Network install printer-Dell 968w on Windows 7 over ethernet

stevieb

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my Dell 968w all in one printer hooked up on the network. I've got the printer plugged into the router in my office (router is connected to my xfinity modem via ethernet cable). Printer seems to be connected to the network as I do get a ip address. DCHP is enabled.
My desktop is Windows 7 64bit. I've enabled network sharing and have reset my comptuer/modem/router several times now and I cannot get the printer to show up in the install software or in windows add printer option.

First time using network printer and I'm not that good troubleshooting networks. By what I read in the manual, what I'm trying to do should work, but any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong will greatly help.

Are you sure they're plugged into the same router" And not one plugged into the XFinity modem/router..and another plugged into whatever your own router is?
Because by your description..with your router plugged into the XFinity modem...the XFinity modems I've seen are combo modem/routers, aka brouter, aka gateway. So you're double NAT'd. Which is not desirable.

Brilliant! Never thought of that. I went back and plugged the Ethernet directly from wall into printer. Instantly showed up during install. So I guess the other router was giving some confusion.
Would you suggest getting a switch instead or will that give me the same problem. I don't need wireless back in the office, I was just using wireless router because I already had one.
Thanks again!!!!!

Printers need a static IP address on the same network with your pc ...

In most cases, assigning a static IP outside the DHCP range is "best practice" for a network printer. In the past it was the only way to ensure you didn't have IP conflicts later on. However, many network printers today have their own host name and the driver will dynamically determine the IP address at which that name resides; allowing the network printer's IP address to change with no affect to the PC.

In most cases, assigning a static IP outside the DHCP range is "best practice" for a network printer. In the past it was the only way to ensure you didn't have IP conflicts later on. However, many network printers today have their own host name and the driver will dynamically determine the IP address at which that name resides; allowing the network printer's IP address to change with no affect to the PC.

It's been my experience that relying on the host name can still be unreliable, especially with smaller residential grade routers. The reason is...inconsistency with whatever is supposed to handle the local DNS table/name resolution for network browsing. Different routers, different firmware versions....different operating systems, workgroup/peer to peer master browser election debates, all sorts of stuff that can lead to poor name resolution on the LAN. Static/DHCP reservations are the way I prefer for this.

It's been my experience that relying on the host name can still be unreliable, especially with smaller residential grade routers. The reason is...inconsistency with whatever is supposed to handle the local DNS table/name resolution for network browsing. Different routers, different firmware versions....different operating systems, workgroup/peer to peer master browser election debates, all sorts of stuff that can lead to poor name resolution on the LAN. Static/DHCP reservations are the way I prefer for this.

All valid points. Using static IP outside of DHCP is also my preferred method, but occasionally have to go the host name method.

It's been my experience that relying on the host name can still be unreliable,

Mine as well. If I set them up with static addresses outside the DHCP range, I almost NEVER get that callback because the printer got lost after a power outage or whatever. Sometimes the printer (if it's a cheap one) won't allow this and you can fallback on the hostname install, but it never seems to work as well as advertised.

If it costs more to have me set it up than they paid for the printer, I always tell them to expect problems. :)

I create a DHCP reservation and statically assign the address in the printer (or other network device). I have never issues with that setup thus far.

Mine as well. If I set them up with static addresses outside the DHCP range, I almost NEVER get that callback because the printer got lost after a power outage or whatever. Sometimes the printer (if it's a cheap one) won't allow this and you can fallback on the hostname install, but it never seems to work as well as advertised.

If it costs more to have me set it up than they paid for the printer, I always tell them to expect problems. :)
Yup...bingo.
Although I haven't seen a printer that won't allow pulling from DHCP.

Although a DHCP reservation can be within the DHCP range...because it will not hand out that address to anyone else, DHCP is "aware" of the lease when it's a reservation, I still...just out of habit, stick printers in the .20 range. Just to have some consistancy on networks. Although I have some clients that are large and it can spill over into the .30 and .40 range. Keeps it easy to manage to...just 1x point of reference...DHCP manager. Can quickly "swap out" a printer that way too. All remotely, just from the server (or router if it's just peer to peer).

If you DON'T do DHCP reservations...that's of course when you have to use addresses outside the DHCP handout range. Else someone gets dinged with an IP conflict.

Back