MSE fails to install, possibly because of corrupted Windows Defender install?

dr_ram

Reaction score
I am trying to install MSE for a client and it keeps giving me

error code 0x80070643

when I download the MSE Update and try to install. These are the steps I took to try to fix it so for:

• Remove All Anti-Virus Programs
  • Complete Remove Any Installation of MSE (There was none)
  • Attempt to repair Windows Update (Ran the Microsoft Fix It Wizard - Did Not Change Anything)
  • Ran scf /scannow (Some items were damaged and unable to be repaired, I would attach the log file but it is too big)

One thing that puzzles me is that Windows Defender is installed on this machine (it's Windows Vista) but when I try to run Windows Defender the inside of the Defender window is all black.

So I tried to remove it, but I couldn't find a Windows Defender service and I can't just unistall it because it's part of the Windows System in Vista.

I'm wondering if that could be the reason the MSE install is failing.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

This is what it looks like:

zbu6t9i.jpg

I can post a image of the Windows Defender black screen as well if you'd like to see that.

Thanks!

first make sure you can browse to C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US and C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Defender\en-US without issue.

Next I would try the windows installer cleanup...thingy...whos new name escapes me....i think its Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter?

I hate to keep falling back on this, but you need to make sure you run a full diagnostic on each computer and rule out hardware failure. More than that, if you have already done this, you need to make sure you add that information to your OP so that everyone already knows what tests you have run, what troubleshooting steps you have taken and what you ruled out.

first make sure you can browse to C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US and C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Defender\en-US without issue.

No I can't. It's protected and won't let me open it. I tried to change permissions and got an access denied error.

Need more information. Is this an XP machine, Windows 7? Check the date and time on the PC. Did you run any virus scans? Malwarebytes?

No I can't. It's protected and won't let me open it. I tried to change permissions and got an access denied error.

its not protected, the machine previously had 0access on it and it probably made a symlink to the config folder.

Try this.

1. Try malware bytes anti rootkit. if that doesnt fix it try step 2.
2. Navigate to the plugins folder of malware bytes anti rootkit try fixdamage.exe if that doesnt work try step3
3. Rename windows defender folder and replace it with a good copy from another vista installation. you can delete the whole renamed windows defender folder but dont try to delete just the en-us as thats linked to the config folder.

Last edited:
Isn't there a way of fixing this issue with D7.... I've repaired defender in vista with it before a while back...

Delete any of these three registry keys that exist -

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\F7CBAE891A1B5A345B50B5E43C099D8DC

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\BB8DD09375BB24940A92D219E3E4D947

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\26D13F39948E1D546B0106B5539504D9

Back