Installed Windows 11 on my daily driver, which is "incompatible" hardware

The update to 22h2 had to be hacked/patched in order to get the update.

In what way, exactly, if you know?

If the requirement is only that it be done using the ISO file or install media, rather than the "Download and install" button, I'm just fine with that. If it requires the "Rufus-ication" (or similar) of the install media, that would be worth knowing.

In what way, exactly, if you know?

If the requirement is only that it be done using the ISO file or install media, rather than the "Download and install" button, I'm just fine with that. If it requires the "Rufus-ication" (or similar) of the install media, that would be worth knowing.
I had posted the info about this in another post. It was a registry fix that made it possible.

I had posted the info about this in another post. It was a registry fix that made it possible.
It’s the same changes that Rufus makes to the image. One way changes the registry, rufus adds registry changes to the installation files by adding an answer file to the install.

@Porthos: That earlier post had somehow slipped my mind. And given the title in post #44, I thought this had to do with getting Windows 11 itself to install on systems lacking one of the "essential" hardware features it looks for.

I was not sure whether something different/additional might be needed with regard to the Feature Updates.

@nlinecomputers: Well, there is some subtle difference between how Rufus handles this, when it's the only thing, and the registry hack, even when used with a Rufus-icated installer. The first "incompatible" machine I did a Windows 11 upgrade (not clean install) on did not present me with any warning at all (see post #16) while the machine on which I had done the registry hack, but used the same install media, did present the Microsoft warning.

The early declarations about the distinct possibility of "no updates on incompatible hardware"
It turns out that means no feature updates. I haven't heard of anyone on unsupported hardware getting the upgrade from 21H2 to 22H2 via the usual Windows Update method. So going by that experience, you won't likely be offered the 23H2 upgrade via Windows Update. This is why Windows 11 on unsupported hardware isn't suitable for ordinary end users.

However IT professionals and enthusiasts can simply install the feature update using a Rufus-built USB each time.
In my particular cases, it's having processors that are not supported, but all the other requirements are met.
Even the TPM requirement? Maybe the premium HP Envy range had TPM back when with 4th gen CPUs, but it's unlikely to be TPM 2.0. Correct me if I'm wrong.

@Porthos: That earlier post had somehow slipped my mind. And given the title in post #44, I thought this had to do with getting Windows 11 itself to install on systems lacking one of the "essential" hardware features it looks for.

I was not sure whether something different/additional might be needed with regard to the Feature Updates.

@nlinecomputers: Well, there is some subtle difference between how Rufus handles this, when it's the only thing, and the registry hack, even when used with a Rufus-icated installer. The first "incompatible" machine I did a Windows 11 upgrade (not clean install) on did not present me with any warning at all (see post #16) while the machine on which I had done the registry hack, but used the same install media, did present the Microsoft warning.
The refus install was a clean install was it not? If so, there’s no place to do such an warning during the installation. An in place upgrade is running under windows.

@nlinecomputers: All of the installs used the Rufus install media. One was a clean install, the other two were in-place upgrades. And if memory serves, it was on the clean install where I got the warning. I certainly didn't get it on the in-place upgrade I just did on the HP Envy with the i7 4th gen that used the Rufus install media.

@fincoder

You are not wrong. The HP with the i7 4th Gen shows no TPM when I run tpm.msc.

The machine I'm typing from, which has an AMD A12-9700P does have TPM 2.0. I can't recall whether the one that has the A6 APU had TPM or not.

@nlinecomputers: Now that I think of it, I think all three were in-place upgrades. I don't recall having done a from-scratch install of Windows 11 on "incompatible" hardware now that I think of it.

If I had, that would have been on the A6 machine, and I'm virtually certain on reconsideration that it was an in-place upgrade that I did. This was the machine that triggered the topic I started about cloning from a larger HDD to a smaller SSD, and where I settled on Miray HDClone to do that. After that, the SSD was installed and I in-place upgraded.

The reason that I noticed the added dialog was because the only thing I did for that second in-place upgrade on the A6 was to have done the registry hack prior to initiating it. I had not done so on either of the other two machines.

@nlinecomputers: Now that I think of it, I think all three were in-place upgrades. I don't recall having done a from-scratch install of Windows 11 on "incompatible" hardware now that I think of it.

If I had, that would have been on the A6 machine, and I'm virtually certain on reconsideration that it was an in-place upgrade that I did. This was the machine that triggered the topic I started about cloning from a larger HDD to a smaller SSD, and where I settled on Miray HDClone to do that. After that, the SSD was installed and I in-place upgraded.

The reason that I noticed the added dialog was because the only thing I did for that second in-place upgrade on the A6 was to have done the registry hack prior to initiating it. I had not done so on either of the other two machines.
So the registry hacked one was the one that didn’t give you a warning? My system that I upgraded gave no warning and I did the hack.

So the registry hacked one was the one that didn’t give you a warning?

No, just the opposite. Since I just did the second "non-registry hacked" in-place upgrade yesterday, and got no warning, I'm pretty darned certain that it was only the machine on which I had done the hack that I got one.

Not that this is anything critical, but it is an interesting difference, and the very opposite of what I would have expected.

In my particular cases, it's having processors that are not supported,
I have an AMD X2 Athlon that's been running Win 11 for several months, and a 7th Gen i7 in an MSI GS73 VR Gaming Laptop (just upgraded from Windows 10) that refuse to install updates that are offered.
The Athlon has no TPM.
Its strange that others with older processors and no TPM have no issues. I used the registry hack on all of them.
Another thing is that both were in-place upgrades from Windows 10, keeping all files/settings and apps. If I try to do an in-place upgrade with Windows 11 it does not allow me to keep my files/settings/apps etc.

The "threats" have proven to be empty,
They download and start to install but inevitably fail. No useful information apart from the stop error codes that lead nowhere.

I just restored the Win 10 drive image created immediately before upgrading to Win 11 using the registry hack, because Win 11 was BSODing when I plugged in a multi-format media reader or a customer's 3.5" PATA drive for back-up. The media reader worked normally again in the restored Win 10. The PATA drive has been returned to the customer so can't test it after reverting.

No idea why the BSODs and may still troubleshoot them, since I restored Win 10 to a spare SSD and can just connect up the Win 11 SSD for troubleshooting. Anyone else notice any issues with Win 11 on "incompatible" hardware?

I've had some BSODs that seem to be directly connected to AMD Radeon Graphics. I'm also having an intermittent problem with File Explorer where if I use the "Open Folder" option in a browser or in Everything Search it will initially open to the correct folder, then very quickly "self switch" back to This PC or the Desktop, I'm not sure which at this very moment.

Otherwise, things have been pretty happy. My logs from the BSODs are likely still available if anyone wishes to take a look.

Back