Strangest power issue - I'm about to start crying

drjones

Reaction score
Client is a medical facility.

We're upgrading their XP boxes to brand new Dell/win7 Opti.

Got a super nice, almost $2k 9020 for the office manager.

Runs great on our bench, no issues. Install it in her office, runs ok for a day or two. Get a call from her that it won't boot.

Go through the whole rigamarole over probably a week; reset CMOS, different power strips, NEW power strip, etc.

Dell sends out a tech to replace mobo based on power button flashing light code.

Client calls me THE NEXT DAY after mobo replacement with the exact same issue.

Dell sends a replacement machine. I've had this new one on my bench for a week and a half, testing, stressing, booting, rebooting the hell out of it. It's perfect.

Bring it here to the office, set it up in a spare office to re-join to domain, install software, etc. and no issues. It's running great.

I get it ALL READY, put it in her office.....and it won't boot.

Power button flashing just like the original unit did.

I tried two different power strips, no luck.

Old PC is a custom-built rig, 390w PSU, this new dell is only a 290w PSU.

WHAT THE HECK???????

I'm going to cry and/or start shooting something....what is happening????

She's calling an electrician to come look at this.

The ONLY thing I can think of is PFC PSU and it doesn't like the electricity it's getting, but why does it work elsewhere in the office??

So if you plug it into a different power outlet it will boot fine? Wasn't clear on that part.

It could be something as simple as the outlet you are using has "dirty" power. An electrician would be a good call. That outlet could be on a different circuit, or have something crossing its line causing interference.

Try a good APC UPS and see if it kicks in often. That should tell you a little about the power conditions.

I'm calling an exorcist & grabbing my AR-15. Electrician just left & everything checked out clean, problem also would not manifest itself again.

Sometimes this job....argh!!!!!

I'm calling an exorcist & grabbing my AR-15. Electrician just left & everything checked out clean, problem also would not manifest itself again.

Sometimes this job....argh!!!!!

I bet he found a problem and thought that it was so minimal that he'd not share the info with you or anyone else. ;)

Reminds me of a story about a machine that had problems. I was in the elevator with the operator as she was going on about it and I asked her if it did it in the same place all of the time? Her reply was "oh yes, it does it upstairs and downstairs."

Well I thought it was funny. :D

But seriously it sounds more like a power problem to me in that the dr's office may have some sort of power issues because of their medical equipment - pulling a lot of amperage at various times of the day causing this unit to not work well. And you say "why doesn't it affect all the other equipment, also?" I no answer for that. If you have a power line monitor at your disposal I'd certainly put it inline with this computer to see if there is some sort of 'funky' power drawl going on when this computer acts up.

Last edited:
Make sure there is no issues with the Network cabling as well. Years ago I had a weird issue that was killing machines that finally traced back to reverse wiring on the power plug for the hub. Convinced the rather frugal owner that yes he DID need UPS units on his network equipment.

Power issues are such a pia hunt down. On more than one occasion I've had an electrician tell me the circuit is good, only to continue to have problems. Plugging in a good ups is a good suggestion. If it pops, it has to be the circuit. Honestly it sounds like you already know that, but the ups could provide evidence for the client/electrician.

If I remember electricity 101 (and I'm sure I don't) your new pc is probably pulling more amps than the old one, causing the issues on what may be a near capacity circuit. (Someone check me if I am wrong). Did the electrician check the circuit under load including with the pc running?

You might also need to rent a Recording DVM. One that logs onto a paper tape all the voltage spikes. Just because an electrician did a quick test with a DVM doesn't mean you don't have dirty power.

I second the UPS, that way the power is conditioned a little. The reasoning I would use is that we've tried 2 computers, at least 1 with the board replaced, everything tests good on the bench where I know we've got good power, so there has to be something on their end in your opinion, and if not, the UPS should help make sure they've got clean power going to their new system.

You might also need to rent a Recording DVM. One that logs onto a paper tape all the voltage spikes. Just because an electrician did a quick test with a DVM doesn't mean you don't have dirty power.

APC's SmartUPS line has the ability to log events over time to a connected PC that has their software loaded.

I assume you've tried connected directly to the wall? I've dealt with Dells that use PSUs that just plain don't like simulated sine wave UPS's. I assume if you've gone through this much trouble that is ruled out but I thought I would mention it.

UPS all the way... also check and see if there is enough current flow on the line.
The electrician might say it's okay but who knows if he tested how much current he could run over the line.

Keep some APC 550 models in stock (good models for workstations).
Next time a weird issue like this comes up...take one and put it in.

Price of one of those APC 550 models (~70 bucks) likely less than 1x hour of your time. How much time was spent, back 'n forth trips?

Keep some APC 550 models in stock (good models for workstations).
Next time a weird issue like this comes up...take one and put it in.

Price of one of those APC 550 models (~70 bucks) likely less than 1x hour of your time. How much time was spent, back 'n forth trips?

Forgot about these, just ordered one. Thanks

Is this an older building, sounds more like a power problem.
I've seen residential apartments have so many outlets and switches tied in to one breaker. Plug in the curling iron and pops the breaker.
Try running an extension to an outlet (that's on a different breaker) this could prove the overload theory.

I completely agree with UPS suggestions.

As has been previously mentioned, check anything else that plugs into the computer that is not in your shop, IE in-wall network cable.

Had a very similar issue with a 3020; ended up being a USB printer plugged in causing system not to power on (w/flashing power light). Removed printer, system powered on OK.

I bet he found a problem and thought that it was so minimal that he'd not share the info with you or anyone else. ;)

That's very likely...

But seriously it sounds more like a power problem to me in that the dr's office may have some sort of power issues because of their medical equipment - pulling a lot of amperage at various times of the day causing this unit to not work well. And you say "why doesn't it affect all the other equipment, also?" I no answer for that. If you have a power line monitor at your disposal I'd certainly put it inline with this computer to see if there is some sort of 'funky' power drawl going on when this computer acts up.

That's the thing; they don't have any equipment in there! It's strictly admin / patient exams. No X-rays or other high-powered electrical equip.

This thread has got me worried now. Supplied a Optiplex 3020 a few months ago and the customer has exactly the same problem. Dell are making an onsite visit next week, but they haven't specified what they are going to replace yet (I'm guessing Mobo/PSU).

It seems the recent Optiplex PSUs are overly sensitive?

Good suggestion about the printer USB cable though.

Back