[SOLVED] Laptop Won't Power On - Replaced DC Jack 3x

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: got a different laptop.

------------
Customer brought in a Dell Inspiron 14 (7460) for power issues. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Discovered the DC jack was missing a plastic piece in the center so the wires were loose.
  1. Got a new DC jack. Too short.
  2. Got a used DC jack and it worked fine. Customer experienced intermittent issues and brought it back. Wouldn't work right for me thereafter.
  3. Got a new DC jack again that's the right length, but it won't power on. 1x it turned on for like 2 seconds and shut off.
  4. Should I try a 4th DC jack? https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=28273
I reseated the connections (e.g. ribbon cables) multiple times. Tried a universal laptop power adapter.

Maybe the mobo was fried?

Was only able to find one:

Service tag: 647K042

Attachments

• 20210308_213204266_iOS.jpg
    20210308_213204266_iOS.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I would try without the DC jack... (Direct connections to the power adapter through temporary wires.)

Sounds like a motherboard problem. Does this have a LED at the charger plug or at the jack edge that stays lit when you plug in the charger or after it powers off? What happens when you try without a battery installed?
LED stays off. Battery in or out doesn't make a difference.

Sometimes a bad battery will cause this. Try a different battery or running it off AC with no battery in it.
Done. Doesn't help.

I would try without the DC jack... (Direct connections to the power adapter through temporary wires.)
How to do?

While the power cord was plugged in, I reseated the power connector and it sparked :( ☠️

Last edited:
Check continuity on the DC port, make sure no power is connected of course, refer to the schematic that @inbargains kindly supplied :p - Also test to see if it is getting a reading of 19.5V in a Voltage Range Check with a multimeter.

Could be a bad trace on the board itself or a damaged mosfet. Check the board for any burn out on the chips. You may need a Magnifier with a light for this, I do though I am old lol.

Last edited:
This kind of probe:
View attachment 12615

Or maybe temporary solder joints on the back of the mobo. This will bypass the connector. If the problem is on the mobo.... well, good luck!
I hate smc (surface mounted components).
Haha, that's not how we do it these days. If you're trying to identify or test loose SMDs you can pick one of these up for less than $20. Put the leads in slots, clamp it shut and push test. It will identify and give you a good idea if the component is good

Attachments

• 20210310_150418.jpg
    20210310_150418.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 23
Haha, that's not how we do it these days. If you're trying to identify or test loose SMDs you can pick one of these up for less than $20. Put the leads in slots, clamp it shut and push test. It will identify and give you a good idea if the component is good
Yeap, I know component testers. I was trying to figure out a practical way to bypass the power connector... These probes look useful...
:)

Last edited:
Back