Laser Printer recommendation

Rosco

Reaction score
I have a new client running a successful holistic business out of her house. She has a mid-range brother color laser printer that is not keeping up with the demand she needs. It burned out after just six months. She prints about 500 waterproof labels a week for her products. What color laser printer can keep up with that sort of demand? I had the Canon Color imageCLASS MF741Cdw as my first thought until I heard of the amount of printing per week. Price isn't a huge issue if it is the right fit. The client is getting a grant to pay for it. Thanks in advance!

That Canon would be a valid choice. While it's monthly rated print jobs isn't published, the sibling model just under it, the MF731CDW, is spec'd at 4,000 recommended per month. (max volume is well above that but focus on the recommended).

I'd also strongly consider HP LaserJet Pros in the upper 500 and 600 model range.

How many sheets is that? How do those sheets differ from #20 paper which is typical printer copy paper? I checked the specs for a 745Cdw, which I presume is the replacement. Surprisingly it's 750 pages to 4000 pages per month rated.

Does she need an AIO?
Why does she need to print them herself? As @nlinecomputers implied getting things commercially printed is better. As in much cheaper.
Also color label printers are quite common these days.

If she is doing that kind of volume maybe she should look at having the labels professionally printed.

What was the model of Brother that died?
I did suggest this. I guess it is cheaper to get a good printer. Which makes sense but....
How many sheets is that? How do those sheets differ from #20 paper which is typical printer copy paper? I checked the specs for a 745Cdw, which I presume is the replacement. Surprisingly it's 750 pages to 4000 pages per month rated.

Does she need an AIO?
Why does she need to print them herself? As @nlinecomputers implied getting things commercially printed is better. As in much cheaper.
Also color label printers are quite common these days.

I would say maybe two labels per page. They are big. No, she doesn't need an AIO. Current brother is just a laser printer.

Rather get something beefier than have another printer burnout. She said it was the 3rd printer in a year. No idea if that is true.

Commercial printing services have always been way cheaper than self owned for large jobs. So it really depends on how her needs are structured.

For instance if she uses a generic color patters for a background on all labels she could get those done commercially then use a B&W or color to fill in all the rest. And don't forget about dedicated label printers. Epson has a C6500A which handles 8" wide labels.

Commercial printing services have always been way cheaper than self owned for large jobs. So it really depends on how her needs are structured.

For instance if she uses a generic color patters for a background on all labels she could get those done commercially then use a B&W or color to fill in all the rest. And don't forget about dedicated label printers. Epson has a C6500A which handles 8" wide labels.

The epson looks great but is listed as inkjet. She has said it needs to be a laser since it needs to be waterproof.

Has she considered commercial thermal printing?
She has priced out the outsourcing of this before, she has said. It is a very high price(according to her). She is adamant about getting a printer. Even if it is pricey, it seems.

Has she considered stepping up to a copier that is supported by a dealer? Like a big Xerox or Canon or whatever? A machine like that might be better overall and would have local techs to keep them going.

Some of my clients already have machines like that. I recently met a dealer of Xerox equipment that stays out of IT stuff. I’m going to look at them next time a client needs something.

The epson looks great but is listed as inkjet. She has said it needs to be a laser since it needs to be waterproof.
In that case I'd recommend something like HP CLJ Enterprise M555dn. Note that the 500 page second tray is extra. And she needs to get a handle on the label paper specs. The stiffer it is the more difficulty she will have. I had one customer where we ended up having to print the stock using the MP tray and opening the back door so the print job has a straight path.

Back