Peachtree Accounting 2007 on Windows 10

Velvis

Reaction score
I have a client running Peachtree Accounting 2007 on XP. He wants to get a new computer and still be able to run Peachtree 2007.

He's comfortable with 2007 and doesn't want to subscribe to the new version. (Apparently it's subscription based now.)
I know Windows 7 pro had an xp mode that is no longer, is there something reliable for an XP vm?

I am assuming compatibly modes are not going to work as I haven't had much luck with those.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might run on Win 7 you can easily get a Win 7 computer from Dell

Most software works in Win 10 give it a try you have nothing to lose

Setup VirtualBox on the new computer with his current XP and software.

You can create a VHD file for VirtualBox with Sysinternals/Microsoft's "Disk2VHD"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415

Copy the .vhd file to your new computer. Create a new Windows 7 32-bit/64bit virtual machine (click New in the VirtualBox Manager window) and when you get to the virtual disk section, select the option to use an existing hard drive, browse to your .vdi/.VHD file and select it.

http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-open-run-microsoft-vhd-files-on-virtualbox-pre-installed-vhd-images

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62413#p291754

Hope this helps

Peachtree Accounting? (Sage now?) Wow - That's been around a long time. Nice software actually.

Wind10 has install with compatibility mode. There's nothing special about the accounting software (no special rivers, directX, etc.). Install Peachtree in compatibility mode and you should be good to go.

I would urge the customer to replace the accounting software now, like it or not, and I'll tell you why.

I have a customer who is an accountant. This customer has been in business for 20 years and insists that she needs every document she ever produced in the original software she produced it in. She is running versions of accounting software that just aren't compatible with anything past Windows XP. For a long time I did everything I could to accommodate her, trying to get her systems which would run both the newest stuff she has to get every year and the oldest stuff she has. I finally came to the conclusion that it's just not possible. For 10 years I have been screwing her over without realizing it. The day finally came when the new software just doesn't work on the old XP machines, which I was still building for her even after you couldn't get XP any more. I was doing downgrade installs of XP on machines with a Windows 7 Pro license.

Long story short, she just had to buy 8 new machines and a new server because her old stuff simply won't run the new software. She had to do that all at once because I tried to accommodate her and help her stay in the past. She chose to run old systems and new systems both. What's more, the old server, which is only about 5 years old, is REALLY slow because I did a downgrade install of the server OS on that too so that she could continue using old software, so it only sees a fraction of the 32GB of RAM installed.

Eventually the day will come when that software simply won't work. It is going on 10 years old now. Software companies don't want to support software older than 3 years old, generally. If you don't upgrade your customer soon the day will come when the customer has no choice and YOU get to figure out how to make a 10+ year old data file work with a brand new accounting software, possibly in another company's program. It may involve a lot of expense paying the company who makes the accounting software to do it for you. It may not be possible without getting pirated, older versions of the software to do incremental database upgrades. It may not be possible at all.

Take it from me, you are not doing your customer any favors by helping them to stay in the past. I just learned that the hard way.

+1 Stop being cheap and upgrade the damn software. At some point you will have a problem with the software and be dead in the water because no one knows what the fix is because it's 10+ years old and it will be your fault because it's always our fault.

+1 Buy a computer with Win 7 Pro on it, still easily obtained.

+1 Virtualbox

"He's comfortable with 2007"...I was once comfortable with Windows 3, and with Windows 95, and with Office 97, and with dial up networking, and...(you get the point).

At some point we have to move on because of support of software, and things becoming outdated. Add to that...it becomes prohibitively labor intensive, and exceedingly costly, to maintain old versions of software and operating systems.

You can probably get it running on Windows 7, setup via right click..run-as Admin, and having UAC disabled, and manually steering the install path to Program Files (x86), and downloading/installing the latest SR for it.
But you will probably run into problems with how it interacts with other software, such as handling PDFs or other documents with it, and invoicing engine.

XP mode or Virtual Box...may as well just bare metal install WinXP....cuz you have the same problems on the legacy OS be it virtualized or bare metal. Still have to provide antivirus for it (and that list of AV for WinXP is dwindling)...still have to deal with printers, how to handle native backups.

It's not just supporting the old app itself....it supporting all that has to do with the legacy OS too...and that's the bigger headache.

Reactions: GTP
Setup VirtualBox on the new computer with his current XP and software.

You can create a VHD file for VirtualBox with Sysinternals/Microsoft's "Disk2VHD"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415

Copy the .vhd file to your new computer. Create a new Windows 7 32-bit/64bit virtual machine (click New in the VirtualBox Manager window) and when you get to the virtual disk section, select the option to use an existing hard drive, browse to your .vdi/.VHD file and select it.

http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-open-run-microsoft-vhd-files-on-virtualbox-pre-installed-vhd-images

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62413#p291754

Hope this helps

Great idea but think this breaks OEM licensing as your moving an OEM XP licence to new hardware (even if it is virtual).

Reactions: GTP
Back