Synology NAS locked out

1on1 Computer Services

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Got in my first Synology NAS yesterday and I'm setting it up for a client. I had everything configured, added their users, and folder structure, then POOF, I can't log in now. I keep getting "You are not authorized to use this service".

I have tried all the admin user accounts, tried different browser, tried from different networks, same thing across the board. Google shows this happening quite a bit to these devices, and point to my IP being blocked by the security settings, but I have no way to access the config to change it. I tried ssh and can't get logged in.

Any advise other than reset and rebuild? There's no data on it right now, just the config I did.

Thanks

Just a thought - try disabling iPv6 on your computer. Also, there is the ability to block by IP, so you could try changing the IP of your computer as well in case you somehow ended up on the blacklist.

My 2 cents - their support has been AWESOME each time I've contacted them. They've even done raid repairs remotely via ssh for me from booting from recovery media..

Reactions: GTP
My 2 cents - their support has been AWESOME each time I've contacted them. They've even done raid repairs remotely via ssh for me from booting from recovery media..

Hmm, I've given up on the support and just go to the forums now. It seemed like the answer from support was always a fresh reload of the OS.

Hmm, I've given up on the support and just go to the forums now. It seemed like the answer from support was always a fresh reload of the OS.

I've only tried on the 4 bay, but you can take all the drives out, put a new single drive in, install the os - then plug in 3 of the 4 drives - and mount them. Their support has done this with/for me twice when I had a drive fail and it crashed during rebuild.

(I've run like 20 of these over the last 10 years, only those 2 times needing recovery so far)

Found this in the quick reference guide under the Reset Button:

1. Press and hold until you hear a beep sound to restore the default IP
address, DNS server, and password for the admin account.
2. Press and hold until you hear a beep sound, then press and hold again
until you hear three beep sounds to return the DiskStation to “Not Installed”
status so that DiskStation Manager (DSM) can be reinstalled.

Ended up using the 1 option to get back into the Admin account.

Just an FYI if you ever run into this issue.

Back