[REQUEST] Recommend a Monitor

Appletax

Reaction score
Heavily leaning towards the upcoming LG C2 42" OLED, which I suspect will be sold for around the price of the 48" - perhaps around $1,100.

Would need an awesome multi-year warranty that covers burn-in. Perhaps Costco w/ 5-year warranty (2 years Costco/LG, 3 years Allstate)?

I am currently using a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro laptop with RTX 3070 and a 500 nits display. It's not bright enough nor large enough.

Would like:
  1. Budget: $1,200 or so.
  2. Bright - probably 750 nits+.
  3. 4K or higher (love hiDPI)
  4. 120Hz+ is nice
  5. 27" to 43"
  6. Excellent quality and customer service, which leaves out Asus (sad as they make lots of state-of-the-art stuff).

The ROG Swift PG32UQX is exciting as it's HDR1400 and miniLED. But, it's Asus and it's $3,000!

Wish 8K monitors or TVs of a decent price and size were an option. Would love a 42" 8K OLED or miniLED. Sharp as a printed magazine!

Never purchased a monitor in that price range so wouldn't know to be honest. o_O

Ha, I use an ASUS VG278Q 27" Full HD Gaming Monitor @144Hz.

A friend of mine owns one of those massive curved monitors around that price range.

OMGERD!

Not a fan of spending that much, but not gonna get a nice, bright, quality display unless I spend like 1k. Sucks.

Wow @ 1080p 27". Such low DPI lol. I would cry. Once you go hiDPI, you don't go back. The sharpness of everything is so awesome. It's amazing even for just reading text.

Got 0 interest in those massive curved monitors. I like a standard flat display.

I am so boned up for OLED as long as it's warrantied real nice.

@frase

I took my Legion 5 Pro off my desk due to the issues with it (gotta RMA) and switched to a very nice, use desktop I bought as a backup.

Using a 24" 1080p monitor from 2019 that is soooo blurry compared to my 16" 1600p laptop display. Text looks poopy.

I was at a home-business clients yesterday and he had 2 x 35" curved monitors side-by-side - He must have way better eyes than me because he had them pushed back so far on the desk (really a necessity to get them both on there!) that I couldn't comfortably read the text. I ended up putting on 150% scaling while I was working and then turning it off when I was done - haha. I would think to be comfortable you'd have to have monitor arms to suspend them so you could bring them closer - I don't know. I use a 27" flat monitor for my main screen flanked by two 24"-ers. I like the real-estate, but I can't tell you how often I lose the mouse pointer. No gaming, though - just business stuff.

I am really boned up for the Asus ROG Strix 43” 4K 144Hz HDMI 2.1 display!

Edit: damn, it's VA, not IPS.

Would have to spend $170 to get the 4 years of Geek Squad protection, which covers burn-in and image retention (yay!)

Probably way better than Asurion or Squaretrade (Allstate)???

That puts the bill at $1,470. Ouch.

Edit:

The 42" LG C2 will be cheaper, I bet. And, it will have better picture quality (infinite contrast, glossy (makes colors pop) + real, hardcore HDR).

Wow, Best Buy offers 5 years of protection on this TV for $250.

Last edited:
I wish I could find a better refresh rate, for gaming, than ~75Hz in the 16:10 monitor selection which is already insanely limited but I really prefer the 16:10 ratio on my monitors for all my non-gaming and even for gaming somewhat too.

I wish I could find a better refresh rate, for gaming, than ~75Hz in the 16:10 monitor selection which is already insanely limited but I really prefer the 16:10 ratio on my monitors for all my non-gaming and even for gaming somewhat too.

I have 16:10 165Hz on my Legion 5 Pro. It's nice.

Would love 16:10 32" 4K 144Hz :)

Yeah I am looking in the sub 30" space too add for my conundrum. I think the ASUS ProArt displays may be the best I will find and 75Hz isn't bad and with FreeSync/AdaptiveSync support I will be satisfied myself just not wanting to spend the $200-$300 price tag.

Back