[SOLVED] Non-MSFT Apps won't save to data drive anymore Win 10 Pro

ell

Reaction score
Hi, anybody else run into this yet? As of about Feb 13th, (I already uninstalled the win updates from then) my win 10 pro will not longer allow me to save anything to my D (data) drive unless its from a microsoft app. Its really annoying, the only way I've found to get around it is to share my d and browse to it when I want to save a pdf or jpeg. I checked all permissions, etc. ideas?

Is this the same machine that you had a Quicken problem on a few days ago?

If so then it sounds as if there's something seriously wrong with the D drive, and before jumping to any conclusions I'd be strongly tempted to back up everything from D, format it (or better, install a new, freshly-formatted data drive), and then re-test it. If you can now save stuff to your new D drive, restore your data and test again.

I'd like to think that there's a conspiracy between Microsoft and the storage manufacturers to encourage the sale of >1TB SSDs and move everyone onto a single-partition system, but I don't think it's likely.

Are these partitions on the same drive or two separate drives? I'm running multiple drives on many machines and this hasn't come up.

Are these partitions on the same drive or two separate drives? I'm running multiple drives on many machines and this hasn't come up.
two drives, on
Is this the same machine that you had a Quicken problem on a few days ago?

If so then it sounds as if there's something seriously wrong with the D drive, and before jumping to any conclusions I'd be strongly tempted to back up everything from D, format it (or better, install a new, freshly-formatted data drive), and then re-test it. If you can now save stuff to your new D drive, restore your data and test again.

I'd like to think that there's a conspiracy between Microsoft and the storage manufacturers to encourage the sale of >1TB SSDs and move everyone onto a single-partition system, but I don't think it's likely.

Yup, it is, I thought it was just quicken, but now that I've noticed the issue with other apps. Good idea about swapping the drive, I'll try it tomorrow.

Oh crap, it was Controlled folder access, in windows defender, all I had to do was switch it off, don't know how it got turned on. Here's the error I kept getting

Attachments

• error2.png
    error2.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 17
Back