[SOLVED] Quicken Read Only frustration

ell

Reaction score
I spent the past two days trying to fix my quicken after windows 10 pro updates, Q support could figure it out until I finally checked the permissions on my D data drive, sure enough all the document folders are now "read only" and of course just unchecking and applying doesn't stick, added full access to "everyone" but that didn't do it either, ran chkdsk, .no probs. anybody know how to get this off read only?

I spent the past two days trying to fix my quicken after windows 10 pro updates, Q support could figure it out until I finally checked the permissions on my D data drive, sure enough all the document folders are now "read only" and of course just unchecking and applying doesn't stick, added full access to "everyone" but that didn't do it either, ran chkdsk, .no probs. anybody know how to get this off read only?

You can try changing the Owner of all the files to Everyone too, but there's another very quick and very dirty option: convert it to FAT32. Your favourite partition management tool should be able to handle that.

(But back up your data first, naturally!)

Last edited:
You could add "Take Ownership" to the right-click context menu.
Just save this as a .reg and add it to your registry.

Or just run the .bat file in the attached .zip..

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Attachments

• TakeOwnAddPerm.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 2
You can try changing the Owner of all the files to Everyone too, but there's another very quick and very dirty option: convert it to FAT32. Your favourite partition management tool should be able to handle that.

(But back up your data first, naturally!)
You could add "Take Ownership" to the right-click context menu.
Just save this as a .reg and add it to your registry.

Or just run the .bat file in the attached .zip..

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
I tried the reg merge, I have "everyone" as owner but quicken still says it can't write to drive D

I tried the reg merge, I have "everyone" as owner but quicken still says it can't write to drive D

Copy the data to a new drive and call it a day.

We keep a Windows 7 machine in the office for the sole purpose of running Quicken, and every time I suggest upgrading it my wife gets a bit snarly. I now understand why.

You could try right-click and "take ownership" of the Quicken exe.
Or try starting the program (Quicken) as administrator.

You could try right-click and "take ownership" of the Quicken exe.
Or try starting the program (Quicken) as administrator.
quicken won't let you run as admin now, gives you a warning that it will mess things up, but the pop up was what clued me of the solution, the data folder now HAS to be in the users folder or in a shared folder. Not in another drive or directory. Nice of them to let me know.

... data folder now HAS to be in the users folder or in a shared folder. Not in another drive or directory

Interesting. I run the latest version of Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property (used to be simply Quicken Home & Business) and store the data files in the folder "D:\CandGWeb\Finances\Quicken-H&B-Files". Never had an access problem. The folder itself is not shared, but D:\ itself is shared, so maybe that's why it works.

Interesting. I run the latest version of Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property (used to be simply Quicken Home & Business) and store the data files in the folder "D:\CandGWeb\Finances\Quicken-H&B-Files". Never had an access problem. The folder itself is not shared, but D:\ itself is shared, so maybe that's why it works.
Mine is home & business 2016. I had the file in D:\documents\quicken never had any trouble till a few windows updates a couple days ago.

Back