HDMI Scaling in Windows 10 (Laptop to TV) (NOT DPI Scaling)

LordX

Reaction score
Hey all - I have an older laptop and a NO NAME TV. In the windows 7 days, ATI Catalyst Control center had a slide bar for HDMI Scaling (Overscan/Underscan) to adjust the hdmi output to fit the TV Screen.

Since upgrading to windows 10, the old catalyst control center will not longer work. (It is an old ATI Radeon HD 4500 laptop).

I have set the different TV modes on TV itself, and I have one that is almost there, but not quite. Unfortunately there is no 'FIT SCREEN' option or AUTO.

How can I get this to fill the TV just using windows 10? Or is there a 3rd party software that can adjust the overscan/underscan?

Would be a shame to get rid of this laptop over an issue like this!

The last version for that did support W8, 32 or 64 bit. Did you see if that would install?

Just as a side note, I have yet to encounter an instance where a driver developed for Win8 did not work under Win10. The machine I'm typing from, an HP laptop that has Beats Audio, must use the driver that is from the Win8 period for those features to work. I keep it on hand because certain Windows 10 updates occasionally choose a newer generic Microsoft driver, and this is the only driver for which I have the issue, so I don't want automatic driver updating to be turned off.

Thank you for responding! I did try those - even the beta version - Every time I try to load Catalyst Control, I get a message saying it can not open, no controls can be adjusted with this software.

I have seen some suggestions for registry tweaks on google, but none that are working for my current situation.

Frustrating!

This is one of those things that changed. HDMI is fully automagic now, it wasn't back then. This feature was removed in favor of a standards based detection and configuration model. The drivers for Windows 10 include this change, but if the video hardware doesn't... you're rather stuck.

In other words, it's old... it's tired... get a new laptop! If it was Win7 based, that thing is old enough to drive now. It's nice when equipment lasts forever, but in this case it's just too old. You can likely replace that thing with Chromecast or something equally inexpensive that would consume less power and do a better job now. It's just not worth the time to chase anymore.

Back