[REQUEST] Thunderbird won't print emails

LedHed

Reaction score
Hello all,
Not sure of the system specs on this machine but it is Windows 10 with the latest version of Thunderbird. It was a remote session, and I couldn't get very far before she had to go. I told her I would research the problem and I'm waiting for her to call me back.

I've tried to research this on my own but, I can only find some very old (and not useful) posts. Here is the situation:

Every other program on her computer prints just fine. When she tries to print from Thunderbird to any printer (she has several available) nothing happens. No error message, no stuck print jobs -- nothing.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this and can give me some direction on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Hello all,
Not sure of the system specs on this machine but it is Windows 10 with the latest version of Thunderbird. It was a remote session, and I couldn't get very far before she had to go. I told her I would research the problem and I'm waiting for her to call me back.

I've tried to research this on my own but, I can only find some very old (and not useful) posts. Here is the situation:

Every other program on her computer prints just fine. When she tries to print from Thunderbird to any printer (she has several available) nothing happens. No error message, no stuck print jobs -- nothing.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this and can give me some direction on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Next time your remoted in do a print preview and see if anything shows up. Then try a print. I have not had that problem but then again, I do not use win10.

I do have clients with win10 and thunderbird and have not heard of any problems doing it. Im sure they do as thunderbird is their go to email client.

Be sure the correct printer is chosen or has a green "default" check mark on it in Control Panel. Too many just hit the print button and expect Windows to know where it's supposed to print.

or has a green "default" check mark on it in Control Panel

F8#king Windows 10 and it's screwball way of doing default printers. Unless you manually make a printer the default, the "default" is the last printer you printed to. Who in hell ever thought that was a good idea? When I'm setting up a printer for a client, i always manually set the default to avoid this nonsense.

If the client is using IMAP access to their e-mail accounts I'd be far more inclined to nuke Thunderbird (and their profile along with it) then reinstall and configure from scratch.

This has to be "a Thunderbird thing" in this case because you've already said it only affects Thunderbird and nothing else. You could spend weeks, literally, trying to track down the root cause and, perhaps, be unsuccessful.

If you do go the nuking route make sure that EVERYTHING is gone, including existing user profiles and data files for Thunderbird. Of course, you have to be sure they're using IMAP before doing this, otherwise they could lose quite a bit of old e-mail. If they're using POP on any ESP that supports IMAP, then I'd export the messages from that account/those accounts for importing after the new Thunderbird setup is complete, but I'd also set up those accounts as IMAP in the new setup.

@britechguy,
Yes, it's IMAP. I forgot to mention this before. Thanks for the info about removing everything. I wasn't sure about how to proceed or what should be removed.

I have to go there in a few days for something else, not going to try to do this remotely.

Back