Mac issue

Big Jim

Reaction score
2010 iMac 27", i7, 8GB Ram 1TB SSD

computer running sluggish.
I have tried a clean install of MAC OS on an external drive and that runs great
however when I do the clean install and restore users data, accessing any files at all results in pretty much the computer freezing.

However If i access the users files on the internal drive from the OS that is on the external drive, things load ok.
Programs seem to run fine on the external drive.

I think its looking like a reinstall and manual copy of files/programs but am I missing anything ?

I'd look at activity monitor and console, both in Utilities folder. Close everything down, reboot the computer flashing the PRAM, once up leave it sitting for a couple of minutes. Then launch both apps and then do something that you know is slow. See if that get you any leads.

I'd look at activity monitor and console, both in Utilities folder. Close everything down, reboot the computer flashing the PRAM, once up leave it sitting for a couple of minutes. Then launch both apps and then do something that you know is slow. See if that get you any leads.
I'll give this a go.
I have just tried safemode to see if made any difference, it seems marginally better but still slow.
I have created a new user account, will try that on Monday see if that behaves any differently.

How many TBW on that SSD? How full is it? Other than that, I'd say it's 11 years old, don't get your hopes up.
We fitted it brand new about 12 months ago so it won't be super high. And our preferred brand is crucial. I doubt this is the issue given that it behaves the same on a new install on an external (but as mentioned in OP only with users data copied over)

Is that data copy simply a copy of /Users/username/Documents, Desktop, etc? Or is it a migration that might put other stuff in place?

Does he have a big Photos library? Maybe it's being converted or uploaded?

nothing showing in activity monitor.
customer reports that he tried to connect iphone to the computer and itunes popped up an error message regarding a permission issue, he then proceeded to "fix" a load of permissions.
I did get the old, "it didn't do this before you upgraded it" off him, however the guy is a sort of friend and is pretty chill so it was fairly easy to pacify that.

What brand is the SSD? We have found some faulty Adata ones, and kingston sometimes don’t like mac computers…

SSD is a 1TB Crucial MX500 about half full.

I have disabled anything that was checked to upload to icloud and the freezing problem has gone away, but everything still has lag when it has to load from the SSD for the first time.
At the login screen, when you click a username it takes a good 30 seconds to give you the password box to input password.
everything works, just has a delay when loading from the SSD.
I have reset the SMC/PRAM and also enabled TRIM, all startup items removed (apart from the fan control software we installed) but still no difference.

Computer behaves as I would expect, when booting from a clean install from an external (USB) SSD

Drive DX reports 1.3TB total written, 864 hours power on time with 932 power cycles (these figures strike me as odd)

Last edited:
864 hours power on time with 932 power cycles (these figures strike me as odd)
If that's really the use pattern (frequent, short periods running), then I'd definitely look at the garbage collection. The OS trim doesn't help here – the problem lies with the drive's internal housekeeping, which requires power and idle time.

If that's really the use pattern (frequent, short periods running), then I'd definitely look at the garbage collection. The OS trim doesn't help here – the problem lies with the drive's internal housekeeping, which requires power and idle time.
No I can't imagine that this drive has been powered on 3 times per day for a whole year, something seems definitely off about this.
Unless they have left the computer running and the OS has powered it down multiple times.

He told me he has hardly used it since he had it back from us last year, and left it because it wouldn't do what he wanted it to, then after considering he spent money on it brought it back to us to investigate this problem.

I understand that by leaving it on the "select boot drive" option for a few hours will enable TRIm/ garbage collection to do its thing.
I'll leave it until later on today and see if it makes any difference if not then I think I'll just erase the drive and copy the data over manually

Drive DX reports 1.3TB total written, 864 hours power on time with 932 power cycles (these figures strike me as odd)
Not familiar with the tool and it's metrics but I can't help but wonder if the drive going into standby might be considered a power cycle.

I understand that by leaving it on the "select boot drive" option for a few hours will enable TRIm/ garbage collection to do its thing.
I'll leave it until later on today and see if it makes any difference if not then I think I'll just erase the drive and copy the data over manually
Note that it has to be an ATA Secure Erase to restore ex-factory condition. Personally, I'd image the drive (did you already do that?), run the Secure Erase routine (which takes less than a minute for an SSD) and restore the image. As the original performance is back, the image restore is fast. Then switch off all power saving for that drive, in the OS. Probably done in half an hour.

I can't help but wonder if the drive going into standby might be considered a power cycle.
Exactly this, I think.

We opted to go for a clean install and manually copy the customers data back over. there are only a couple of programs that need reinstalling, its going to be a lot quicker this way and the performance is back to how it should be :)

Back