[WARNING] Network sharing credentials broke this morning.

Metanis

Reaction score
Very probably just me, but after recently updating my main daily driver to 11-23H2 my ability to connect to shared resources on my local network broke due to failed credentials.

By that I mean I had to re-enter Microsoft Account passwords on each machine and on my own machine (and reboot them all!) before I could seamlessly connect to every machine. And it wasn't enough to do it inside File Explorer, I had to do it from a cmd prompt with /persistent:yes in order to get a routine batch file to work correctly.

Again, it's probably just me since I'm constantly experimenting with stuff in my local environment, however I really hadn't done anything that should have invalidated saved credentials.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone runs into local network sharing issues.

The affected machines were another 11 machine on which I use my own credentials, and a 10 machine I use my wife's credentials. (She told me she'd divorce me or cut off my nuts if I put 11 on her machine!) All machines run Pro. All machines have sharing enabled. The batch file I wrote is one that synchronizes some files between the machines so it needs read/write permissions. I've used that batch file for years so it's nothing new.

She told me she'd divorce me or cut off my nuts if I put 11 on her machine!

Yikes! I also can't imagine why, as I don't know of a single Windows 10 user who's been "thrown" by the move to Windows 11.

The last thing I remember that I thought would warrant that response was moving someone from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. Even Windows 7 to Windows 10 was less traumatic. Win 10 to 11 has been, in my experience with all my clients (blind and sighted), a big yawn.

I guess you're safe until October 2025, though! ;-)

Windows Updates has consistently broken local network sharing again and again. It used to be that Updates returned any network settings back to defaults by not reading them before over-writing. Not sure how Win11 handles things these days.

Back