NanoBeam AC Gen2 PtMP Quesitons

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Doing a consult for a church and I know I'm going to need a least a couple of NanoBeams to connect buildings that are physically separated. Distance is 100-300 feet between buildings. I think I have a good understanding of what were going to need. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible to explain.

Main Building:
ISP -> Gateway -> 48P POE Switch -> 48V to 24V Converter -> NanoBeam 5AC Bridge

Satellite Building:

<- NanoBeam 5AC Bridge -> 48V to 24V Converter -> 8Port POE Switch Lite -> U6 Pro Access Point

Sound about right?

My question is ... is there a way to cut out the POE switch and use an injector somehow?

I know I need to still power the NanoBeam, but I'm reading online about people using injectors for their AP's along with the POE passthrough port which makes no sense to me because you still need to power the NanoBeam.

The POE passthrough only provides 24V while the U6 Pro AP and most of Ubiquiti AP's require active 48V POE.

1677289351818.png

I wish Ubiquiti offered a smaller switch since all I basically need to do is connect an AP.

@YeOldeStonecat

@thecomputerguy Sorry didn't see the alert....just saw this now.
Use a UAP-M on the back side as it can run on passive...or....swap the radio with the NanoStation 5AC it'll run on and pass on 802.3af

The 5 port switches are good too..small...watch POE budget, we've seen them "not avail" stock wise often in the past year, so when they do come back into stock we grab a bunch of 'em.

Last edited:

Ok so here's what I have going now. I made a mistake about the NanoBeams ... this jobsite does not need NanoBeams. The buildings are detached but there is a covering over the entire property that essentially turns this building into one unit.

Second thing is, using NanoBeams isn't even an option... LoS is horrible here. There is a main office in the back right corner where the ISP and networking stuff is. There is also a GIANT/TALL building (they call the sanctuary) that essentially breaks LoS to the entire property. Even if we mounted a NanoBeam on a 20 foot pole it still wouldn't be high enough. We'll be using outdoor rated Cat6 and will protect with conduit where we can, and as best as we can. The cabling HAS to run along the roof, there is no interior building to building access.

So here is the layout I'm looking at. I brought in my wiring guy and we did a walk through. Home runs from the Office to the farside of the property are too long and will not meet the 100m/328ft code requirement. So I've added switches in the Sanctuary and Fire room to help provide cabling to the rest of the property.

Ceiling mount AP's are not really an option in the Sanctuary. The ceiling is INCREDIBLY high and there is no attic or roof access to the Sanctuary. There is however, a BIG lip on either side of the interior of the Sanctuary. I was thinking about just running cables from the cabling closet in the Sanctuary (where they keep their audio equipment) along top these "big lips" and just securing a U6 Mesh AP wherever I can on top of those lips. The interior lips (At least where the AP's would be) are not accessible without a ladder, and therefore should be safe.

Getting U6 Mesh AP's is another problem. There are out of stock and who knows when they will be in. @YeOldeStonecat what do you think about mounting ceiling mount AP's on a wall instead of a ceiling? Or what about if you just lay them down on their bottom facing up?

I know it's hard to judge the scale of this property but this is what I think the end result looks like ... what do you think?

emm2.jpg

And yes, you are looking at that picture right. Almost the entire WiFi system is going to depend on a Switch Flex Mini because their current wiring was installed with duct tape and silly string by anyone who was willing to run Cat5. Not sure how to fix that without a full re-wire.

Last edited:
Ahh wow...interesting "campus area network" for sure!

Sometimes if you have the ISP feed on one side...or corner....and there's a tall building sorta central to the lot, you just need to get a home run from that building the ISP feeds...to the central unit, and then get a omni directional on a Rocket up high. Then you do you Point to Multi Points from it. Don't always let trees get in the way, I have clients get tree trimming done...just a few branches it all will usually take to open up that "line of site" for the fresnel get make it through. And if it's deciduous trees....just a tree or two in the way doesn't always cause a big bog down..depending on the tree, how "dense" it is, thickness (or thin ness) of branches, etc.

ANYways, looking at the pic...with the "single roof" sorta...covering tween most buildings, point to point probably not worth worrying much about if you can get fiber run to connect the outlying buildings.

As for traditional "saucer" APs...mounting sideways on wall, I avoid that. Yes...yes...for a small room they can work. But..with the saucer APs...they are configured to the signals go out from their perimeter...the range is designed to be "horizontal"...like rings coming off of saturn...a relatively flat plane. There is some up and down...but their strength is horizontal. So when you mount them sideways on a wall....people upstairs or in the basement probably benefit a bit, bu...the rest of the room...only people who are close enough to catch it's vertical range.

You can buy wall mounts for ceiling mount APs so you can mount them properly on a horizontal plane.

Or...yes I love those FlexHDs...U6 Mesh units...they're so flexible, wall mount, surface mount on furniture or a shelf, or..in the ceilings...you can get mounts for them to hangupside down through drop down ceiling tiles. Love those units! They perform sooooo well.
B&H Video has plenty of the prior FlexHD models in stock. I just setup a micro brewery with a couple of those, didn't take much for great coverage.

Ahh wow...interesting "campus area network" for sure!

Sometimes if you have the ISP feed on one side...or corner....and there's a tall building sorta central to the lot, you just need to get a home run from that building the ISP feeds...to the central unit, and then get a omni directional on a Rocket up high. Then you do you Point to Multi Points from it. Don't always let trees get in the way, I have clients get tree trimming done...just a few branches it all will usually take to open up that "line of site" for the fresnel get make it through. And if it's deciduous trees....just a tree or two in the way doesn't always cause a big bog down..depending on the tree, how "dense" it is, thickness (or thin ness) of branches, etc.

ANYways, looking at the pic...with the "single roof" sorta...covering tween most buildings, point to point probably not worth worrying much about if you can get fiber run to connect the outlying buildings.

As for traditional "saucer" APs...mounting sideways on wall, I avoid that. Yes...yes...for a small room they can work. But..with the saucer APs...they are configured to the signals go out from their perimeter...the range is designed to be "horizontal"...like rings coming off of saturn...a relatively flat plane. There is some up and down...but their strength is horizontal. So when you mount them sideways on a wall....people upstairs or in the basement probably benefit a bit, bu...the rest of the room...only people who are close enough to catch it's vertical range.

You can buy wall mounts for ceiling mount APs so you can mount them properly on a horizontal plane.

Or...yes I love those FlexHDs...U6 Mesh units...they're so flexible, wall mount, surface mount on furniture or a shelf, or..in the ceilings...you can get mounts for them to hangupside down through drop down ceiling tiles. Love those units! They perform sooooo well.
B&H Video has plenty of the prior FlexHD models in stock. I just setup a micro brewery with a couple of those, didn't take much for great coverage.

Hmmm .. ok ... my wiring guy seems to think just running outdoor rated Cat6 and hiding it as best as possible and using conduit wherever possible will work ...

Currently they only have WiFi on the north end of the property (per the picture), that looks like the picture below. They do have SOME wiring in the buildings on the south side of the property (per the picture) but those were installed by who knows what and are typically pretty garbage runs.

The ones on the south side paid no attention to try to protect or hide the standard cat6 cable, and much of the cable is just chilling loose on the roof.

My wiring guy said he's going to hide the cable under existing structures as best as possible and use conduit wherever possible where the cable might be exposed even though it's outdoor rated.

emmcurr.jpg

Last edited:
Back