[SOLVED] SONY VAIO VPCEH32FX Laptop

Altster

Reaction score
I have a beautiful SONY Vaio Laptop in for service, model VPCEH32FX, which had a defective hard drive. The drive has since been replaced and the O/S (Windows 7Home Premium 64bit) has been reloaded. However when the battery is in the unit the computer attempts to go into hibernation mode shortly after being powered on. The exact wording on the screen is:

"The installed battery may not be properly connected to the computer or may not be compatible with the computer.

Click "OK" to enter Hibernate mode, and remove and reinsert the battery.

See the electronic VAIO(R) User Guide for more information about using the battery."

It has a SONY rechargeable battery pack installed when it gives the error. P/N VGP-BPS26 and as far as I know this is the original battery for this unit. If I remove the battery the computer works fine - as long as it is connected to the AC adapter.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
does the laptop have the oem diagnostics tools, where you press a key during bootup to go to the memory test, smart test, battery test. i'm probably thinking of the hp or dell laptops but maybe the sony has that as well.

Have you installed the Sony Power Management software?

In addition, are there any firmware upgrades/BIOS upgrades that could be applied?

Andy

Sony batteries are glitchy in general. If you want the easy way out, you can try uninstalling the VAIO utility package. Otherwise a clean install and try to only manually install drivers.

I recently had a Sony in to rebuild. Client had not created any restore discs, so just did a clean install, and downloaded all the utilities from the website. It went as well as it could, but the client wasn't happy, as it did not include all the original Sony software. Had to explain that the only way to get the original software back, was to use the restore CD's that they hadn't created. Eventually, the client agreed to purchasing the restore CD's from Sony. Yes, it added cost to the job, but it worked and the client was happy.

Andy

I recently had a Sony in to rebuild. Client had not created any restore discs, so just did a clean install, and downloaded all the utilities from the website. It went as well as it could, but the client wasn't happy, as it did not include all the original Sony software. Had to explain that the only way to get the original software back, was to use the restore CD's that they hadn't created. Eventually, the client agreed to purchasing the restore CD's from Sony. Yes, it added cost to the job, but it worked and the client was happy.

Andy

I've done this in the past, too. And if it turns out that the client wished to have it done that way he can bear the cost of the restore CD's / DVD's.

BTW, after the clean installation and my NOT installing some of the SONY software I've not seen the issue crop up again.

Back