Server 2019 Downgrade - where to obtain key?

HCHTech

Reaction score
Never done this before - we purchased OEM Server 2019 Std (P73-07788) back in January for a Dell R440 refurb customer build, whose main software vendor now tells us they require Server 2016. This product apparently does come with downgrade rights, but what exactly is the procedure for obtaining the 2016 product key?

Before I start the process, is this a vendor question (D&H in our case) or a Microsoft question?

Good luck. There is no official method. Any USED key you have access to and will activate will do. I’ve not found Microsoft or wholesalers very helpful at getting one for you.

OEM does NOT come with downgrade rights. That's volume only...

Also, tell your upstream vendor that's asking for 2016 to grow a pair. There's so little differences between the two platforms they should be supporting both. Besides, the NEXT server OS is due later this year. Why aren't they supporting the current mainline now?

To be honest I'd be more concerned if that R440 can even run 2019... some of those older Dell RAID controllers cause issues.

*Edit* Oh it does indeed look like it might have downgrade rights... but the support comes from the OEM vendor... so you'd have to call whoever you bought the OEM license from.

Yeah it's one of those things that should be easy in theory but is very difficult in reality. Dell usually try fobbing you off with "You need to have ordered a downgrade kit at time of purchase"

I'd open up cases with both D&H and Dell but don't expect any fast progress. Pointless opening a case with Microsoft they will just close it the second you mention OEM.

The server is all setup and configured now with 2019, this was a "dollar sensitive" :rolleyes: situation, trying to avoid purchasing the $35K new software version for their inventory management solution - they owners are retiring in 4 years so want to palm that purchase off to whoever they sell to. So we purchased a refurb unit from Dell with no OS. The 1TB SSDs it came with had 10 hours on them, so I'm betting it was a purchase/return unit with no real use. It still had the plastic on the shiny bits, in fact. Full warranty and about 1/2 price compared to new, so why not?

Anyway, it replaces a server 2003 (!) unit that we flat out refused to touch when we got this client 4 years ago. I guess they bantered with the vendor for over a year until they gave in and agreed to install and support the existing version on a new server. They gave us the specs required back at the beginning of the year, which included Server 2019 as ok. I don't know what the hangup is or why they now state that 2016 is the newest version the old software will work with, but that's what they are saying. The app server is a VM, so it took me all of about 30 minutes to make a 2016 VM - We'll see how it goes.

I tried yesterday to just plop in the 2019 key and see if it offered me telephone activation, but it didn't. It's all billable so I expect we'll figure it out between us, D&H and Microsoft. I've left a message for the Microsoft rep @ D&H, that's all I can do for now.

If only. Server 2016 is too new to have any retired keys from replacements lying around. I suppose I *do* have access to the keys from 2016 servers we installed and are still in use, but that's over the line for me.
Except that is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do and Microsoft has NO problem with it. Your COA sticker on the side of the machine and the paperwork you have is the validation of the correct license. Activation is NOT proof of your license only a method to prevent counterfeit copies.

They gave us the specs required back at the beginning of the year, which included Server 2019 as ok.
If they gave that to you in writing and are now balking on it I'd say they owe you paid copy of 2016. Actually, I would get your client's lawyer to say that to them. I hate little pissant software companies like this. They charge outrageous rates for support then they will not pony up and buy a copy of the latest versions of OS software to test and do development with.

Yeah, I'm with you - I half expect the vendor to fail on 2016 as well. Entering another valid 2016 key did complete the activation successfully. Yikes, what a mess.

Yeah...

Also I'll echo the above, I've been through several MS audits. They don't even bother to check the keys on devices, they don't care how the installs are activated. All they care about are license keys, and the hardware they're attached to.

But I must admit, the little voices in my head don't like using license numbers that don't belong to a client on a client. There are ways to get those numbers out of the install, and in the future if someone else is caring for the VM that's now a compromised license.

On the volume side MS just gives you a new number. But OEM? Things get very ugly... very fast sometimes. But I've also never had MS ever turn off a server grade product COA... So I might just be overly paranoid.

It’s OEM they CANNOT audit you. Only VL has mandatory audits.
This is false. The audits are always voluntary.

It's when they show up with the BSA things get legally complicated, and might have some compulsion... and if you don't have any VLs you're not in the usual hit list.

BUT... OEM server licensing isn't portable, so you can't use image based restores to a new platform like you can with a VL. Again... in theory, many of us just don't care.

This is false. The audits are always voluntary.

It's when they show up with the BSA things get legally complicated, and might have some compulsion... and if you don't have any VLs you're not in the usual hit list.

BUT... OEM server licensing isn't portable, so you can't use image based restores to a new platform like you can with a VL. Again... in theory, many of us just don't care.

A SAM audit is voluntary, however when you have a volume license it is a different audit that is part of the VL agreement.
No, Microsoft SAM and license compliance verification are not the same. The list below shows the differentiation between SAM and license compliance verification.

1. Microsoft Software Asset Management (SAM)
  • Nature of engagement - Voluntary
  • Performed by - Microsoft SAM Certified Partners with more flexibility in process
  • Objective - Help customers maximize value, minimize risks, and achieve more with their IT investment
2. Microsoft license compliance verification (audit)
  • Nature of engagement - Mandatory contractual requirement
  • Performed by - Independent, internationally recognized certified public accounting firms. However, in some jurisdictions, verifications are also conducted by authorized consultants on behalf of Microsoft.
  • Objective - Help customers achieve and maintain license compliance, and to protect Microsoft’s intellectual property rights

Back