Network Configuration Recommendation

JoelM

Reaction score
I need some help with a recommendation. I have a customer that just had his house rebuilt. He did not have me do the wiring. It's wired for 2 ceiling mount AP's and ethernet and coax to all rooms from a central distribution.
His children are young but thinking ahead he wants to have his home office seperated on the network in case as his children get older and start playing. His words are "I’m sure at some point the kids will click a wrong button when they are on the network." He will have a printer in his office he would like to be shared and accessible on the network. I'm planning on doing Unifi AP's but I've never done VLANS before. The house is also wired for 4 security cameras that will be purchased and installed in the future.
What recommendation for equipment/configuration should I be looking at just focusing on the internet but knowing the cameras will come? Are VLANS the way to go with his request for the kids or something else?

Tons of network brands have gateways/switches/access points that all work together ...where you can create multiple separate networks (both wired..and wireless).

Yup...create the default network, such as 192.168.10.0/24, let the devices use that as the management network, use that for the main house, smart TVs, etc.

Create another network..VLAN...say, 192.168.20.0/24, for the office. If he needs ethernet ports...that's still doable...and a wifi network (SSID) for his office...bound to that VLAN.

Create yet another SSID/VLAN for the cameras...IoT stuff..if you want to separate them yet another layer further.

Generally you don't want to go above 4x SSIDs....each additional SSID you put on an AP will hinder performance.

Most systems support AP groups...if it's a large enough house where you'll have multiple APs...you can have certain APs do certain SSIDs/Networks. Or just keep it all universal across all AP for optimal coverage.

I'm a Ubiquiti guy..all this stuff easily done in Ubiquiti Unifi systems.

@YeOldeStonecat I know you favor Unifi which is what I have the most falilarity with outside of never doing a VLAN. Based on this configuration which equipment would you recommend for a router & switch?

Any idea where I can get a quick crash course on how to setup a VLAN correctly on unifi?

I don't know the budget...or size of house. I see you said it was wired for 2x APs. I don't know if 2x APs are enough....I haven't looked at the house or done a site survey.

How many ethernet runs are there? That will help determine your size of switch.

Lower budget...
*Unifi Dream Router (the white R2D2 looking thing)
*Unifi USW-24 POE switch
*2x Unifi U6 Plus ceiling mount APs...

I'd also consider...
*U6 InWall APs....to go along some walls...
*U6 Mesh (the white toilet paper tube form factor APs)...I use those a lot for ceiling mounts (with the kit)...wall mount, or on top of bigger furniture like TV wall units/shelves/etc.

As for how to set things up, I'm happy to help you remotely...pre-configure it at your office...get it all set up.
I've seen lots of the popular YouTube Unifi guys...seen the two above...MacTel guy from Canada kinda just intros new features, the bearded guy did OK. I prefer Chris from Crosstalk, or Willie Howe (I've talked to him a few times)...
But sure...I can give you a pretty good crash course on it...I've been doing a lot of Ubiquiti stuff since 2006/2007 ish before it became mainstream.

Lower budget...
*Unifi Dream Router (the white R2D2 looking thing)
*Unifi USW-24 POE switch
*2x Unifi U6 Plus ceiling mount APs...
That is exactly what I was thinking of going with.
Yes, when I get the equipment I would greatly appreciate a crash course configuring it. It's one of those things I've meant to do for years but you always focus on what you need at the moment. :)

I personally have Unifi, and it is a great value for the money. It is vastly better than most residential equipment. I would rank it as solid SOHO stuff. Performance wise, it seems good. I have a Dream Machine SE and 3 of the U6 Enterprise Wi-Fi 6e APs at home.

Overall the app is good too. What I don't like (and it is not going to be better with other residential equipment) is the lack of quality logging, I don't like how certain functions are labeled, and it lacks some features I would love to see.

I am very much accustomed to being able to do queries on Palo Alto that are leaps and bounds better. The VPN is quite lacking... yes it has OpenVPN, but I cannot do security posturing etc. Lastly, I would like the ability to easily do PCAP captures.

Overall, the equipment is solid for the money, easy to configure, has a glorious dashboard, has a great app for remote management, has MFA, and it is about the best you will get for a typical residential home. If money was no object, I would do a Palo Alto, Cisco Switches, and either Aruba or Meraki Wi-Fi... but I don't want to pay $14,000 to build a home network.

Back