Quickbooks import issue

HCHTech

Reaction score
I've run across a solution/workaround to a long standing problem that I thought I would share.

I use Intuit Online Payroll for my business, and also utilize Quickbooks Desktop Premier 2019. I used to just pay for the in-software payroll module, but my accountant bought into IOP and offered it to their customers at an impossible-to-turn-down price.

Each payroll I run, I export an IIF file from IOP that I then import into Quickbooks desktop.

Ever since I upgraded from Quickbooks 2016 to Quickbooks 2019, employees who are paid by direct deposit are getting check numbers assigned to their paychecks instead of the normally-expected "DD" entry. This screws up the check numbering for any employee who is actually paid by check.

To fix this for a year now, I've been hand-editing the payroll register in Quickbooks to remove the incorrectly-assigned check numbers. This isn't that time-consuming since I only have 5 employees, but it's obnoxious. Having failed in a couple of prior attempts at getting this resolved, I decided to once again tilt at this windmill.

My first action was to confirm that the problem was NOT with IOP. If I open one of those IIF files with notepad, I can clearly see the correct "DD" entry in the check number field for all employees who are paid by direct deposit.

So I start my task by web chatting with Quickbooks support, who basically pointed the finger at Intuit Online Payroll and suggested I contact them. I knew this wasn't right because IOP's export didn't contain the check numbers, but Quickbooks did after the file was imported. I could not convince the nice lady in India of that, though, so I accepted this setback and took to googling again. To my surprise, I found a new article from a Quickbooks consultant describing my exact problem. It appears that Quickbooks 2019 contained a complete rewrite of the importing functionality, which introduced, by their count, at least 16 bugs to the process - among them my check numbering problem.

There is a workaround during the import to use the "old method" of importing, which of course is poorly named and comes with an incorrect warning that manual fixes will be necessary. Using this old-method does the import correctly, and no more false check numbers.

Here is a link to the article for those that read all the way to the end. :D

Just for completeness, when searching on that article name, I also found a thread on Intuit's community site talking about the problem. If you read to the end of that thread, you can see my learned and erudite comments and back&forth with the Intuit employee who, surprising noone, completely misunderstood the post - haha.

Back