Mythbuntu .22 is a hit!

There's one other distro I've been playing around with -- Element. I believe it's still on the Ubuntu 9 platform though. Very slick overall feel.

Some interesting info here, thanks Thor999. I'm tempted to revisit... *looks at the unfinished mame cabinet, the parafin oil PC fishtank, the wifi hotspot...* Uhh, maybe next year? ;)

So, would you care to post your experiences with it then? Maybe you had a problem installing it, I know I did; I would be more than happy to help. I think there is tremendous potential for this software, especially with the new HD Homeruns coming out this Christmas, I think many would be interested in trimming the hardware rental portion of their cable bill. FWIW I have had working installs since my first post, but problems configuring all the plug-ins and add-ons, until now, the new Mythtv Control Center configures just about everything automatically, way easier!

It's not a matter of me....it's my typical customer. Think about the cable/satellite experience. It's installed, it works. If something breaks, a guy comes out with a new thingamajig, installs it, and everything works again. It all works from one remote. Simple. Easy.

Computer based MCE's haven't gotten there yet. Closest box I've seen so far is the ASUS EEEPC. But then you have to hang too much stuff off it, and it gets complex again. Too much stuff that can break, and so on.

If you don't believe me, set one up for a typical customer, let him/her play with it for a week, and then get their honest opinion.

Rick

I haven't found one that beats Beyond TV. I've been using them since 2002, and by far the best I've used. Obviously it's not Open Source, but definitely worth it.

My first experience in media center machines was with snapstream and I have to admit that the software sucked. At the time I thought it was great but compared to whats available now. :confused:

I have been using MCE 2005 for about 5 years. The system does run great but its limitations are very high. Microsoft crippled MCE so you are forced to buy xbox's for each room of the house of you want media elsewhere. I have a program on my MCE that re encodes there DVRMS file format back to MPG. That helps by allowing me to watch content from different workstations but it doubles the disk space required for recoded TV. However its not enough to make me happy with the system. Soon I am going to build a myth back end in my office and then build small light front ends in the other rooms of my house.

Many people here are right though. I built a myth box for my parents a while back and all they did was complain about it. I just gave then a notebook that I got in trade that had windows 7 ultimate on it and they use MCE all the time and love it. Myth is better, way better. However, I don't think I would load it on a customers computer. MCE would have it made if they would just allow you to have a front end back end system like myth.

Update: audio can really truly suck w/ Ubuntu, I am finding out the hard way... apparently, pulse audio is apparent in every ubuntu release, yet mythtv doesn't support it, only alsa. I went down the rabbit hole of trying to port all sound from Myth to my SPDIF, and ran into serious issues. A word to the wise, for those experimenting: log every change you make, every one! And after every few go back and recheck all your functions. Tedious as hell, yes, but will save you from a total reinstall. Also, if you have a spare sound card, it will be alot easier to configure audio than w/ an onboard sound card.
As far as the MAME goes, was really looking forward to a sweet experience but all of my roms are not being detected, anyone w/ any knowledge as far as 10.04 goes? I believe I have to recompile them all for sdlmame cuurent version, but have no idea how... Also, anyoe here w/ experience compiling sdlmess? Being able to use a Wiimote really brings this build to a new level, in that the Classic Controller can really bring those old emus to life, even 3D0 and Dreamcast; for those interested many roms can be found at the torrent hosting site http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/ actually, complete sets to be exact. Don't worry mods all roms found on that site are legal for download. I actually have a Super High Impact Football cabinet I am currently renovating for a MAME project, and would like to master SDLmess for it as well.

Thor999, i've made several of these. :)

REALLY take a look at the stuff xoxide carries, especially the htpc cases.

Just go & do.

Please post your hardware and method of install, I would like a known working configuration to experiment with. I've got a few new mobos on the way to play with, hopefully the drivers are up to date... Any ideas for TINY monitors? I would like to be able to peruse my legally obtained mp-3's w/out turning on my 65". All over the xoxide, but some of their stock is, well, obscure and doesn't really work well, so be careful.

Back