Opera trying to autosave bookmarks and locking up - can't find save location

tankman1989

Reaction score
I have the most up to date version of Opera and I just started having a problem with what I can only guess is auto saving the bookmarks. I get an error message saying that there is a problem saving the .adr file, that the location is no longer there (I remapped the network drive to a new letter). The problem is that I don't know how or where to change this setting. What is the strangest is that I never set anything to save on that network location so I don't know where to make this change for the setting. Anyone have any ideas?

I also thought that Opera could have gotten this location from when I exported the bookmarks and saved them in a specific location, but when I tried to save them again, all the save or exports were to the default C:\ Mydocs section, so I don't think the "saving" featured stored a location there.

Does anyone have any intimate knowledge of Opera and lend a hand? Thanks in advance.

opera.jpg

Also, I'm now getting random lockups of my browser and when I reopen the browser all my bookmarks are gone.

BTW, clicking yes or no makes no difference when I get that pop-up screen.

Opera bookmarks.adr are stored in Windows7\Users\Your_User_Name\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera.

When Opera fails to save the bookmarks, one of the main reasons is if Opera is using a large percentage of available RAM. When I was running 2 gig of RAM and Opera was up in the 500kb+ range, this used to happen quite a lot. Now I've changed my system and run 8Gb RAM the problem no longer occurs.

Thanks for the replies. It isn't a RAM issue as I have 8G and more than 6G free. It is not the USB version either.

I'm going to uninstall it then reinstall and see what happens.

I found this while researching the problem and it will be helpful to anyone who uses Opera. It is the web configuration page/link.

opera:config#Network|AllowCrossNetworkNavigation

Last edited:
I just uninstalled the program and re-installed it. The first thing that happened when it was done installing was that same message popped up!

Any ideas for what this may be? I am stumped after re-installing.

Type "about:config" in the browser bar. I think it will be one of the directories in the User Prefs section. I'm using Linux so I can't tell you what setting, possibly the "Automatic Window Storage File" (not an .adr on my system) or "Hot List File Ver2" (contains my bookmarks file). I don't see anything for backing up bookmarks, but there is a "Save policy for bookmarks" numeric setting (mine is 3).

Back