Starting a legally Computer Repair Business in California?

Yep, that is the way they do it, just gotta make sure you don't touch home stuff, also I believe CA has a statewide deal about LV jobs over $600 so watch out for getting hit with fines for not pulling permits on low voltage jobs if they run over.

More good information! Thanks SprinterTech. +1 to your rep sir.

Hey Mike: I didn't have BEAR for about 5 years. One day, some BEAR dude knocked on my door apartment door. I thought he was fake at first, but it was real (I'd never even heard of BEAR). Apparently, some other company in the area "reported" me for not being registered (that's what the guy told me, which means I was doing good in my area :)). There was no penalty since I just paid immediately. It seems that since there are SO many rules, they are pretty lenient if you "don't know" about them but then start paying them immediately.

BTW if you get the LLC name you do not have to file a fictitious name with the county.

Also depending on the city if you are doing this from your home you will need a special Home zoning permit to operate out if it.

Why I am starting up a business in CA, I guess like punishing myself. The fees, Permits, Licensing, Taxes and so on are outrageous. Most states charge LLC only $100 a year, not CA $800.

I used CalGold to search for all the fees, permits and licenses needed for my city and here is the result:

Building and Construction Permit: Plans for new buildings, renovations, and tenant improvements must be checked in advance of building permit issuance. Required for residential and commercial construction work. It may include the following: Other Inspection and Fees Permit Fee For Residential Aluminum Patio Covers, Grading Permit, Plumbing Permit, Mechanical Permit, and Electrical Permit.

Business License: Required for any person or entity doing business or carrying on a trade within the city limits.

Fire Prevention Information/Inspection:
All businesses are inspected annually to ensure conformance with the uniform fire code.

Home Occupation Permit: Required if business will be operated out of home.

Police Regulations/Public Safety Issues: Some city police departments offer business crime prevention programs and may also issue permits for certain activities i.e. burglar alarm, solicitors, firearm sales, etc. - requirements vary from city to city. Most cities have an ordinance requiring a permit to have an illegal entry alarm.

Zoning/Land Plan Use: Business location must conform with General Plan and zoning ordinance regulations, such as location, building height, setbacks, parking and signage.

Fictitious Name Filing: A Fictitious Business Name is required when the business name does not include the surname of the individual owner(s) and each of the partners; or the business name suggests the existance of additional owners; or the nature of the business in not clearly evident by the name of the business. For example Bill Smith and Sons Plumbing would require a FBN because the name implies additional owners, Bill Smith Plumbing does not require a FBN. Bill Smith Industries would require a FBN because it does not identify the nature of the business.

Notification to Assessor of Business Activity: Businesses are required to notify the County Assessor's Office of new business activities.

Air Tanks Permit: Required of all businesses using (1) pressurized tanks with a volume greater than 1.5 cubic feet and containing greater than 150 PSI (pounds per square inch) of air; (2) Steam boilers over 15 PSI; or (3) retail stationary propane tanks.

Corporation, Company or Partnership Filings:
If you are considering becoming a corporation, (either stock or nonprofit), a limited liability company or a partnership (limited, or limited liability), you must file with the Secretary of State's Office.

Electronics Repair License: Any person or entity that repairs electronic goods or components for personal, family, or home office use must be licensed.

Occupational Safety and Health Information: Businesses with employees must prepare an Injury and Illness Prevention Plan. The state provides a no-fee consultation service to assist employers with preventing unsafe working conditions and workplace hazards.

Registration Form for Employers: Required to file a registration form within 15 days after paying more than $100.00 in wages to one or more employees. No distinction is made between full-time and part-time or permanent and temporary employees in meeting this requirement.

Sales & Use Permit (Seller's Permit): All businesses selling or leasing tangible property must obtain a Seller's Permit.

State Income Tax Information: Businesses should obtain the appropriate State income tax forms from the Franchise Tax Board.

Wage/Hour Laws: Businesses with employees must comply with laws establishing minimum standards for wages, hours and working conditions.

Workers' Compensation Information: Businesses with employees must maintain Workers' Compensation Insurance coverage on either a self-insured basis, or provided through a commercial carrier, or the State Workers' Compensation Insurance Fund.

Employer Identification Number (EIN or SSN): Employers with employees, business partnerships, and corporations, must obtain an Employer Identification Number from the I.R.S. Businesses can obtain appropriate Federal income tax forms from this location.

Proof of Residency Requirement: Employees hired after November 6, 1986 must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.

and now you know why businesses are leaving CA. I would have included links however I cannot as I am a new poster.

Where in the Great State of California do you operate? Impossible to find from your site.
I guess you are in So Cal. Welcome

Are you mobile or building a store?

From the paperwork you listed one would surmise that you are
building or retrofitting a building, Building and Construction Permit:

working from home Home Occupation Permit:

Installing a Burglar Alarm Police Regulations/Public Safety Issues:

Putting up a Sign? Zoning/Land Plan Use:

Putting in a big compressor (>150psi is a lot of air) or storing propane tanks Air Tanks Permit:

Repairing Electronics(natch)Electronics Repair License:

Reselling Sales & Use Permit (Seller's Permit):

Paying taxes (of course) State Income Tax Information:

Hiring Employees Occupational Safety and Health Information: Registration Form for Employers: Wage/Hour Laws: Workers' Compensation Information: Employer Identification Number (EIN or SSN): Proof of Residency Requirement:

Enough to give you writers cramp just reading it.

Last edited:
We are a new company just starting out. So I legally cannot advertise were we will be doing business until all our forms and fees are finished. I am working with a lawyer to make sure everything is legal. For the time being I am just getting the brand out there.

I had stated that this was a CalGold search of licenses needed to start a computer repair business. Search term used was computer repair.

I will be located in the Southern California area.

Answers to your questions:

From the paperwork you listed one would surmise that you are
building or retrofitting a building, Building and Construction Permit:
Will not be needed for my business. This was just from the search from CalGold. I would have just create a link but I cannot do that until I have posted 15 times.

working from home Home Occupation Permit: Will be needed. fees from $50 to $200

Installing a Burglar Alarm Police Regulations/Public Safety Issues: Yes, my home has to be inspected by the local city.

Putting up a Sign? Zoning/Land Plan Use: My house has to authorized by the zoning commitee so I can do business from it. The want to make sure that I do not create traffic for my neighborhood.

Putting in a big compressor (>150psi is a lot of air) or storing propane tanks Air Tanks Permit: Required as I have a 200psi compressor in my garage. The inspector told me I had to do this.

Repairing Electronics(natch)Electronics Repair License: This is the BEAR license everyone is talking about. Without it expect to get a min of $250 fine if you get caught fixing a home users computer.

Reselling Sales & Use Permit (Seller's Permit): Need to sell components and software to the clients

Paying taxes (of course) State Income Tax Information: Required to operate any business in the State of CA

Hiring Employees Occupational Safety and Health Information: Registration Form for Employers: Wage/Hour Laws: Workers' Compensation Information: even if you just have 1 employee.

Employer Identification Number (EIN or SSN): Proof of Residency Requirement: Required to do business in State of CA.

Last edited:
Welcome again.
I understand the hoops you have to go through and the checks you have to write to get things going here. Glad to hear you don't have to pay or fill out everything you listed.

The BEAR tax is a pain, plus they share your information with the tax board, to make sure you're payed up. The alarm fee is another and depending on where you live it can cost around $150 for a false alarm.

Good luck when you finally get things started.

If your a single owner with LLC, you can avoid the $800. Talk to your tax prepare.

Filing Guidelines

All LLCs classified as corporations that organize in California, register in California, conduct business in California, or receive California source income, must file California Form 100. The California Form 100 must be filed by the 15th day of the 3rd month after the close of the LLC’s taxable year.

The LLC will be taxed at the corporate tax rate of 8.84 percent and will be subject to a minimum tax of $800.

All LLCs classified as partnerships or disregarded entities that organize in California, register in California, or conduct business in California, must file California Form 568 Limited Liability Company Return of Income. California Form 568 must be filed by the 15th day of the 4th month after the close of the LLC’s taxable year.

An LLC required to file Form 568 pays an annual tax of $800, and may be subject to an LLC fee based on total income from all sources derived from or attributable to the state of California. The annual tax is due by the 15th day of the 4th month of the taxable year, and is paid using CA Form 3522, Limited Liability Company Tax Voucher.

In addition, an LLC filing Form 568 which has members who are not residents of California must file FTB 3832, Limited Liability Company Nonresident Members' Consent with Form 568. FTB 3832 is signed by the nonresident individuals and foreign entity members to show their consent to California’s jurisdiction to tax their distributive share of income attributable to California sources. The LLC must pay the tax for every nonresident member who did not sign a FTB 3832.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/b....shtml?WT.mc_id=Business_Popular_LLCstructure

I've been in the business here in CA for 4 years now and this is the first I've heard of this. Who says you "must" get an ERL? Neither my County or the State has required me to do it. I wonder how many other CA techs haven't heard of this....
Yao have only been open for one month in Grass Valley CA and this morning two officers from the department of consumer affairs came into my business and gave me a $250 fine and said we must comply within 30 days or risk heavier fines and possible shutdown if we didn’t get the license. I was like you hadn’t heard of this license but apparently it is very real I don’t know if we got turned in but I think the fact that it is a smaller town and we are the first cell phone repair shop to be in the town and we have a great downtown location so everyone can see us including them. I think one of them just happened to see us and looked us up and saw we didn’t have the license so they came in. Anyways it kinda sucks it’s costing us $190 to get the license. I am not sure how hard it is to get yet cause I am just now trying to get it. I’ll give more info once I’ve gotten it.

Yao have only been open for one month in Grass Valley CA and this morning two officers from the department of consumer affairs came into my business and gave me a $250 fine and said we must comply within 30 days or risk heavier fines and possible shutdown if we didn’t get the license. I was like you hadn’t heard of this license but apparently it is very real I don’t know if we got turned in but I think the fact that it is a smaller town and we are the first cell phone repair shop to be in the town and we have a great downtown location so everyone can see us including them. I think one of them just happened to see us and looked us up and saw we didn’t have the license so they came in. Anyways it kinda sucks it’s costing us $190 to get the license. I am not sure how hard it is to get yet cause I am just now trying to get it. I’ll give more info once I’ve gotten it.

Take it to a jury trial. Even if you loose it costs them time and money and sends a clear message not to **** with you again that there isn't any money in it.

They call that the cost of doing business.

But I do agree take it to trial you may be able to get the fine dropped if you can show you are in the process of getting the license and it was an honest mistake

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

"I am not sure how hard it is to get yet cause I am just now trying to get it."

AFAIK, if you have a name, you're in. I don't think there are any specific requirements other than paying up.

Back