My opinions on screenconnect, please share yours.

ComputerRepairTech

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my opinions on this product and hopefully get some of yours. I'll be making comparisons to teamviewer since many of us are familiar with the product. I won't mention identical or similar features that they both have such as file transfer, sound, etc.

First off I want to commend ScreenConnects progress since the last time I tried it which was like version 1.5/1.6 they have made significant progress in the last 3 years.

Pros:

1. Probably the best non-install reconnect system i've experienced to date. When you get connected to a customer it doesn't matter if you don't issue a reboot command if that system gets restarted it will auto reconnect to you. This is a HUGE benefit to me as I grow tired of software causing an unexpected reboot and me having to call the client and walk them through reconnecting. Once you close the session the software doesnt run again (note: in certain rare situations I have seen a session continue to run on the clients machine even though it doesnt exist on the server. the client can easily right click the system tray icon and exit the session though). Maybe its my older version of teamviewer but I also have issues with teamviewer when I INITIALLY (meaning first connection) connect to a customer while they are in safemode...I can't seem to reboot into normal mode through teamviewer. Screen connect doesnt have this problem.

2. Speed its just as fast as any other solution out there.

3. Centralized recording...because having a video record of every remote session comes in handy. Your employees can't stop it from recording either. (administrators can turn it off)

4. Hyperlinks in the chat.

5. In some situations due to it being a .net/java application it can execute where teamviewer may not be able to. HOWEVER be advised that same goes the other way around since teamviewer doesnt rely on .net or java it is easily executed from winpe environments. CONFIRMED....clickonce will still launch even when windows defender is manipulated by zero access.

6. A session can run even if screenconnect is already installed on the system...take notes teamviewer this is how its done. I absolutely hate when i get customers with teamviewer already installed and I cant run my older QS. I can end process but ive noticed that many times I can't reboot since my QS doesnt count as an installed teamviewer until I uninstall the newer version which is quite a hassle.

7. Like teamviewer has a mobile client, i like screenconnects mobile client a little more though and with the central recording it makes it a superior mobile choice in my opinion.

8. The toolbox feature is handy but not that handy...but its neat to send a wav file over to auto play to get the users attention :).

9. Another thing I forgot to mention was I like the branding and customizations. I know my method seems backwards but this is how I have mine setup. The unattended version requires consent and the session based does not. So my usual customers use the unattended version but feel safe from unexpected connections. If they want to give me access to the machine they have to join a session I setup and leave it open....that way there is absolutely no way they can say I connected without permission.

Cons:

1. "By design we capture mouse movement any time a Host window is passed over." So anytime your cursor passes over the window even if the window doesn't have focus it will move the clients cursor. You may not think this is a big deal but i've only been using the product for a week now and it has caused delays 3 different times one of which was significant. What happens is sometimes the user is going to chat with you and goes to click the chat box at the same time you moving your mouse between windows and bam a button gets pushed. CONFIRMED, ITS FIXED IN 4.0

2. Large recordings are difficult to retrieve from the server.
Anything over a gigabyte i can almost never grab it...i really hate that. CONFIRMED, ITS FIXED IN 4.0. There is still a 4gb file limit but by default screen connect now saves videos in 30minute intervals which can be adjusted.

3. Screenconnect does not have an ID system so notes are lost between sessions if its not an unattended install. you can pull it up in the audit log if you have access to it but its difficult to find notes and video for a particular situation without a proper ID system in my opinion.

4. Screenconnects installer does not seem to be able to properly end existing processes. Can cause issues in some situations.

5. Per session license system while superior in 1on1 support situations is inferior to per technician licensing for most of us that do multiple clients at same time. On the other hand teamviewers upgrade and version clashing is a p.i.t.a.

6. Only last line has timestamps in chat. I really like my timestamps to be on all chat input.

7. Teamviewer is more popular and all files digitally signed even customized quicksupport/host/meeting, etc. This will get past browser security and AVs. Got to give props to teamviewer for this...not sure other solutions have this. Screenconnect clickonce sessions will get past browser warnings too though.

8. Well so much for reliable reconnect, unfortunately screenconnects service times out on startup on occasion its very frustrating and needs to be fixed asap. APPEARS MORE RELIABLE IN 4.1

9. Had a long session that didn't even show up in the audit list...not that it matters as I can't retrieve long recordings anyway. FIXED IN 4.0

Other:

1. Self hosted can be a huge con for some of depending on how reliable your power/internet. Teamviewers servers aren't perfect either though on rare occasion they have had issues. In my tests screenconnect typically used between 20-100 kilobytes per second for each connection. Around 500KBps was used when I rebooted 5 systems at the same time.

Thoughts:

1. Screenconnect 4.0 I can now safely recommend as a primary support tool. I have purchased 5 licenses for their product.

In particular if you only support 1 client at a time there is absolutely no contest as to screenconnect being my #1 recommendation.

If you alone support many clients at the same time then Teamviewer business license wins in price I recommend you spend time with both products and decide which one you like....or buy them both teamviewer is a great backup method (in particular cause a backup method you dont care about paying to update every year.

If you have have multiple employees working customers at the same time that would depend on how many sessions each technician is going to be using. Remember teamviewers pricing is basically based on simultanious technicians using it. One teamviewer license can allow 1 technician to support many clients at the sametime but if you add another technician you must have another license or an addon channel (both are pricey and cost about as much as 3 screenconnect licenses). Screenconnect is session based licensing doesnt matter how many technicians you have you are limited to being connected to the # of licenses you have. You are welcome to disconnect and reconnect to another client in a fairly quick fashion to work around the session limit though.

2. Great as a backup support tool (in particular price wise). Can be much easier in certain situations to connect to clients than other methods.

How about you guys, what are your thoughts? What problems have you encountered? etc.

Last edited:
Pros:
8. The toolbox feature is handy but not that handy...but its neat to send a wav file over to auto play to get the users attention :).
I've not seen any remote software with this feature. Drop this into your toolbox.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2892520/yoohoo.exe
IMO, though, it's not remote support if I need the customer to do things for me. I hate it if something has locked up and I have to call and ask them to reboot.

Cons:
1. "By design we capture mouse movement any time a Host window is passed over." So anytime your cursor passes over the window even if the window doesn't have focus it will move the clients cursor. You may not think this is a big deal but i've only been using the product for a week now and it has caused delays 3 different times one of which was significant. What happens is sometimes the user is going to chat with you and goes to click the chat box at the same time you moving your mouse between windows and bam a button gets pushed.
Yeah, you wouldn't hear me complaining if that got changed to focus-only.

3. Screenconnect does not have an ID system so notes are lost between sessions if its not an unattended install. You can pull it up in the audit log if you have access to it but its difficult to find notes and video for a particular situation without a proper ID system in my opinion.
Attended sessions are, by definition, temporary. If you need notes for later, don't delete the session when you disconnect. I've no idea why you'd write notes into a temporary session in the first place, though. I'd be writing them into PCRT or somewhere else.

Other:
1. Self hosted can be a huge con for some of depending on how reliable your power/internet.
Then don't host it yourself. I hosted mine on the free-usage Amazon SC2 for a year and another service for a few months before that. That said, if your own power/internet goes out, it doesn't matter where your SC is hosted as you won't be able to connect to it in the first place.

Thoughts:
1. I believe screen connect is a great choice as a primary support tool as long as they fix con #1. I do recommend you have an alternate non .net/java support tool handy just in case if you strictly do online support and dont have physical access. Perhaps a single business license of teamviewer or remoteutilities.
SC has, I believe, 6 different hooks to connect with. When you're connecting, there is the "try another method" which will go from .net to java to .exe and some others.
(which btw remoteutilities has remote command prompt and task manager...immense potential here but slow development...great backup choice though but doesnt have recording which is a big con for me).
SC is putting some form of command prompt into version 4 due out very soon.

I've not seen any remote software with this feature. Drop this into your toolbox.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2892520/yoohoo.exe
IMO, though, it's not remote support if I need the customer to do things for me. I hate it if something has locked up and I have to call and ask them to reboot.

Yeah, you wouldn't hear me complaining if that got changed to focus-only.

Attended sessions are, by definition, temporary. If you need notes for later, don't delete the session when you disconnect. I've no idea why you'd write notes into a temporary session in the first place, though. I'd be writing them into PCRT or somewhere else.

Then don't host it yourself. I hosted mine on the free-usage Amazon SC2 for a year and another service for a few months before that. That said, if your own power/internet goes out, it doesn't matter where your SC is hosted as you won't be able to connect to it in the first place.

SC has, I believe, 6 different hooks to connect with. When you're connecting, there is the "try another method" which will go from .net to java to .exe and some others.

SC is putting some form of command prompt into version 4 due out very soon.

Is that an exe that plays a sound? I made one already hehe well 2..one i use for my friends which is zeldas navi fairy saying "HEY LISTEN" the normal one is like a whistle sound.

Oh I do have a note & project system myself but surely you can see the appeal of how teamviewer 8 premium + corp licenses are doing it.

All of the methods still use .net and java.

I could do that but that would add to the cost, it was more of a concern for additional users not being able to use it. I know I wouldnt be able to use teamviewer myself with my internet/power out.

Yeah looking forward to seeing how they implement that into the system. That will be handy.

Edit: You havent run into any snags that I didnt mention?

Looking through my past posts it's easy to see my opinion on ScreenConnect.

Just some of "my" pros here:

I host it locally on a very small VM.
I also have a "cloud" ESX host that mirrors my local production ESX host.
I like it locally because the connection is super fast since there is no man-in-the-middle. The client is connecting directly to my network.
Should there be an issue on my local net (network, hardware, etc) I can be switched over to my cloud backup within minutes and be supporting using my backup network connection.

The developers LISTEN! It was in January of last year that I asked for the Command Prompt option mentioned above, and now it is being implemented.
http://forum.screenconnect.com/yaf_postst691_Remote-consoleterminalcommand-prompt.aspx
Not too shabby considering all the other more_important features they have developed and ironed out since then.

I can modify and brand the hell out of the thing without it costing me an extra penny - I wish GFI would go that route (but I understand, being SAS and all).

I can resell it if I wish. And I don't mean sell my license. I mean host it and charge other technicians to use it.

The upgrade costs are next to nothing. I paid $900 for my 3 concurrent session license. After a year of updates, It cost me about $130 or so for another year of updates/upgrades. And even if I decided not to upgrade, I still own the license for life. Plus I still get support on the forums. Not just "user" support either, but support from the developers - without having to pay.

There are 100 other things I like, and a handful of things that bug me. The Pros outweigh the Cons though. Some of the things I like the most are moot, but some of them, even though not important to others, are very important to me. Is it better than other remote support software? Yes! Is it not as good as other remote software? Yes. But it works for me, I like it, I use it, I recommend it.

Looking through my past posts it's easy to see my opinion on ScreenConnect.

Just some of "my" pros here:

I host it locally on a very small VM.
I also have a "cloud" ESX host that mirrors my local production ESX host.
I like it locally because the connection is super fast since there is no man-in-the-middle. The client is connecting directly to my network.
Should there be an issue on my local net (network, hardware, etc) I can be switched over to my cloud backup within minutes and be supporting using my backup network connection.

The developers LISTEN! It was in January of last year that I asked for the Command Prompt option mentioned above, and now it is being implemented.
http://forum.screenconnect.com/yaf_postst691_Remote-consoleterminalcommand-prompt.aspx
Not too shabby considering all the other more_important features they have developed and ironed out since then.

I can modify and brand the hell out of the thing without it costing me an extra penny - I wish GFI would go that route (but I understand, being SAS and all).

I can resell it if I wish. And I don't mean sell my license. I mean host it and charge other technicians to use it.

The upgrade costs are next to nothing. I paid $900 for my 3 concurrent session license. After a year of updates, It cost me about $130 or so for another year of updates/upgrades. And even if I decided not to upgrade, I still own the license for life. Plus I still get support on the forums. Not just "user" support either, but support from the developers - without having to pay.

There are 100 other things I like, and a handful of things that bug me. The Pros outweigh the Cons though. Some of the things I like the most are moot, but some of them, even though not important to others, are very important to me. Is it better than other remote support software? Yes! Is it not as good as other remote software? Yes. But it works for me, I like it, I use it, I recommend it.

Regarding the first part of your post screenconnect doesnt mind the ip changing on the license all of a sudden? So I could use a completely different isp and they don't flag it or anything? One misconception thats common is that these gateway remote desktop solutions don't direct connect. Believe me teamviewer will direct connect every chance it gets to save them on bandwidth you'll see it if you open a packet sniffer. Screenconnects speed is programming talent and to pull that off in .net/java to me is very very impressive.

Command prompt suggestion has probably been requested for quite sometime. I know I bombed jake with suggestions 3 years ago lol.

Yeah the branding is very sweet. If you own a teamviewer license GFI will brand you for free....not sure if that was a limited promotion of if they always offer that.

Yes their upgrade pricing is very reasonable..I will likely pick up 5 licenses I really want to get as much feedback from people as possible in particular issues they have come across. Basically I am trying to decide between upgrading to teamviewer 8-9 corporate (beta 9 will likely be out in november based on historic trends) or picking up 5 licenses of screen connect and using my older tv as a backup which I think is a smarter choice as once you get into the whole teamviewer corporate the upgrade pricing is ridiculous its like 1000 bucks a year and not upgrading creates hassles and conflicts with teamviewers already installed on clients machines. Also I find comfort in knowing that even if screenconnect gets super popular (which since its not free is not likely) they won't have problems connecting to a session as it seems screen connect has no issues with having multiple sessions to the same machine.

They said thats ok? That seems rather unexpected.

Edit: "Are there restrictions on the license use?

Our standard concurrent licensing supports the use by the software owner and the employees of that company. It does not support starting a remote support hosting service allowing other entities to use your licenses for free or profit. For the entrepreneurs out there we do have licensing plans that support various hosting and delivery models. Contact sales@screenconnect.com for more information."

Yup didn't think so hehe

Last edited:
ComputerRepairTech said:
Regarding the first part of your post screenconnect doesnt mind the ip changing on the license all of a sudden? So I could use a completely different isp and they don't flag it or anything?

I honestly don't even know if they check.
I purchased it when I had an office and static IP.
Closed the office, moved it into my home where my dynamic IP changed monthly (or earlier) it seemed. Used my DynDNS account to point my original DNS to it. Was over a year before I got a static at my home and never a quirk.
I've had to move my VM offsite for a week during a remodel and all was good.
And I've moved ScreenConnect from baremetal, to VM, to another VM, to baremetal again, and now it sits on its permanent VM.... still, never an issue.

ComputerRepairTech said:
Command prompt suggestion has probably been requested for quite sometime. I know I bombed jake with suggestions 3 years ago lol.
I did a search before making my suggestion but came up with nothing.
Nice to know I was the first though.

They said thats ok? That seems rather unexpected.

Edit: "Are there restrictions on the license use?

Our standard concurrent licensing supports the use by the software owner and the employees of that company. It does not support starting a remote support hosting service allowing other entities to use your licenses for free or profit. For the entrepreneurs out there we do have licensing plans that support various hosting and delivery models. Contact sales@screenconnect.com for more information."

Yup didn't think so hehe

My current license doesn't allow me to do it. But the option is there, I looked into once. I can't give the price mentioned though, but I will say it was MUCH less than anticipated.

Any downsides to mention that I didn't already bring up?

Edit: jesus its like mission impossible to get the larger recordings, click, pray, click, pray, click, pray.

Last edited:
Have you submitted that to the SC forums or support? Seems like that would be a really easy fix.

8. Well so much for reliable reconnect, unfortunately screenconnects service is not set to do anything on failure so if it times out once on startup thats it you can't reconnect. Of course teamviewers service will restart on first and second failure....not sure why screenconnects service wouldnt be set to do the same?

screenconnectserv.gif

Have you submitted that to the SC forums or support? Seems like that would be a really easy fix.

I was gonna reply to you there. We've never had a reported issue with the service not starting. Even if it cant connect to the session, it will stay started and keep trying. You should contact support.

As for signing, everything that's signable is signed. Only the unattended installers aren't signed because they are heavily modified when you generate them.

I was gonna reply to you there. We've never had a reported issue with the service not starting. Even if it cant connect to the session, it will stay started and keep trying. You should contact support.

As for signing, everything that's signable is signed. Only the unattended installers aren't signed because they are heavily modified when you generate them.

I reported it earlier today the service timed out so it didnt start at all. Today is just day 6 of my trial so I will keep playing with it.

Added another con as screenconnect didn't record an entire session...not that it really matters since it was a super long session that I would have never been able to get the video from anyway.

I don't really understand the focus on releasing screenconnect v4.0 when you have defective features that need to be fixed in the current version.

Edit: and by the way jake http://www.screenconnect.com/Contact says you open at 8am but recording says 9am.

Edit2: Seems there is a large audit file it just doesnt show up on the audit list...uncertain if its complete as file size seems low considering the length of the session.

Last edited:
or maybe your server is buggy?

I'm also trialing ScreenConnect; haven't really tapped into the advanced features (session recording, etc.), but as a remote support tool for repairs/virus removals, it seems to work great. Sure, they may be the occassional quirk or two, but I can overlook those things for the price. Plus, I'm sure most of the bugs should be worked out in an update soon enough.

or maybe your server is buggy?

I'm also trialing ScreenConnect; haven't really tapped into the advanced features (session recording, etc.), but as a remote support tool for repairs/virus removals, it seems to work great. Sure, they may be the occassional quirk or two, but I can overlook those things for the price. Plus, I'm sure most of the bugs should be worked out in an update soon enough.

No issues with the system, im not sure if there was any issue with the installation but to my knowledge there wasnt. Issues that i've posted have been posted by others aside from the service timeout and the missing recording.

Extended auditing has been in place for a year. I have no doubt that screenconnect will resolve the issue ...eventually. I just have to make the decision as to if I want to buy several screenconnect licenses now or stick with teamviewer and revisit screenconnect in another year or two.

I trialed screenconnect in 2.X and just bought 3.4 last week. I have to say I'm really impressed! It's amazing value for the money and it's getting very polished. Can't wait for 4.x to come out.

Back