Acer Predator 15 Won't Start - Part 2

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: either the mobo or the DC jack is fried.

------------------
Acer Predator 15 laptop is completely dead.

The OEM original power adapter was dead - outputted 0.0 volts.

Tried out a universal charger and it did not work.

Removed the DC jack from the laptop and tested it with the universal adapter plugged into it - outputted19.5 volts - no issues with the DC jack.

Got a used power adapter and laptop would not turn on. Tested adapter with multimeter and it sparked and was showing like 0.80 volts.

Got a brand new power adapter for $100 and the laptop would not turn on. Outputted 0.0 volts. The LED power indicator was off, but I think it may have been on prior to plugging it into the laptop.

Is it possible that the laptop is killing the power adapter?

Last edited:
If there's a short on the motherboard, the AC adapter will clamp the output to zero volts. If you unplug the adapter and plug it into the mains again after a few seconds, it will have reset itself and put out 19.5v again, until you plug it into the shorted motherboard again. The unlit charger LED beside the DC jack indicates missing 3.3 or 5v (depending on the laptop design), usually because one of the motherboard auxiliary supplies is shorted to ground through a bad component. You need someone to troubleshoot the cause of the short on the motherboard, or replace the motherboard.

Last edited:
If there's a short on the motherboard, the AC adapter will clamp the output to zero volts. If you unplug the adapter and plug it into the mains again after a few seconds, it will have reset itself and put out 19.5v again, until you plug it into the shorted motherboard again. The unlit charger LED beside the DC jack indicates missing 3.3 or 5v (depending on the laptop design), usually because one of the motherboard auxiliary supplies is shorted to ground through a bad component. You need someone to troubleshoot the cause of the short on the motherboard, or replace the motherboard.
After letting the power adapter rest for a few hours, I plugged it back in and it is still dead.

I live in a small city. There's unlikely anyone around here that can troubleshoot and repair a motherboard.

A new motherboard is about $550. Ouch.

They are going to let me know what they want to do. I suggested that they consider instead putting the money towards a new, faster gaming laptop as this one is a few years old.

Last edited:
Curious have you tried a different power outlet, maybe a surge on your outlet - worth a look at to isolate simple but sometimes it happens.

I recommend testing the dc jack for a short before hooking up a new AC. Saves times. If you get continuity between both inputs, then a new AC won't fix it.

After letting the power adapter rest for a few hours, I plugged it back in and it is still dead.
What's still dead? If there is a short on the motherboard, any adapter will appear to be dead when it's plugged into that motherboard.

If you have another laptop with a compatible DC jack, try plugging the questionable adapter into that laptop. See if the battery status says charging, or use batteryinfoview to verify whether it is or not. If you have a multimeter, the easiest test is to measure the adapter output using the multimeter. That's not infalible, as some adapters can produce a no-load voltage but fail to deliver current under load.

Curious have you tried a different power outlet, maybe a surge on your outlet - worth a look at to isolate simple but sometimes it happens.
Tried that.

I recommend testing the dc jack for a short before hooking up a new AC. Saves times. If you get continuity between both inputs, then a new AC won't fix it.
No clue how to do that.

What's still dead? If there is a short on the motherboard, any adapter will appear to be dead when it's plugged into that motherboard.

If you have another laptop with a compatible DC jack, try plugging the questionable adapter into that laptop. See if the battery status says charging, or use batteryinfoview to verify whether it is or not. If you have a multimeter, the easiest test is to measure the adapter output using the multimeter. That's not infalible, as some adapters can produce a no-load voltage but fail to deliver current under load.
The power adapter is dead. No other DC jacks available.

A simple multimeter in continuity mode with the probes on each input pin/barrel of the jack. If it beeps you have a short. (Of course making sure the probes don't touch each other.)

Just a SWAG... have you tried booting with the battery removed? I have a very fuzzy memory of a laptop that would not boot with the battery in it, but removing the battery allowed it to boot.

Good luck!

Back