Manual Malware Removal Guide

ComputerClinic

Reaction score
There has been a lot of debate about virus removal vs. Nuke and Paving. I hope to end this argument with this thread. 99% of virus removals can be done much faster than a Nuke and Pave. Before you flame me for this statement take the time to learn my method:

1) Boot up computer and get a feel for how bad the infection is.

2) Boot the computer to a CD
-Malware defenses are completely down when outside of Windows
-You can use a custom WinPE CD or UBCD4Win
-Before CD loads completely, insert USB stick with your tools on it. This is so you can copy files onto the HDD before you reboot.
-If you make a WinPE CD, make sure that hidden files are visible. This can be done with through the registry when the CD is first loaded.
-IMO this would be the best time to delete all temp files. If anyone knows of an effective, portable temp file cleaner that will work on an offline Windows install (including Vista and 7) let me know. You could delete temp files when you boot initially I suppose. But if malware is in one of those locations, it likely won't be deleted since Windows is running.

3) Use EzPcFix
-if its XP click load hives
-if its Vista or 7 replace “Documents and Settings” with “Users” and click load hives
-if its XP delete temp files (I select everything but History). This won't work with Vista or 7
-open up registry keys and delete any suspect entries (or take the time to learn what to delete)
-take note of file locations so you can delete those later
-open registry values and correct any wrong values (or learn what to do here)
-open browser helper objects and delete anything suspect
-open downloaded program files and click “remove items”
-open services and cycle through different control sets and options. This is a good place to find some rootkits
-reset Winsock (it cant hurt right?)
-open pending file rename operations and cycle through control sets
-open text files and check the hosts file and others

4) Manually look for malware files sorting by date and company name
-TIP: Some file explorers let you create Bookmarks for these locations. I use Explorer++ on my custom WinPE CD.
-root of C:\
-C:\Documents and Settings\user name\local settings
-C:\Documents and Settings\user name\application data
-C:\Users\user name\appdata
-dont forget to check “all users” and “public” as well
-C:\Program Files
-C:\Program Data
-C:\Windows
-C:\Windows\system32
-C:\Windows\system32\drivers
-C:\Windows\fonts

5) Copy tools from your USB stick onto the HDD.
-ComboFix, MBAM, Autoruns, other scanners, and whatever you use for tune ups.
-rename these files so they are less likely to be detected by malware.
-This is so you don't risk infecting your USB stick if there is still malware on the machine.

6) Reboot computer and see how things are.
-There should be no serious problems left.
-If there are, go back to step 2 and get some more practice.
-After some practice, you should be able to reach this point in 20 minutes or less.

7) Disable and then Enable system restore.
-this will delete restore points. But some malware will recreate themselves unless this is done

8) Run CCleaner or whatever temporary file cleaner you use.
-If its a Vista machine EzPcFix won't delete temp files correctly.
-Malware hides in temp files and also these files increase AV scan time.
-BTW, does anyone know of a good temp file cleaner that works with Vista and will run off a WinPE CD?

9) If you aren't confident that the infection is gone, or if it was a serious infection, run ComboFix.

10) Use AutoRuns to check start up entries.

11) Reset Internet Explorer settings to default.

12) Run scans with Malwarebytes or whatever AV software you want to cleanup whatever you happened to miss.

13) Proceed to tune up the computer with whatever method you use for that.

14) Create a System Restore point or possibly a complete image of the HDD.

I know this method isn't perfect. But I hope its helpful for those wanting to learn manual removal and increase malware removal speeds. I don't fully understand everything in EzPcFix and also don't know every location I should be checking for malware files, but I've had good luck with the above locations. I would appreciate any tips or improvements you could suggest and I'll update this post accordingly.

Last edited:
Do you really start every malware job by opening the registry offline and looking for suspicious entries?

I'm completely the other way. I do my best to get MBAM running on it, let that take care of most of problems and then see if there is anything else I need to clean up. Most times MBAM has solved it.

I would agree that removal of the malware should be the way to go, as opposed to a reinstall, unless all hope is lost. There's certainly more sense of achievement from a pure techie perspective.

Everyone has their own malware removal routine, and I wouldn't try to tell you that one way is better than another, but I have had So much success with MalwareBytes AntiMalware that in 90% of cases it is the first thing I run.

There are of course exceptions to the rule, like nasties that stop MBAM from installing or updating, but with a few other tools from your kit you can normally get that sorted.

I really depends how manual you want to your manual malware removal process to be. As Techs, we shouldn't always be relying on a one-button fix-it-all solution, there's knowledge and experience to be gained from doing some of the manual grunt work, but I'm all for high percentage tools like MBAM to make my life easier.

Surely you're running a business so whatever is quickest for you, makes you money and keeps the customer happy. :) Personal satisfaction is a nice bonus :)

Do you really start every malware job by opening the registry offline and looking for suspicious entries?

I'm completely the other way. I do my best to get MBAM running on it, let that take care of most of problems and then see if there is anything else I need to clean up. Most times MBAM has solved it.

Yes I do. The manual removal process takes me 15-30 minutes and MBAM takes 1-4 hours. So I run scans last to clean up. If the infection is serious at all, you won't be able to open MBAM in the first place.

ComputerClinic, thanks for sharing your malware removal routine.

As everyone knows, or should know, there is more than one way to accomplish the same goal. In my opinion, as long as the routine accomplishes the desired result I don't care what comes first. One thing I will say is that nobody should solely rely on MBAM or similar software. Manual detection and removal is a requirement with the different variants of malware that avoid detection by anti-malware products.

I tend to run multiple scanners. I would rather try to scratch the inside of my eyelids with a weed whacker than use Norton or McAfee. For the past couple of months I've had tremendous success running Malwarebytes and Asquared together. I find Asquared to be very good at cookies and such but there was a couple of instances where there was a more serious infection and although Asquared could detect it, it couldn't remove the problem so I started running MWB to do the heavy lifting.
I'm very interested in learning as much as I can about malware removal so I'm going to take the manual removal tips listed here and go try them on my XP and win 7 Virtual Machines. I followed some advice here on this forum in another thread and have setup a couple of VMs at home specifically for virus removal practice.
My wife thought I was absolutely nuts when she came into my home office and found me intentionally infecting my computer with virus'. lol

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this method? Any other directories I should be checking in? How about some of the EzPcFix options I skipped? Anyone know of a thorough temp file cleaner that will work on Vista machines in a WinPE environment?

ComputerClinic, thanks for sharing your malware removal routine.

As everyone knows, or should know, there is more than one way to accomplish the same goal. In my opinion, as long as the routine accomplishes the desired result I don't care what comes first. One thing I will say is that nobody should solely rely on MBAM or similar software. Manual detection and removal is a requirement with the different variants of malware that avoid detection by anti-malware products.

Agreed! And I also see that thread is a continuation of another thread on the same subject....over and over again. Why-:)-:)-:)

Very good post op always nice to see what tweaks others do, my list follows a bit close to yours, mbam does take a super long time, I only use it if I'm not sure.

As for cleaners before I begin throw cccleaner or easycleaner, they both run smooth and fast, I have usb versions, I think easycleaner has more to pick from, but cccleaner is more user easy.

Very good post op always nice to see what tweaks others do, my list follows a bit close to yours, mbam does take a super long time, I only use it if I'm not sure.

As for cleaners before I begin throw cccleaner or easycleaner, they both run smooth and fast, I have usb versions, I think easycleaner has more to pick from, but cccleaner is more user easy.

Lol. I never thought to just run CCleaner BEFORE I boot up to a CD. Good call.

There has been a lot of debate about virus removal vs. Nuke and Paving. I hope to end this argument with this thread. 99% of virus removals can be done much faster than a Nuke and Pave.

What about the argument that a compromised system can never be trusted, even if you think you cleaned it thoroughly?

What about the argument that a compromised system can never be trusted, even if you think you cleaned it thoroughly?

Might as well not trust any system that's been on the internet in that case. Who's to say what system has been compromised or not? The worst infections are the one's that have no noticeable effect on your system, not the one's that pop up all over the place and try and scare your credit card # out of you.

Great method, i do pretty much the same thing.. but also I added a few steps. I like to download/transfer malware byes and combo fix, sometimes that system processes one over while in the boot cd, into the root C: drive and change their names as well.. I find that helps where when onsite if I boot up and something is still on there I can run one of those without having to reload the cd.

+1 on nice post.

I wish more techs would try to pull there sleeves up on an infection.

I had my dad do some undercover work today calling other techs in the aria and you would be amazed how many of them just told him to run system restore on a fake AV. I mean come on run system restore on a virus that takes 10 minutes to remove.

One of the actually told my dad that Microsoft Security Essentials was not a real anti virus and he should buy SUPERAntiSpyware instead.

@ComputerClinic
I have noticed a big change in the speed when you kill the none needed stuff, then got dirty in the machine, to be honest with you cccleaner is 1 of 2 scans I run the other is mbam or search and destroy and that's at the end. Just to score myself and see if I missed anything.

+1 on nice post.

I wish more techs would try to pull there sleeves up on an infection.

I had my dad do some undercover work today calling other techs in the aria and you would be amazed how many of them just told him to run system restore on a fake AV. I mean come on run system restore on a virus that takes 10 minutes to remove.

I don't see what is wrong with that advice. Are they supposed to train the caller in manual removal over the phone? Trying SR is quite sensible. What disappoints me is that they give free advice rather than coverting into business.

Thats a great approach. pretty much identical to mine.

I might be a bit geeky for saying this. but I love chasing malware! MANUALLY!

I get no satisfaction from just pressing Next, Update, Scan....

Obviously I use those tools too.. but way after the fun manual stuff :)

My favourite manual tool is process explorer.. it rocks :)

Anyways.. back to more important stuff.

The only thing I do differently.. is at the end of everything. Again, I Clear system restore again and turn it back on .. and create a new restore point.. because all your hard work on the tuneup and tweaks would be lost without it.. and the customer can only go back as far as the end of the process.. and not between 4 and 5 (on your list) We all know how much our customers love system restore :p

I have had 8 systems this week infected with AV Security Suite. Average time for removal using a combination of manual and quick scans was 1.5 hours. Worst one needed a repair install and still only took 3 hours. Even at three hours it is still faster than a N&P unless you aren't backing up and restoring data or reinstalling programs. As long as you take care of the active infection I don't think that a repaired system is any more or less trustworthy than a N&P.

Back