[REQUEST] Office 2019 on Server 2016-2019 RDS

Slaters Kustum Machines

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a client that currently has a server 2008R2 Enterprise VM for 5 people using RDS. This server has Office 2010 and will be replaced soon. We will be creating a new 2016 or 2019 VM and using RDS for the same 5 users. The current server was set up before we were brought in for services.

The client is dead set against O365, so it's my understanding that we will need Office Professional Plus 2019 to use it for RDS, however I also read that Office 2019 is not compatible with Server 2019, so we'll have to use Server 2016, which I am fine with. Is this correct? Also, I'll need to find a vendor to purchase the Office licenses from.

Does this all sound correct? Thanks.

Actually, you need Server 2019 to use Office 2019. Server 2016 cannot use Office 2019. Office 2019 requires 2019's LTSC release at a minimum, which is Windows 10 1809. The very same Windows 10 version Server 2019 is built on.

So if you buy volume pro plus, you must keep it in the mainstream support envelope as well. Which means your "dead set against O365" customer will happily pay more per month to get what they want. They will have to replace office every 5 years.

And yes, if you do O365 Pro Plus you have to do a custom install on Server 2016, because Server 2016 cannot operate Office 2019.

Office 2019 mainstream support dies 10/10/2023
Office 2019 extended support dies 10/14/2025

So... does your client only want 4 years for that investment?

Oh, and you guys will love this...

Office 2016 mainstream support dies 10/13/2020
Office 2016 extended support dies 10/14/2025

Office 2019 support DIES THE SAME DAY as 2016! You will pay a sub, or you won't have office anymore. MS is clear. If they don't like paying monthly stick them on an annual subscription.

Yeah, kinda with MS would just move to O365 completely.

They can't, O365 doesn't make sense for extremely large organizations.

But yes, increasingly volume licensing is about massive usually government organizations.

And I suppose if someone wants to pay for it, why not? It's their money. And I'm rather partial to self investment instead of investing in someone else. We all should be.

If I were to do this, I'd just make sure upgrade assurance was on the license. They knew when it expired and was due again, and rollout the plan for the next server. Get it on paper now.

@SAFCasper, O365 system requirements will change Oct 2020 to require any connecting application to be in the mainstream support envelope to access cloud services. Office 2016 got an extension to the end of Office 2019's support envelope, but that's the only concession I expect from Microsoft on the topic.

To make matters worse, Microsoft has on several occasions in recent history made security updates available that patently broke things, and then the products outside of mainstream support didn't get fixed.

Which is a great way to say, if you're using an MS product that's not in mainstream support, you're being a fool. I hate it, but that's what it is. Your only other option is to deploy a solution that isn't based on Microsoft technology.

If O365 is off the table entirely, I question the need to be using MS Office at all, deploy LibreOffice. And please, for the love of all that is Holy keep it up to date... security vulnerabilities are everywhere.

@SAFCasper, O365 system requirements will change Oct 2020 to require any connecting application to be in the mainstream support envelope to access cloud services. Office 2016 got an extension to the end of Office 2019's support envelope, but that's the only concession I expect from Microsoft on the topic.

To make matters worse, Microsoft has on several occasions in recent history made security updates available that patently broke things, and then the products outside of mainstream support didn't get fixed.

Which is a great way to say, if you're using an MS product that's not in mainstream support, you're being a fool. I hate it, but that's what it is. Your only other option is to deploy a solution that isn't based on Microsoft technology.

If O365 is off the table entirely, I question the need to be using MS Office at all, deploy LibreOffice. And please, for the love of all that is Holy keep it up to date... security vulnerabilities are everywhere.

I do remember reading something about this last year now you mention it. Think I seen 2023 and didn't pay much attention because it was 5 years away.

Just another step towards Microsoft killing off perpetual licencing. They committed to releasing Office 2022 but I wouldn't be surprised if they go 365 only from then on.

Back