Malware cleaning tools thoughts

Happy new year everybody!

We use ADWcleaner, MBAM and CCleaner for most of the malware, unless of course the infection is of a certain kind so we use the appropriate tool. We have recently purchased the D7 Premium and Dcloud subscription looking to automate (at least) the cleaning procedure but we are still looking into that trying to learn how to use the auto mode. We install KIS on every PC can run it before it leaves our service.

FilthX

both install themselves into the machine. if it isn't portable, I do not run it. That being said I don;t think the Sophos removal tool is as good as it was years ago. The Kaspersky tool, just run the Kaspersky rescue Disk instead

Now I must say I have been needing to use ComboFix more lately. It is a tool I am very warey of & use it after I have tried everything else but I must say so far good results. Yes a change of heart here folks.

Norton Power Eraser I have also been working in to the mix lately

Our process is basically
In safe mode:
Clean Autoruns
Ccleaner
JRT
MBAM (quick scan)
HijackThis
TDSSKiller

Normal Mode:
ADWCleaner
Remove antivirus
Combofix
SFC /Scannow
Autoruns + Ccleaner again
Update windows

If we need pre-boot removal we use Kaspersky Rescue disk or Hitman Pro Kickstart. Sometimes if we only see PUPs and adware, we will skip combofix. I think maybe 2 or 3 times out of several hundred pcs I've ran it on, have I ever had trouble with combofix. Every time it was because there was some bad rootkit on the system, and the damage usually was in the form of no internet access which was easily fixed.

We only work in-store and the process usually takes a day as we work on multiple things at once. Probably not expedient enough of a process to do on-site.

Our process is basically
In safe mode:
Clean Autoruns
Ccleaner
JRT
MBAM (quick scan)
HijackThis
TDSSKiller

Normal Mode:
ADWCleaner
Remove antivirus
Combofix
SFC /Scannow
Autoruns + Ccleaner again
Update windows

If we need pre-boot removal we use Kaspersky Rescue disk or Hitman Pro Kickstart. Sometimes if we only see PUPs and adware, we will skip combofix. I think maybe 2 or 3 times out of several hundred pcs I've ran it on, have I ever had trouble with combofix. Every time it was because there was some bad rootkit on the system, and the damage usually was in the form of no internet access which was easily fixed.

We only work in-store and the process usually takes a day as we work on multiple things at once. Probably not expedient enough of a process to do on-site.

solid list, I would think about adding rkill first & also check out malwarebytes anti-rootkit.

Back