macOS Network Question

skdmaster

Reaction score
I know my way around macOS to do enough with setting things up but I need a little help. I have a client that we just installed a Synology NAS for file sharing in his office. Most of the office is using macs with a couple windows devices. Everything works fine accessing the Synology except the macs will forget about the shares on the Synology. I have shown them about going into the Finder then Go then Connect to Server and choosing the favorite there for the NAS and connecting to each share. I also turned on the preference in the Finder to show the connected shares on the desktop. If they take a mac home then come back into the office they have to reconnect to each share again - is this the way macs work for network drives that they have to keep reconnecting all the time. The windows computers have a mapped drive and reconnect just fine. Other things work fine like the Time Machine backup of the Synology works it is only the network drives like to fall off all the time. This is also a pain as they use a VPN when home and have to do the Finder - Go - Connect to Server as well. They are using SMB due to this being a mixed environment and the connection to the NAS is done via IP address so the VPN connection work when home.

Am I missing something or is macOS just really bad with remembering network connections and keeping them connected?

Make sure you are logged into the user in question at the location and the targets are mapped and readable. Make sure the mapped drives are visible, Finder>Finder Preferences>General button on the left, make sure all boxes are checked. Minimize all windows so you are just seeing the desktop. Then click on System Preferences (grey box with gear)>Users or Users and Groups. In the lower left of the window that opens click on the pad lock icon to unlock. You'll have to enter the computer password. Make sure the user is selected on the left. On the right click on the Login Items tab. Then drag the icons for the mapped drive into that box below Login Items. When finished click on the pad lock. Not sure if they will get an error when not in the office. But thats the same as checking the reconnect box in a M$ drive map.

Back