One Drive personal - Shared folder - no option to "Add to my OneDrive"

Blue House Computer Help

Reaction score
I'm working with a small business where only two people need to have about six gigabytes of shared documents synced between them. They are currently file sharing off a legacy windows server that they needed for Quickbooks, but have switched to a web based solution, and are thinking of giving up the expensive office altogether eventually and running from their homes, so they want to switch to something web based for file sync.

Before me, they have already been using a subscription to Microsoft 365 personal, so we thought we would use OneDrive personal/home with a shared folder. Then, they could each sync copies of the folder onto their desktop and access them from file explorer.

Simple, right? No.

The sharing works fine on OneDrive for the web, and the person who the files are being shared with can go into "Shared" on the left and see the folder. They have edit permissions. But when they right click on the folder there is no option to "Add to my OneDrive" which would then enable them to sync the folder locally. If we add a shortcut to My Files (the other option that looks like it might do something), it just creates a URL shortcut, so when it syncs and they click on it in file explorer, it just opens up OneDrive on the web.

What gives? Every single tutorial and several AI chat bots say that they should have the "Add to my OneDrive" option on the shared folder.

I thought about switching to another file syncing solution, but there isn't a great deal of budget, and something like Google Drive seems to have other issues that I've seen on other threads here:

So close and yet so far.

OK, here's what I do.

1. Create the folder on OneDrive.
2. Create a Share Link for the specific other individuals you wish to share with (not a "Share with anyone" type) . Email that to them.
3. For each person shared with, have them activate the share link, which will open that folder in OneDrive Web.
4. At the top of the screen, is a button "Add Shortcut to My files." Activate it.

The folder now not only shows in My files in OneDrive Web, but in that individual user's OneDrive under File Explorer.

Last edited:
If we add a shortcut to My Files (the other option that looks like it might do something), it just creates a URL shortcut, so when it syncs and they click on it in file explorer, it just opens up OneDrive on the web.

By the way, that is NOT how it works when I'm doing it. After that "Add to My files" button has been activated in OneDrive Web, and the folder appears in OneDrive Personal (in this case) on the other person's OneDrive, it behaves exactly like any other folder in File Explorer and opens within File Explorer itself.

The status column on the "sharees" OneDrive shows the cloud icon with a shared "single person" icon next to the cloud.

You know what? You are right. In fact now that you mention it, I remember it did that the first time we shared it. But then we ran into a sync problem and had to redo it and then it would only make the url shortcut.

But, to test this out I did it from one of my own personal accounts to another, and that's only making a url shortcut as well.

Any idea how to get it to stop making URL shortcuts and do it properly?

Any idea how to get it to stop making URL shortcuts and do it properly?

First, I'd try having the source machine for setting up the sharing be one other than the one you've been using, and then see what happens if you follow that process where there are two places it's shared to the same account (one of which should be your machine). This will rule out your machine as the source of the problem, at the very least, and possibly confirm it is the source of the problem if you only get URLs there but on the other machine you don't. But you want your machine out of the picture as the source.

In the end, and if it's not time constrained, I'd consider uninstalling and reinstalling OneDrive on your machine anyway. I have had 2 occasions (not for this issue, but) where the ultimate solution could only be achieved by a "nuke and pave" for OneDrive itself.

You need to figure out where the source of the irregularity lies, and then uninstall/reinstall OneDrive there.

Also make sure you can get this to work "as it should" from somewhere.

It's a grand PITA when you can't get something to work as it should while other assistants cannot get it NOT to work as it should and be able to replicate your issue!

Similar to comparing networking features between Windows "Home" and Windows "Pro"....you'll find 365 Personal and 365 Business to have big differences...and the "home/personal" flavors...severely limited. And time consuming (for someone)....to chase down quirks. Business versions have greatly increased "collaboration features". I'm almost certain the personal version of OD is limited to web URL links only.

See what you can do with this link, "view only", to a folder named Technibble_Test on my OneDrive. I've put a single image in it.

TechNibble_Test

It's just a standard web link for me...opens up in a browser. I don't see the function to "add it to my one drive folders"....like would automatically happen with OD4B. Which makes sense, because you did a wide open public share, right? Not specified to be shared to my biz email address (which I don't think is possible from ODp to OD4B) Not that I'd use OD4B for the central file server, but if you wanted to take the "peer to peer workgroup approach"...within a biz tenant, sharing a folder to someone else in the business (in the same tenant) would automatically add it to their OD4B folders.

It's just a standard web link for me...opens up in a browser.

Probably because you are "an alien" as far as OneDrive is concerned, not a part of my Family Group, which is how I sent to someone else in my Family Group with a completely separate account.

I thought the initial premise was creating a sharing folder that multiple people in the same organization could use, and that could be listed under their own individual OneDrive folder lists. I can't imagine this is not possible if it can be done in M365 Family which, as you noted, as far fewer options and a lower level of overall sophistication.

Before me, they have already been using a subscription to Microsoft 365 personal, so we thought we would use OneDrive personal/home with a shared folder. Then, they could each sync copies of the folder onto their desktop and access them from file explorer.

I went back to the original post, and just noticed that *personal* is mentioned as being in use. Wouldn't that mean that these two individuals would have to be logged in to M365 using precisely the same M365 account (which is, of course, a Microsoft Account) to access anything?

They should have identical folder structures in that case and not really be sharing anything, in the sense of sharing I've been using up to this time. They're actually (and not legally) using one M365 account for 2 people.

Back