[solved] My Documents Folder Redirection

thecoldone06

Reaction score
I have a Windows 2000 domain using AD. I have a GPO for redirection of all My Documents set to go back to the server. If i do a gpresult on everyones computer, it shows that they have the GPO applied however everyones my documents is still trying to redirect to the old location. any ideas on how i can force the new path on my users?

I have seen this and Im not sure if there is a good way to do it I just end up making the change manually. For me its about 80% are redirecting to the current 19% to the local disk and 1% may be directing to the old server location.

I've had a similar problem

im guessing the home directory is something like \\server\home\%username%

try adding their home area as a drive during (if you havn't already) say H:

then in group policy instead of having a redirecting path to:
\\server\home\%username%
try the drive letter (H: ) instead

worked for me.

Unless you use mandatory profiles?

ps. don't forget gpupdate :)

Last edited:
@Blues: for some reason it will not allow me to change it manually. Weirdest thing I've seen.

@hext: That is exactly how i have my path setup. I will try mapping the drive and let you know what i come back with.

Thanks guys!

I figured it out. everyone seemed to have the "allow offline files" which forced it to keep trying to sync with the old location. Once i took off offline files, did a gpupdate, all is well. Thanks you guys for your help, much appreciated. :)

Back