Snappy Driver Installer

But you are using up bandwidth of other users.
I wouldn't worry about it. I live in a wealthy neighborhood full of computer illiterate people (1/2 of them over 50). I doubt they're using much bandwidth. Besides, the infrastructure can easily handle it.

Seems like you have too much time on your hands.
It literally takes a couple of minutes to download a popular torrent and let it run. In total I probably spend 5 minutes a month doing this.

I wouldn't worry about it. I live in a wealthy neighborhood full of computer illiterate people (1/2 of them over 50). I doubt they're using much bandwidth. Besides, the infrastructure can easily handle it.
Except that a lot of these customers have multiple "smart" TVs running and they're all using the Internet for streaming and what-not. I'm assuming that streaming TV programs take a fair amount of bandwidth.

Have you ever met an old person? They can barely handle having a TV and a Comcast cable box.

Have you ever thought about what comes out of your mouth before saying it?

If you honestly think that "over 50" is either old and/or tech illiterate then you are as clueless as I constantly think you are. You need to come out of that garage and interact with the real world, which is quite unlike what you've constructed in that strange mind of yours.

If you honestly think that "over 50" is either old and/or tech illiterate then you are as clueless as I constantly think you are.
I don't know what to tell you. Almost everyone I know who's over 50 can barely operate the radios in their cars (unless they have an old car), let alone use "smart" technology. They can barely use their phones to make a phone call and text. How the heck do you think people like us have jobs? Because everyone is a whiz at this stuff? We're talking about the same type of people who insist that they've never had a password to their email and fall for scammers claiming to be calling from "Microsoft." These are not "tech literate" people.

Do you have any idea how hard it was to transition my Media Center clients to something else? I mean, heck, it took them 5 years to learn how to use Media Center. Going from Media Center to Roku was insanely difficult for them and they still hate it even after all this time.

Maybe you live in some weird place where there are a lot of techy old people, but I don't.

Almost everyone I know who's over 50 can barely operate the radios in their cars (unless they have an old car), let alone use "smart" technology. They can barely use their phones to make a phone call and text.

You need to get out more - way more.

I'm not trying to say that those over 50 (or under 50, for that matter) are all technicians who need no need of professional assistance, ever. But I know of virtually no one that "can barely operate the radios in their cars" or use their smartphones for calling, texting, and, very often MMS-ing with photos.

There are a few, of course, but it doesn't characterize those who've spent most of their lives growing old as technology was growing up, and they were part of using it since its infancy. I don't know of any people under 60 who are not very comfortable with PCs as an end user and most can use multiple apps on smartphones - the ones that do something they want or need to do.

Have you ever met an old person? They can barely handle having a TV and a Comcast cable box.

That's what I've noticed in my area too. I get people that will ask me about "smart tv's and rokus" and I tell them to proceed cautiously because they may not know what they're doing or figure it out. Must just depend on location apparently because this is what I mostly see....now there's exceptions. Some folks are up with it very well but not the vast majority in my area. It's actually kind of a relief when someone is up to snuff. Less BS to go through lol.

@britechguy LOL coincidentally my neighbor just called me asking me to show her how to take a picture and send it to her daughter via text. This woman can't be a day over 50 and might be much younger than that (I'm terrible at guessing people's age - they all look so much older to me than they are). I told her that I couldn't meet her because of Coronavirus but that I could do Facetime or Zoom and she had no idea what either of those things were so I pointed her to an article online to read. I tried to walk her through downloading the Zoom app but she couldn't remember her password to download it.

A week ago I got a client in that couldn't figure out how to disconnect his phone from the bluetooth in his car. I tell people to call when they get here. So this guy gets out of his car, comes up to my door, and calls me. He can't hear me of course because I'm coming through the bluetooth in his car. It takes him no less than 20 minutes in my driveway to figure out how to call me and have it actually work. The whole time I'm helpless because there's no way I'm going out there and risking getting infected because bozo can't figure out how to work his phone.

Must just depend on location apparently because this is what I mostly see
Most old people don't even know how to deal with multiple windows in Windows. They understand that minimizing makes the window go away, but they have no idea where it goes or what to do with it or how to get it back. I'd say 80% of old people who I've done a nuke n' pave for or who I've sold a new computer to have NO IDEA how to connect to their WiFi when they get home. Most insist that they don't have a password. I don't know where these mythical wizardly old people are that @britechguy is talking about, but they don't exist here.

I'm finding I need to run SDIO on almost every N&P lately. There was a time when Win10 update would be enough on its own but nowadays it leaves several unidentified components. Thankfully SDIO never fails to fix that.

There was a time when Win10 update would be enough on its own but nowadays it leaves several unidentified components.
In recent Win10 releases, many driver updates are optional. Unfortunately it means some drivers aren't getting installed automatically even when they're missing! I assume this is a bug in the updates mechanism, although Microsoft might call it a feature...

Anyway, you just need to go to Windows Update > Optional Updates > Driver Updates, and there they are.

You need to get out more - way more.

I'm not trying to say that those over 50 (or under 50, for that matter) are all technicians who need no need of professional assistance, ever. But I know of virtually no one that "can barely operate the radios in their cars" or use their smartphones for calling, texting, and, very often MMS-ing with photos.

There are a few, of course, but it doesn't characterize those who've spent most of their lives growing old as technology was growing up, and they were part of using it since its infancy. I don't know of any people under 60 who are not very comfortable with PCs as an end user and most can use multiple apps on smartphones - the ones that do something they want or need to do.
At work I run into a lot of people over 50 and under 50 that need help with technology. I am always wondering why I keep running into un-techie people. Then I remember I am in IT, the people who understand technology do not give me the time of day lol

@sapphirescales Some younger people I have come accross are clueless on tech. If it intrests then they will learn, if not they will not bother they just want to turn it on do their thing and turn it off. Like many other things in this world. I know nothing about cars, just changing a tyre and checking oil. I know nothing about the inner workings of the engine. So am I a stupid person because I do not understand the mechanics of an engine, no. IF someone demonstrates something to me in a precise manner I understand and can therefore do it. I think it is the way you go about your way of business and dealing with your clients.

So I find your post rather insulting to older people in general, and very obnoxious to have that universal kind of view.

I think it is the way you go about your way of business and dealing with your clients.
I'm not the cause of their illiteracy. They come to me that way.

So I find your post rather insulting to older people in general, and very obnoxious to have that universal kind of view.
I'm just calling it like I see it. It's extremely rare to find an older person who knows even the very basics of how to use their phone/computer, let alone know how to fix anything that might go wrong. I'm very glad for this because that's how I stay in business.

I'm not the cause of their illiteracy. They come to me that way.

I'm just calling it like I see it. It's extremely rare to find an older person who knows even the very basics of how to use their phone/computer, let alone know how to fix anything that might go wrong. I'm very glad for this because that's how I stay in business.
Well stop complaining about your customers difficulties in understanding basic tech. That is what you are there for, to do your job; not to critisize their knowledge. I have customers who know zip, though by the time I leave they are know how to use x device. This probably comes from my teaching background, as am very patient with people.

Well stop complaining about your customers difficulties in understanding basic tech.
I don't have a problem with my clients not knowing about tech. If everyone knew about tech then I wouldn't be in business! The problem is when they either:

a. Don't take my advice and then blame me when things go wrong

or

b. Complain about paying for my services

I don't care if a client doesn't even know where the power button is on their computer. So long as they're willing to pay me for my time and don't blame me for their mistakes or when they go against my advice, I'll take them.

I don't have a problem with my clients not knowing about tech. If everyone knew about tech then I wouldn't be in business! The problem is when they either:

a. Don't take my advice and then blame me when things go wrong

or

b. Complain about paying for my services

I don't care if a client doesn't even know where the power button is on their computer. So long as they're willing to pay me for my time and don't blame me for their mistakes or when they go against my advice, I'll take them.
Fair call, I have not experience any of those issues, my clients usually act sheepish if they did something they should not have. If they tried to blame me, well they would not be a client anymore.

Back