Dell custom power supplies and motherboards

Galdorf

Reaction score
It is quite annoying how hard it is to get a custom power supply for dell machines tried contacting dell direct they have none in stock also tried ebay and amazon and other online stores not a single one in stock anywhere it is 750w the machine is a 12th gen intel i7 not that old they still sell these also thing is it has a bunch of small cables plugging in all over the motherboard.
Only thing i can think of is buying new case and motherboard and power supply and moving it all over i would never personally buy anything like this it is a nightmare finding replacement parts.

Learning how to repair power supplies is a skill with a high ROI. I can't tell you how many emergency repairs I've done on unique power supplies for local businesses in minutes when other businesses couldn't find a supply or get one for days. The guy I learned from isn't around any longer but this guy I found on YT gives a great explanation. For emergency PS supplies we can easily get $300 for an hour's work.

Also are you sure it's really a bad supply issue? Do you have 5v STBY voltage? No shorts on the 12v, 5v and 3v rails? Today's power supplies are smart supplies that will not power on or shut off quickly if they detect an issue.

I think the industry is moving away from techs being parts changers and guys that can diagnose and repair electronics in high demand.

Not around here.

Nor here, either. For something, anything really, to be worth repairing the cost of the repair tech's time, combined with the parts, has to be less than the cost of a replacement in order for the concept of repair to even be viable. And it's only for very expensive, and generally "exotic" things, where that's the case in the world of computing that I live in.

Even for things like cars, there's a reason that things come as modules/assemblies. Most of the failures in a single item in one of those could be easily repaired at its own level, but the time needed to get to it, and the possiblility of other things showing up soon after in the same unit, make that a non-starter. You just pull the assembly and put in a new one.

I can't ever see power supply repair for a dirt common power supply becoming a viable business model.

This issue here as I read the OP is that the OP needs a beefed-up PSU for a Dell. Dell uses proprietary power supplies. You have to use their stuff. You can't upgrade a Dell, HP, or Lenovo like you can a whitebox clone. If you want to use a gaming video card, with its high power demands you are going to have to build a custom PC. PSU repair is irrelevant to the OP question/rant here.

I have never seen a Dell power supply that couldn't be changed out with a non-Dell, along with the correct wiring adapter.

I have never seen a Dell power supply that couldn't be changed out with a non-Dell, along with the correct wiring adapter.
In a standard tower yes but the Micro SPF units are harder to source. But I generally don't have trouble sourcing Dell PSUs. It just takes a few days.

Yeah, Dell has 3 sizes. MiniTower (MT), Desktop (Small Form Factor), and Desktop (Micro Form Factor).

The tower is obvious, the SFF is basically a mini tower that's flat, horizontal mainboard, with a TFX like PSU in it, but not pinned out standard. You can get adapters though, I have made TFX supplies fit.

Then there's the MFF, which is the size of a book, and uses an external 90w adapter. These are VERY popular, and I love them to death... only real downside is the center pin on the power adapter is fragile, and when it cracks it drops the CPU to 800mhz.

This issue here as I read the OP is that the OP needs a beefed-up PSU for a Dell. Dell uses proprietary power supplies. You have to use their stuff. You can't upgrade a Dell, HP, or Lenovo like you can a whitebox clone. If you want to use a gaming video card, with its high power demands you are going to have to build a custom PC. PSU repair is irrelevant to the OP question/rant here.
How I read it and I don't see anything about upgrading the PSU:

It is quite annoying how hard it is to get a custom power supply for dell machines.
(I) tried contacting dell direct they have none in stock also tried ebay and amazon and other online stores not a single one in stock anywhere.
It is 750w the machine is a 12th gen intel i7 not that old they still sell these.
Also thing is it has a bunch of small cables plugging in all over the motherboard.

Pretty sure those small PSU's like those found in Dell and HP SFF are not proprietary. I used to stock those when I had a customer that as a Micky D's franchise. The enclosure size has very few variations but they do have different harness assemblies.

Back