Insurance claim letter

cramped

Reaction score
Hi, I have just had a customer come to me with a laptop that the son had spilled water all over. Well to me it looked like it had been in the bath but anyway. What they are wanting is a letter from me to their insurance company stating that the laptop is beyond repair. Now my letter writing skills are very very limited and to tell you the truth I dont really know where to start. I have been in business for around 6 months now and this is the first but I know their will be more eventually. What I was hoping was somebody may be able to share a template letter that myself and other technibble users can use. Any help would be most appreiciated.

make sure it is beyond repair, there have been some posts in the past about people techs have suspected clients of insurance fraud, so if you are the one signing off on it, make sure it is so.
but other than that it doesnt need to be wordy, all they are going to do is look at it, look at your company letterhead and say, hmm seems like a qualified source.
unless of course the client has asked anything specific.

As a side note to the above. I have provided information such as this to clients for them to submit to their insurance companies. On several occasions I even received a phone call from the claims adjuster. Don't worry if this happens... they are just checking to see if you are legit.

It is usually best to have all the information backed up by a work order and stick to impartial wording such as. Example "The damage to the computer is consistant with a power surge or lightning damage." In your case.. "The damage to the computer is consistant with moisture or liquid damage."

Other nice phrases.... It is estimated that the repair cost with parts and labor would exceed the replacement cost of the computer. (You may want to have some actual figures even if you would not do the work.)

Don't be afraid of these types of quotes.... I have gotten many referrals from clients that I have done referrals for.... even better some of the local insuance agents even send people to me to get an estimate.

No matter what though be impartial.... simply state the facts and give your report to the customer so they can submit the report to the insurance company. This way if they are not happy with your findings they are free to go somewhere else for an estimate. This is better than what would happen if you submitted the report and the claim got denied. If this were to happen they would blame you for the claim being denied (even if you are 100% correct)

Here is a sample text from a letter I typed up recently for a customer who had was making an insurance claim on a laptop with an accidental LCD break. I have done several of these claims and I've only received a phone call once or twice but the insurance company has always been very nice and as someone else said, they usually just want to make sure you are legit.

My advice is to state the facts, do not say what caused the damage unless you know for a fact. A customer might be lying and like mentioned, attempting some sort of fraud. Basically all I'm doing is providing the info on what is wrong and what it will cost to repair. I'm never state ANYTHING that I'm not willing to backup with facts if I'm asked. I just print this on letterhead and save a copy for my records. I also include the model and serial # for my protection in case the customer was trying some sort of switch-er-oo with insurance company.

Also, I do not inflate the cost of repairs. Whatever my normal fee is, that is what I charge. Since I have to diagnose the problem, type and print the letter, I charge 1/2 hour for doing it. Very often the insurance company will just replace the computer, rather than paying for the repairs, so I don't always get the repair business. That is why I charge a fee for writing the letter. My time is valuable.

February 25, 2010

I was asked by XXXXX XXXXXXX to give a written estimate for the cost of repairing a damaged screen on a Compaq laptop computer. The computer I inspected was a Compaq Presario Model # XXXX-XXXX serial number XXXXXXX. The computer appears to power on correctly while plugged into a charger and the LCD screen powers up correctly also, however the screen has been cracked in multiple places and in my opinion, is damaged beyond repair. A full replacement LCD panel is needed to restore the computer to full working order. My estimate of cost for a full LCD replacement, including parts and labor is $XXX plus sales tax.

While researching the replacement cost of this specific laptop computer, I found that this is a discontinued model, however; I did find it listed in stock on www.XXXXXXX.com. The listed price for this model laptop at XX XXXXX XXXXX is $585.43. Newer models of laptops that would be similar to this model will normally retail in the range of $449-$499.

If there are any questions or clarifications needed, please do not hesitate to call me.

thanks guys for the great responses it gives me something to go from now. My main problem was not knowing where to start from. I am still interested in other peoples ideas as well.

Hi there, this is a copy of a insurance letter which I have used in the past.

Insurance companies have rang me previously to ensure that I am legit, and have actually diagnosed the laptop in question, and have asked what I put in the letter. So what ever you do, keep a copy of any insurance reports you do.. but the insurance companies have been really nice, its not like they are attempting to catch you out with a lie..

Re Make xxxxxx Model Number xxx Serial Number xxxxxxx

Following your request to diagnose the laptop, we have found the following results. We have diagnosed, that there has been water damage to the main motherboard. Upon further inspection there also appears to be substantial water damage to the monitor. From appearance, this looks like sustained droplets have hit the keyboard, soaked through to the motherboard, and also backsplashed against the screen.

We would highly recommend that the laptop is not powered on, under any circumstances.

Costings to repair the laptop are as follows.
Parts
Motherboard £xxx
Screen replacement £xxx

Labour
To dismantle the laptop in order to replace the motherboard, and screen, installation of new board, and screen. Clean all parts inside, re-assemble laptop complete, and testing complete.
Complete reinstallation of the Windows Vista Operating System
3 Hours @ £xxx pr hour
Total Labour charge £xxx
Total cost £xxx
It is of our opinion that the laptop is beyond repair.

hope this helps
be safe
nige
cadishead computers

edit: Also as Appleby has stated, I do not inflate costs of parts, I charge a set fee of £25 for writing insurance letters

Last edited:
Wow this is really great. I never thought of offering this type of service but does make a lot of sense. Great Idea.

Good thread guys! I am going to file this away for future use. I know that this will come in handy.

thanks
Hi there, this is a copy of a insurance letter which I have used in the past.

Insurance companies have rang me previously to ensure that I am legit, and have actually diagnosed the laptop in question, and have asked what I put in the letter. So what ever you do, keep a copy of any insurance reports you do.. but the insurance companies have been really nice, its not like they are attempting to catch you out with a lie..

Re Make xxxxxx Model Number xxx Serial Number xxxxxxx

Following your request to diagnose the laptop, we have found the following results. We have diagnosed, that there has been water damage to the main motherboard. Upon further inspection there also appears to be substantial water damage to the monitor. From appearance, this looks like sustained droplets have hit the keyboard, soaked through to the motherboard, and also backsplashed against the screen.

We would highly recommend that the laptop is not powered on, under any circumstances.

Costings to repair the laptop are as follows.
Parts
Motherboard £xxx
Screen replacement £xxx

Labour
To dismantle the laptop in order to replace the motherboard, and screen, installation of new board, and screen. Clean all parts inside, re-assemble laptop complete, and testing complete.
Complete reinstallation of the Windows Vista Operating System
3 Hours @ £xxx pr hour
Total Labour charge £xxx
Total cost £xxx
It is of our opinion that the laptop is beyond repair.

hope this helps
be safe
nige
cadishead computers

edit: Also as Appleby has stated, I do not inflate costs of parts, I charge a set fee of £25 for writing insurance letters

thanks for this. Its seems I was looking to far into it. I had search technibble on the insurance claim letters before making this thread but I didnt really find to much useful information. I think I may have it now by keeping it simple. Im going to have my layout like this:

Business letterhead
#
Make
Model
Serial number
#
Fault
#
Diagnosis
#
Price of replacement parts
Price of labour
#
Conclusion- Reason I believe it is beyond repair
#

One thing I would ask is? What would you title this letter as?

thanks

thanks for this. Its seems I was looking to far into it. I had search technibble on the insurance claim letters before making this thread but I didnt really find to much useful information. I think I may have it now by keeping it simple. Im going to have my layout like this:

Business letterhead
#
Make
Model
Serial number
#
Fault
#
Diagnosis
#
Price of replacement parts
Price of labour
#
#

I would put there name and claim number at the top.

#
#

Please don't forget, that not all insurance jobs, the cost of the repairs mean that the item in question is beyond repair.

Reason I say this, is I had a sony vaio laptop in a few months ago. The screen needed replacing, as it was smashed to pieces.

Quoted the job out at £160, and was given the go ahead from the insurance company to carry out the replacement.

It saved them over £500, compared to a write off..

I just had one call me about this today . what do you guys charge for this service? I quoted my diagnostic bench fee (50) which she seemed a bit put off by. I explained in the past I have had the insurance companies follow up on it with me , plus the time spent evaluating the machines fair market value . I think my price is more than fair

I just had one call me about this today . what do you guys charge for this service? I quoted my diagnostic bench fee (50) which she seemed a bit put off by. I explained in the past I have had the insurance companies follow up on it with me , plus the time spent evaluating the machines fair market value . I think my price is more than fair

I charge a rate of £39.00. This includes a full report, pictures of everything.

Clients CAN claim our report fee, as part of their insurance claim.

@RAJ , you are correct re the insurance follow ups. I have had a few in the past contact me, to check the report out. Also to ensure that I am legit, and not the claimant, who has done their own report, for fraud purposes.

It never fails to amaze the number of people that think our services should be either free or nominal at best. It can be a bit wearying after so many years in the biz

I "HATE" doing those. Waste of time...always a "favor" from a friend.

I always put down that I never trust a computer after it has been hit by a power surge. I don't care if the only symptom is a blown power supply or blown NIC...and replacing that gets it to work...I never trust the rest of the system for stability again, nor length of life...it's life has been greatly reduced.

Back