Microsoft OneNote 2016 - How Do I Get it NOT to start with Windows?

britechguy

Reaction score
I never use OneNote, but fired it up the other day to check something for someone else thinking that when I closed it, it would be closed and stay that way. Well, no, it's now starting whenever Windows starts!

Now, under normal circumstances, that wouldn't be a problem, because I would just open the program settings and tell it not to start with Windows, but for some reason I cannot seem to find the checkbox to uncheck such that OneNote stops starting up every time I boot.

I can't even chalk up the inability to see the option to frustration, as I've checked several times now when I am not otherwise stressed, and still can't seem to find it.

If anyone happens to know how one goes about telling OneNote to go away and stay away unless one was to intentionally fire it up, please share.

If I can't do something like that in the program itself my next stop is usually msconfig which is now called System Configuration.

@Markverhyden

Thanks. It's not there, per se, but when you click the Startup tab it directs you to the Startup tab of Task Manager. There, plain as day, is an entry for Send to OneNote Tool which is enabled.

Now that I've disabled it, I'll have to check what happens when I next restart, which I can't do at this moment, but I full well expect the issue will be resolved.

Thank You again.

@Markverhyden

Thanks. It's not there, per se, but when you click the Startup tab it directs you to the Startup tab of Task Manager. There, plain as day, is an entry for Send to OneNote Tool which is enabled.

Now that I've disabled it, I'll have to check what happens when I next restart, which I can't do at this moment, but I full well expect the issue will be resolved.

Thank You again.
I don’t think that’s what you want. That is the utility that runs that lets you right click and use the send to menu.

Maybe check the startup folders? Run > shell:startup and see if there is a shortcut there.

@VISA MC

It bears both the OneNote name and icon. It's not the Windows "Send to" function in File Explorer.
Are you saying the full one note program is opening or it’s the small box down by the clock?

In 2016 you should be able to go into Options on the file menu and there is a box under Display to put the icon in the tray. Uncheck that. Also you can click on the icon in the tray and uncheck start when windows starts.

I was saying based on how you described it “Send to One Note Tool” is most likely the helper tool or service that lets you right click and send to one note or uses the print to one-note functionality and not the full blown program.

If you just type "startup apps" in the search box...it's not listed there?
There's where I go for things like...stopping Teams from launching on every login....if the end users is not a Team users.
It's the standard/native Windows location for turning off apps from auto launching.

If you just type "startup apps" in the search box...it's not listed there?

I had not gone that route, but now I have, even though what I did do earlier with disabling it in the Startup tab of Task Manager did fix the issue.

In the Startup Apps setting, it is shown as Send to OneNote Tool, just as it was in the Startup tab of Task manager, but the toggle is now OFF. I'm quite certain if I were to throw it to ON again it would be re-enabled in Task Manager.

I'm still not accustomed to using that specific part of Settings and it's unusual for Microsoft's own programs that auto-start not to have a Don't start with Windows option in the context menu that appears if the system tray icon for the program has focus. That was the part that threw me to begin with.

Back