[SOLVED] Problems after malware removal

First of all - Martyn, humble apologies my friend, it's rude to ask advice and then not use it when it's given. And I may yet need to create a new profile as per your advice, but I think I'm so close now that I can smell success in the air.

I uninstalled all traces of Flash as advised by altrenda, using Geek Uninstaller, then reinstalled, and now IE plays Youtube vids perfectly!! Two down, only Firefox to go!

However, Firefox is now behaving really strangely. On hitting the 'Play' button, the video begins to play normally but then Firefox throws up the dialog box saying that the Flash Plugin is needed to play this video - even though the video has started to play and continues to play normally. This happens each time and with any video, so to stop the nag box appearing that tells me I need to install Flash Plugin, I went ahead and installed it and now both Firefox and IE are broken again!!

This is now a matter of honour. It's GOT to be something to do with Flash but why would it work 'without' the Flash Plugin which it shouldn't do, but then not work 'with' the Plugin, which it should??

Well I give up!

We seem to have cured the machine of its general 'wrongness' and it seems to be working well in almost every respect now, except for playing Youtube/Vimeo/other online videos.

It wasn't Moltuae's last suggestion of multiple players in Firefox, nor did Martyn's suggestion of creating a new profile cure it, although that did solve a couple of other things. Firefox and IE still resolutely refuse to play online video, whilst Chrome continues to play them perfectly well.

So, my client will be told the state of play and if they're happy enough to use Chrome for viewing vids then fair enough, job done and they can have it back. If not, then it's a nuke and pave job because I really just do not know what else to do.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys.

Back