McAfee VS Security Essentials

RegEdit

Reaction score
Which is more of a startup resource hog? McAfee or Security Essentials?

I looked at a brand new Dell (Studio 17.3" Notebook w/ Windows 7 (64-bit) and 4GB RAM) today, that occasionally has the Windows startup sound "freeze up" at start up. This thing has a lot of other things that I could disable from starting up, but I was wondering if a switch to SE might help.

On a short note, using Security Essential, I would say that it hogs the system less compared McAfee and also Norton.

I've never had an issue with MSE and I install it on every PC that comes to my bench. It's as lightweight and dependable as can be imo.

Has there been a poll recently listing all of the various anti-virus software, asking us to pick our favorite from the list? If not I'd like to see that.

A place I worked at years ago had McAfee on all their systems. It would take a few seconds to move the mouse across the screen on most of their machines. If I had to use one, I would deactivate McAfee, do my work, and reactivate it. PITA.

EDIT: Apparently, this was my 1000th post.

Last edited:
A place I worked at years ago had McAfee on all their systems. It would take a few seconds to move the mouse across the screen on most of their machines. If I had to use one, I would deactivate McAfee, do my work, and reactivate it. PITA.
McAfee has like 4 or 5 startup entries :eek: . McAfee came bundled on this customer's computer with a 3 year subscription so I might have to twist their arm to get them to agree to remove it if they still have problems with it. This computer also had all kinds of other startup crap such as Lo-Jack. They bought this thing off QVC :eek: . QVC is expensive as hell too, unlike what they'd lead you to believe.

Be aware that 'uninstalling' Mc allows install of MSE

But

It doesn't remove most of the sh_t from the PC.

If you enable hidden drivers you will see there are still some there, the registry is riddled with MC entries and self permissions and the Mc services are still about.

I've just made the switch for an XPS owner, finally p_ss_d off by Mc taking the next subscription 2 months early, and without permission.

Incidentally she had a lexmark printer in 2008. If you think removing remnents of Mc is hard, try this.

It won't just be Mc slowing things down however, Dell loads other horrors on 'free' as well.

Edit

It's also worth checking for the remnents of old malware infections Mc couldn't (completely) handle.

Last edited:
Yes I know about the 'removal tool' - I have one for most AVs

But they don't do a complete job.

CCleaner won't clean 'legitimate' registry entries or stop services or hidden drivers.

It won't only be the MC causing the slowdown, Dell loads other 'free' horrors as well.

Back