Malware caused limited Internet access

wtigger

Reaction score
After a malware removal, can only go to Google, Yahoo and Craigslist websites. Others just time out and say not available. Google searches return results, just can't go to them.

Getting DNS results, can't ping any sites but Google Yahoo and Craigslist, get no replies. Trying to navigate to the website by the IP address doesn't work either. The browser status bar (bottom) says "waiting for (whatever website I am going to) but nothing happens and the browser times out.

Can't even connect to Windows update either, get an error anyway.

Tried various Winsock and TCPIP stack resets in command line, no effect at all. Hosts file is clean. No proxy set in Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings.

System is a Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium SP-1 laptop. Other units on same network are fine, so it's not a router issue.

Have scanned with all the usual malware removal tools, Norman malware cleaner, Combofix and rootkit scanners...

Any thoughts on how to repair the damage? N&P is coming, just want to know how to fix this if possible, see malware liking to damage the network connection more often now... No available System Restore points :-(

Last edited:
I wouldnt N/P because of this. This is obviously something the malware did. Normally, I fire up rougekiller and after a scan I reset out the hosts file, DNS, ect which is easy to do. If you still dont get anywhere then try deleting the network interface and rebooting.

You didnt say what repair software you used so I mentioned rougekiller.

coffee

+1 for tweaking.com. That saved me last week from a reinstall due to failing updates that Microsoft's fixit tools didn't seem to be solving. There is a plethora of options in there. Try that before nuking it.

Will try tweaking.com :)

Both IE and Chrome do this. Will try installing Firefox to see what happens (I have full version on DVD).

Haven't tried Roguekiller yet :)

Another +1 for rogue killer. I would also follow that up with JRT as well as adwcleaner. These are really good at removing toolbars and 3rd party adware, and they run quick as well.

What's "JRT"? Junkware Removal Tool? Got that on my tools CD, gonna run that too :)

Are there any utilities that help rebuild or repair the Windows 7 networking system? Aside from simple utilities that just reset the winsock or TCPIP stack..

I gotta learn more how that works anyway (Win7 networking under the hood), this is becoming more frequent collateral damage from malware these days..

Last edited:
troubleshooting steps

Check your hosts file...then use nslookup...don't forget the basics of troubleshooting...just follow the packet.

You stated that pings fail. Use nslookup. Change the DNS to google, then try to resolve the website name and see what happens. Who responds as authoritative, etc.

This will give you an idea where the problem is, or is not, which will give you a better idea of what to do to resolve the problem.

EDIT: Oops! I'm really bad at reading tonight. Saw that you did try it...who is the DNS set to? Try manually changing your DNS to a top level and try it again. And flush the caches as well.

Last edited:
Back