RustDesk and nonpaid vs paid

frase

Reaction score
I have a client whom I manage his finance business, he is a financial advisor. This morning I was speaking with him and he stated his son took his laptop into a repair store out of town. His son lives about an hour away from myself, so he took it local to him. The tech in the store was going over the laptop and saw Rustdesk installed, he "advised" my client that the software was dangerous as it is free.

So according to this "tech" anything opensource is more dangerous than one overpriced such as Teamviewer. The tech also stated the same applies to Anydesk as that is free..hmmm ok mate.

I was a little annoyed at this tech giving false advice to a client of mine. The same can be stated for when I get in my car, I could go insane and run people over. It is up to the user how they use a tool. There are always going to be malevolent people who use a specific toolset to commit nefarious tasks.

What are peoples thoughts on open source vs paid RA apps?

With open source apps anyone (or at least anyone with the skillset to understand code) can examine and analyze the actual code, not to mention take it and alter it to suit themselves (which does NOT cause the stuff available to the public to change).

Proprietary code is just that, proprietary, and it is a black box to the consumer.

I leave it to anyone with the powers of logic and reason to determine which is more likely to be very carefully scrutinized by the computing community around the world and, thus, making it less likely to be subject to abuse.

And as far as this specific tech, they don't know their posterior from a hole in the ground.

Yes thankyou Brian that was my thoughts as well. It is just frustrating some so called tech who has no idea can freely spam people with disinformation. I can just bet his support is going through programs and then installing CCleaner to make it faster. I wish I knew the business they went to.

Using remote access in general is dangerous, especially for naive people. Teamviewer and Anydesk are indeed used by scammers, but not because they have a free rate, but because their brands are known and trusted by people. And this plays a bad joke with them.

In any case, there are many different remote access programs now, and you can choose the one that suits you best. Of course, if you have a serious company with a large number of remote devices - it is better to use reliable and paid software. We switched from Teamviewer to Getscreen.me and have no regrets. It's cheaper and more reliable. RustDesk has not been used.

Back