Simple Remote Support Tip - Don't Double Click!

alluseridsrejected

Reaction score
This may be obvious to many or maybe not quite as applicable to others with faster broadband available than we have access to in small towns like where I am, but I have learned remote support is much less frustrating since I have gotten out of the habit of double clicking icons.

I had a junior tech yesterday that thought I didn't know how to double click on icons and that he was teaching me something new when he kept saying "you just need to double click on that!" so I though maybe it would be a good idea to post here why I always right click and select open instead.

When you are performing remote support you are often supporting machines that have performance issues and you may not have as good a feel for them as you do your own personal desktop. Like for example you can not see if the hard drive light is flashing away. The icon may highlight on the machine's screen when you hover over it, but there may be delay in the highlighting being relayed to the remote session. I absolutely hate it when I double click in a remote session and nothing seems to happen, so I double click again, still nothing and double click again and then a few seconds later half a dozen browser windows are open and you have to go close all but one. I have had this happen to me on local machines as well where maybe I haven't given it time to boot up or it is infected and running doggy, but this is even worse on a remote session. To me there is sometimes more of a disconnected dead feel to the screen during remote support. This applies to every piece of remote support software I have tried! (I love ScreenConnect! Best investment I have made.)

By right clicking instead, you wait for the menu to open, so you know immediately that the system is responding to your click. Then by selecting open and seeing the menu disappear, you know the system recognized your command and now you just need to wait for the app to open. This same technique also works for selecting start menu items.

Now for those of you with 100Mb/100Mb internet connections, please don't rub it in! o_O

This is a great tip. I don't know how many times I've double-clicked and nothing happens. Then I sit there thinking "Did I double click or not?". Then I double-click again, only to get two copies of whatever open. I'm worse than my customers!

ClickHumor.jpg

This just happened to me about 2 days ago. I had 2 instances of a software install that completely hosed the machine, and wound up not installing the software completely. I couldn't uninstall using Revo, so I had to sift through the registry and the files manually removing them, then attempt the install again. 1 extra click added 35 minutes to a 20 minute job.

Definitely a good tip. I generally like to right click and Run as Administrator when running programs. Just a habit I picked up and make sure the program is in fact responding.

Back