News and Weather on the Taskbar is (almost) never correct....

Diggs

Reaction score
Is anyone getting the News and Weather on the Taskbar to update automatically? I haven't seen it update by itself yet. I have to manually click on it to update. WTF MS? Why put it there and then have it be wrong most of the time? Yes, it can be removed but some like it and don't realize it is usually wrong. It's become a pet peeve of mine......

It is placed there by the Win10 ISO install.

That's "new" then, and what I can find from searching shows it was introduced in June of this year. I don't recall ever having seen weather shown on the taskbar at the end of a fresh install, and it doesn't show in my list of icons that can be displayed, hence the reason I asked.

It's part of the News & Interests widget, so there may be some setting related to the widget or what it's accessing that determines whether it auto-updates or not.

It's part of the News & Interests widget, so there may be some setting related to the widget or what it's accessing that determines whether it auto-updates or not.
It only updates/refreshes when clicked on. I disable it on every computer I work on for that reason.
I suppose it is a moot point as it seems to have disappeared Win11.
It is called Widgets in 11 and it is still there.

It is called Widgets in 11 and it is still there.

Widgets is Widgets in Win11. Turning on Widgets just gives a little Notebook looking icon on the Taskbar. News and Weather are their own separate thing and place on the Taskbar in Win10. At first I didn't like it but again, old habits die hard and I didn't like it because it was new. Most of my customers like it and if I put aside personal bias it's not so bad if it were always current. Why have it on the Taskbar if it's not current?

@add - That's what I didn't like about Win11 widgets. It requires you to be logged into a MS account to use. Again, it's my old bais against being forced to use an online account to do something that never required it before.....

Last edited:
News and Interest was fully live May 2021 via patch to all Windows 10 systems.

Windows 11 got it, because duh... after that date.

The software uses GPS to get weather data, and if your machine doesn't have GPS is relies on IP Geolocation. IP Geolocation is HILARIOUSLY INACCURATE. It will also consider time zone.

So yes, most desktops are going to have bad weather data until you set the clock, and even then it's not great.

Works fine on a GPS enabled laptop though. Because it has the same tools my phone does.

So yes, most desktops are going to have bad weather data until you set the clock, and even then it's not great.

Much of this is cured for non-mobile, non-GPS-capable systems by setting a Default Location in Settings, Privacy, Location Pane, Set Default button. For office systems I just set this to the town/city in which they're located if it's small or to a more precise location near where they are if it's a large metro area where weather could be quite different depending on exactly where you are.

Much of this is cured for non-mobile, non-GPS-capable systems by setting a Default Location in Settings, Privacy, Location Pane, Set Default button. For office systems I just set this to the town/city in which they're located if it's small or to a more precise location near where they are if it's a large metro area where weather could be quite different depending on exactly where you are.
I always forget about that setting...

But funny thing about that thing... it won't accept my street address, despite the autofill finding it. But as long as I feed it a zip code it's good enough.

The News and Interest feature has its own config menu where you can set the location as well.

Why have it on the Taskbar if it's not current?
Because it is not "live" you have to click on it to update.
For example, it shows the sun during the day. If you wait until night time it will still have the delayed info. Then you click on it and it will "update" to current info.

I have set up a demonstration. The following is the screenshot from Now.
I will get another one later tonight and it will be the same unless I click on it.
1640816010389.png

that popup on hover thing drove me nuts.
This, especially in a remote session, where the remote machine hasn't already updated the News & interests content. Plus, the pop-up steals focus and can't be dismissed until it has caught up. Horrible arrangement. It's also by far the quickest acting pop-up hover action on the windows desktop. Top of my anti-feature list. </rant>

Fortunately, I don't feel strongly about it …

Reactions: GTP
Because it is not "live" you have to click on it to update.

...and that's my point. Everything else on the Taskbar is live. Network connection, volume, power, time, date, AV status, etc. Windows tiles are (used to be when they were there) live. Why wouldn't something as simple as this, staring you in the face 24/7, be live? Makes no sense and as I said continues to be a pet peeve of mine.

...and that's my point. Everything else on the Taskbar is live. Network connection, volume, power, time, date, AV status, etc. Windows tiles are (used to be when they were there) live. Why wouldn't something as simple as this, staring you in the face 24/7, be live? Makes no sense and as I said continues to be a pet peeve of mine.
That is why I disable it. It is next to useless.

Back