Kguard security camera network setup

Appleby

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with Kguard security cameras? Actually any of the cheaper consumer camera systems are probably pretty similar. I believe I have Kguard model #CA108-H02. It's a 4 camera system with an 8 port DVR.

I've had this thing setup and working for a few months but no matter what I CAN'T get this thing properly connected to the network and accessible via the LAN or the Web. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is what I have so far....
Ethernet comes from Netgear WGR614 router to a switch by the DVR. From switch I go to the back of the DVR and another patch cable goes to a pc.

Under Network in Kguard setup I chose DHCP and I set the
IP: 192.168.0.22
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server 1:192.168.0.1
UPNP Server: Disable
Media Port: 09000
Web Port: 08080

DDNS Setup is set to my DynDns info.

In the Netgear router, I gave the DVR the static IP of .22 and I put a port forward to .22 for 8080 and 9000

I have checked using Canyouseeme.org and it says...
Success: I can see your service on 75.108.40.186 on port (8080)
Your ISP is not blocking port 8080

No matter what I do I can't get anything but "page cannot be displayed" when I try to browse locally to the IP, to the IP and the port and when I browse to my outside ISP IP with port 8080 I get the same error and the same thing when I use my dyndns info.

I can ping the .22 IP successfully from the command prompt but that's about all I can do?

Any suggestions. I've spent HOURS on this and it's ticking me off.:(

Work in steps, before worrying about Outside (WAN) access, work on making it work within the LAN. If the PC connected to the switch can't even connect when you type in http://192.168.0.22:8080 - it's definitely not going to work outside (WAN).

See if you can telnet to the ports with these commands
telnet 192.168.0.22 8080
telnet 192.168.0.22 9000

Also you said you choose DHCP but then you set the IP address, gateway, etc?

If it's DHCP that should be all you have to choose on the camera interface, your router will send out the static DHCP you set on the router. If you had to set the IP, Gateway, Netmask on the camera device this is likely where the conflict is happening.

After reading a little bit about the camera system, the firmware is supposedly very buggy, try upgrading firmware if possible.

EDIT: I am able to telnet both ports on the external IP in your post, my bet is on the IP settings on the camera.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply! Ok I totally agree, I've got get the LAN working first.

The manual I downloaded online for the system is very long...but very sketchy. It leaves alot to be desired and it's explanation of which option to choose, DHCP, Static or PPPOE is confusing at best. From what I can tell, I am assuming it's assuming you are going to use Static or PPPOE if you are connecting the DVR directly to your modem vs using a router. When I see static I think yes...I want a static local IP but again, I don't think that's what I means so I chose DHCP.

When the system restarts or I power cycle my router, it says something about "updating" or "searching" for IP, which it then finds and lists as .22 and all the info I gave you. I'm not sure that I SET that in the DVR....I played with all the settings including Static and that is probably what I was thinking. Either way, the DVR does seem to be pulling the .22 IP since it's listed there, my router shows that the DVR has the IP according to the MAC address and I can ping it.

Just tried telnet as you described locally....failed on both ports?

EDIT: I can telnet 192.168.0.22 and it says <none> login: and I can enter a login, which is admin, hit enter and it says Password: but I can't type anything. If I hit enter is says Login Inccorect.

I'm a dummy when it comes to telnet. I'm only mildly dangerous with everything else I've mentioned.lol

Last edited:
I would always advise against using DHCP for anything important like this... Makes things just too unstable. Assign all devices static IP's. If the unit has a Web Admin page, I'd advise using it over anything else.

For WAN access, you just need to Port Forward to the DVR from the Router. Hopefully the manual will tell you what ports to forward, they all seem to use different ports for the connection (I've seen a few other installations as well).

I've seen some DVR's like this that are able to use a nice little iPhone app for remote access, it's called APlayer... I used it once when I helped my cousin (also a computer tech) complete a setup at a commercial site of a DVR and hardwired camera. Got it working fine, and was able to see his camera on my iPhone :D Was nice to work on.

I have the opposite opinion, I strongly suggest using DHCP since you set the address up as a "static" lease on the router.

In my SMB networks I always leave network printers etc set to DHCP and assign static leases on the DHCP server etc. That way should anything change server-side your devices will still connect (just maybe not have the right IP). If you assign a static you lose flexibility and run the risk of that IP being assigned to another device (if it's in the same scope. My main goal for networks (with servers) is to try to centralize as much as possible to the server vs individual network clients.

You could argue that if you replace the router you'll have to reset all of the leases etc. on the router again but it's a compromise.

Not sure what's going on with the KGuard -- When you telnet in you said it doesn't let you type anything for password, it actually IS typing you just don't see characters showing up for each letter, so type proper password and press enter, should let you in. That's kinda a *nix thing. You might have a bad KGuard if you can't get the web interface to come up, reflashing firmware would be first step, it probably can be done using a flash drive. I have worked with a few of these low-mid-grade systems before and the software is usually terrible

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm going to have to talk to Kguard I guess....I'm sure that will be a pain.:mad:

I played with the telnet more and it just won't accept the password (I know what you mean about not "seeing" the password) but it just says that it is invalid every time. I went into the system and changed the password, confirmed the user name and it still won't work. I'm thinking that flashing the firmware would be good, but I see NOTHING in the support about it. I'll have to call or email them and pray for the best. I've spent hours on this thing and I know I'm not this stupid. I've done essentially the same thing multiple times before to view web cams remotely and it's always worked and never been this difficult.

Thanks for the help, I'll let ya know what happens....

Hi,
I know it's a long time since you posted on here anyone, but did you resolve the issue?

If so - how please?

Just bought a system, but having problems with the more basic problem of getting my PC to see the kguard system.

Haven't got as far as port forwarding, still trying to get my head round static ip addresses (My isp - Virgin media - don't issue static ip adresses)

Some very basic instructions would be appreciated as Kguard don't seem to respond to emails.

Thanks - Dave :confused:

Never got it resolved and their support is horrible. I have actually gone backwards and can't even login via my pc on my LAN anymore. I've spent HOURS and HOURS working on this. I really have a feeling there is a tiny setting or two keeping me from getting it working, but I've yet to find it.:(:(

Curious, are you trying to use the interface via Internet explorer?

Had a client with a pro system that had a very similar issue, and discovered that ie8 would allow everything to work fine, but ie9 no matter what we did or the security company would not work.

Actually yes I am using IE 9, which I hate with a passion. I don't use it, other than to help customers work through their problems. I'm a long time Firefox user but it doesn't seem to work at all with Kguard's software and they do state that IE is required.

I might see if I can test IE 8 and get any further.....

I am using IE9, and have managed to be able to view my Cameras - live - but I am not able to view my recorded clips, or save my recorded clips as I get a message re "Insufficient disc space"

(cant post an image)

Any ideas as to why the clips won't play please?

Thanks

Dave

I would give IE8 a try and see if everything works with it.

I have not had the time to tear apart why 9 would not work with the system that I was working on, and the original installer had numerous resources working on it but does not have an answer either.

Back