Took them long enough

Galdorf

Reaction score
Been having issues with this update sure it makes me money but still you don`t see issues like this with linux or android or even mac os.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...out-of-windows-10-kb5001649-emergency-update/

I have have a large number of small business and home users switch to macs because of shear number of issues they have with updates when was last time mac os crashes just printing documents.

I very rarely see macs with issues if it does happen its either failing mechanical Hard drive or they dropped a drink on the mac book.
This is the worst time for this to happen with tax preparers they all use same printers that have issues with update.

Last edited:
Now I remember why I started delaying updates on all business computers by a minimum of 30 days lol.

I have have a large number of small business and home users switch to macs . . .

Fools and their money are soon parted if they think that any operating system is 100% free of bugs or update problems.

And anyone who participates on a forum like this should know better than even to make a thinly veiled implication that any are.

The fact is that "bad updates" are:

a) infrequent (regardless of OS)
b) most often bad for a very limited number of the embedded base
c) quickly repaired
and d) these days, often stopped even before reaching the majority of users based on telemetry findings

The amount of knickers in a twist about this particular issue, with a very narrow range of printers from a couple of makers, that has occurred for a very small percentage of users overall is insane. Particularly in light of the patches and how quickly they've appeared.

Hmm, indeed. I made a ton of money off the HP/Mac certificate revoke issue this fall. And I can't count how many Mac users unwittingly send all their documents and desktop to iCloud by not opting OUT (instead of having to opt IN) during a MacOS upgrade, then need me to figure out where all their stuff is. I am always working on MacBook Air systems that don't have enough space to upgrade the OS on them because Apple automatically migrates old iPhoto libraries to Photos and leaves the original on the system, or creates giant cached files in email. I make a fine living fixing the problems Apple causes for their users.

Reactions: GTP
MacOS can't even determine if there is enough drive space before committing to an update. pffft

Imho, I think a lot of "update issues" can be traced back to the garbage software that people run on their PC's.
just sayin...

Absolutely agree. That's why I've been saying, for decades (plural) now, that most issues that I've ever encountered are idiosyncratic to the single machine in question, whether those issues are related to hardware or to software.

The occurrence of truly global bugs, that hit everyone in the user base, has always been exceedingly rare. Since telemetry and the monitoring of same as part of update rollouts has become standard practice they've become even rarer.

It is absolutely impossible for any of the OS developers to have an in-house test bed that covers anything like the billions of hardware configurations that actually exist in the wild. And some of those configurations, due to possibly only one tiny thing, can blow what works for "everyone else" out of the water.

What I also find perversely amusing about hasty "ship jumpers," whether from Mac to PC or vice versa, is they virtually never take into account the productivity hit and really shallow and tedious learning curve that are involved in transitioning to an OS you don't know.

People have no idea how much they do with the OS they're used to that becomes "like breathing" where they are not even really thinking about how an action is taken. It becomes a part of "muscle memory." You have to learn huge swaths of that all over again, and it's often far more frustrating for the things that are "almost identical, but not quite," than for things handled very differently.

And the fact that there does not exist an OS without plusses and minuses, and where any given update might prove to be problematic for you, makes the ship-jumping when in a fit of pique downright stupid.

There are lots of legitimate reasons to consider transitioning from one platform versus another. But these days, "bad updates" is not among them.

I have yet to see Ubuntu have as many issues as windows i take care of Ubuntu servers 30 of them in 15 years i have never had a single issue with updates.
Windows it is a whole other story not to mention the Microsoft exchange security issue and all the ransomware on windows machines.

Not once gave i ever had to remove an update in Ubuntu and these servers have updated from first version all the way to the latest version and does not suffer like windows gets to a point where you have to reformat and load os fresh because it takes 10 mins to load.

Cineplex also uses Ubuntu servers they switched from windows due to all issues they were having with window rot over time Linux does not suffer from that issue i worked for them for over 15 years as a sub contracted tech.

I have little doubt that most Linux distros have fewer update problems than Windows. They're a far less dynamic environment in terms of changes, too.

No one is saying that all OSes have equivalent numbers of issues, just that all do have them, whether you, personally, have ever encountered one or not.

It's no surprise that a platform like Windows, which has an absolutely massive portion of market share, is a juicier target for any form of malware (broadly construed) than platforms with more limited user bases. It's also generally true that the larger the user base the more of a Swiss Army Knife like tool an OS has to be, and nothing is a better example of that than Windows.

But the same kinds of issues that occur under Windows can and do occur under other OSes, just less frequently because there are fewer users overall and fewer changes overall. Which also means, to a great extent, that there's a lot less attention overall.

I LOL when people say "Macs update with no problems"...

I don't have enough time to list issues in the past several Mac updates ...and this server that the forums is on..doesn't have enough space for me to type....
I have clients on Macs...and I frequently deal with those issues.
You mean like when each mac update breaks well known programs? Last one broke Microsoft office for me, said non compatible program. Client needed to purchase a new version.

You mean like when each mac update breaks well known programs? Last one broke Microsoft office for me, said non compatible program. Client needed to purchase a new version.

As with much 3rd party software, eventually a version gets old..and when an OS upgrades....some old apps won't work. Regardless of what the host OS is.
Having Office not work anymore should not be an issue, 365 subscriptions are pretty much forever updating on their own thanks to a cool feature called "Click to Run". No reason to be stuck trying to support Office 2010 or older anymore...say goodbye to old junk!

The recent Apple BigSur upgrade has a few issues we had to deal with. Unable to log in after the last reboot was a fun one, and mice not working was common. I've read of other issues (in researching my fixes to the above)...and noticed other issues. Related to the local workstation, not 3rd party.

Apple gave everybody plenty of notice MacOS starting with Catalina wasn't going to work with 32 bit apps. It's our job to keep track of that kind of stuff and let our clients know the pitfalls. That's why I offer a drop off MacOS upgrade service, where I will make a Time Machine backup, upgrade to the latest version of MacOS, and make sure all the client's apps, email, photos, etc are working fine. I let the client know in advance which apps, like Office 2011, will no longer work (Apples and Microsoft's fault, not mine) and let them know what their options are.

Upgrades to client systems, whether they cause unexpected problems or not, are revenue generators.

Upgrades to client systems, whether they cause unexpected problems or not, are revenue generators.

I doubt that anyone would argue this point. But the point being discussed is the myth of the idea that updates to MacOS, Linux, etc., "just never cause problems."

There is no OS, or piece of application software for that matter, where updates will not occasionally cause problems. And those who believe otherwise are in for a very rude awakening.

As with much 3rd party software, eventually a version gets old..and when an OS upgrades....some old apps won't work. Regardless of what the host OS is.
Having Office not work anymore should not be an issue, 365 subscriptions are pretty much forever updating on their own thanks to a cool feature called "Click to Run". No reason to be stuck trying to support Office 2010 or older anymore...say goodbye to old junk!

The recent Apple BigSur upgrade has a few issues we had to deal with. Unable to log in after the last reboot was a fun one, and mice not working was common. I've read of other issues (in researching my fixes to the above)...and noticed other issues. Related to the local workstation, not 3rd party.

Just chucked both my original Windows 2000 Pro and Office 2000 Pro installation CD's into the trash yesterday; those were the days!

Back