Server 2012 r2 help

4ycr

Reaction score
I have a client that has a server running 2012 r2 and a bunch of laptops running windows 8.1.

The problem is I don't know who will take which laptop and then take it out of the office. I need to be able to let them log into the laptop to allow them access to Excel and word. They will not have wifi or any other network access so VPN and RDC, etc are of no use.

I was going to create a local profile but would prefer to allow them to log into their domain account. They already have roaming profiles set up but they don't always log into the laptop they are taking, before taking it. can you download all the logon details to each laptop so they have it all ready or is a local profile the best option.

If people mix up the laptops between users, local profile or domain profile gives you just as much confusion.

Prefer domain profiles for the purpose of management anyways.

Question is..."How do they need to access files on the server?" Are they going out with say, a blank/empty laptop..and they create brand new Office docs...and then they get back to the office and copy them to the server?

Or do they need to "copy" lots of files from a shared folder on the server first...and then update them while out on the road, and copy them back to the server when they return to the office.

And from your post, I take it the laptops are not connected to anything while out on the 'net? Cuz don't forget the Remote portal in Server 12 Essen gives you a way to browse shared folders on the server via a Sharepoint like explorer portal.

I was told they would have some files on USB sticks but just need to log in. There will be no WIFI or any type of network they can connect to access the server.

Login information is cached. So if you take every laptop while connected to the AD and login with each user that info will be created in a local profile on each laptop. PITA but it will give each user a local login with the same creds as what they use on the server.

OTOH if it really is that generic why do you need different users? Just create a Laptop user that everyone can login with and then you only have one account in the AD to mess with.

I was told they would have some files on USB sticks but just need to log in. There will be no WIFI or any type of network they can connect to access the server.

OK...so with that new knowledge....yeah either way....have domain user accounts created on all the laptops for each and every user (can be tedious to initially setup). Or...just use a single generic domain user account for all users and get that profile setup.

How many laptops 'n users total?

I think I would go with the generic laptop user. It doesn't sound like they have any need for user customization or the users would each have an assigned laptop.

Are the laptops even connected to the office network when they return to it? If not how are they going to get on the domain to begin with?

They are connected when in the office so might try getting them to log in first then go about creating a generic login should that fail.

Back