Is add shortcut to OneDrive superior to Sync now in Teams/SP?

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
I have some clients that have massive doc libraries and it can take up to an hour to sync. Should I stop this practice and just start using Add Shortcut to OneDrive instead?

Should that help with some of the syncing issues?

@YeOldeStonecat

.....that's not my method.
How are they taking an hour to sync? Are you syncing all files locally? I set the InTune policy to manage that as to use Files on Demand. End users can cherry pick certain folder(s) they want to keep locally.

How many objects in each doc library?

I don't have clients sync all doc libraries to file explorer either, just the heavy use ones. For the rare ones...go in through Teams.

.....that's not my method.
How are they taking an hour to sync? Are you syncing all files locally? I set the InTune policy to manage that as to use Files on Demand. End users can cherry pick certain folder(s) they want to keep locally.

How many objects in each doc library?

I don't have clients sync all doc libraries to file explorer either, just the heavy use ones. For the rare ones...go in through Teams.

I have instructed a client that they have too many items in their document library and they need to provide me with a list to shorten it 8 months ago so that I can move things into different libraries, and despite constant reminders they have not done it. Their primary library I believe has something like 700,000 items

For some reason I read somewhere that the shortcut to OneDrive is the way Microsoft envisions linking to the teams channel library in the future.

I don't have clients sync all doc libraries to file explorer either, just the heavy use ones.

Not only that, they need to make review of what's "heavy use" on a routine basis. That cycle need not be overly frequent, but most businesses have "certain stuff" that's hot now that won't be in six months, while other stuff that's gathering dust at the moment becomes white hot.

The idea of true set it and forget it, has always been a myth. We've made massive strides in reducing the need for constant care and feeding, but permanent neglect is not a viable option.

Never do shortcuts... ever...

I won't even present the option, it causes far more issues than it solves.

Back