Installed Windows 11 on my daily driver, which is "incompatible" hardware

Only on SSD. A spinning disc is going to be about 15 minutes.

This was on an SSD. I must have very bad luck, as I've never had a 5-minute completion time on an SFC /SCANNOW on any machine that I can remember. The 15-minute figure is often on the mark, regardless of type of drive, though it can be as fast as 10 minutes on occasion.

Just kicked off a fresh one at 10:56 AM. Will update with completion time, but the fact that it's already at 33% means it's working at lightning speed compared to yesterday. Why the difference? Who knows?

I just ran SFC /Scannow on all my PC's and 2 client PC's.

Client PC 1: 1 min 47 sec (Win 11/ 9th Gen i5)
Client PC2: 1 min 53 sec (Win 11/ 10th Gen i5)

My PC's
Apol-Apricot: 1 min 12 sec (Win 10/ 8th Gen i7)
Apol-Apricat: 2 min 13 sec (Win11/ 9th Gen i7)
Apol-1: 1 min 58 sec (Win 11/ 9th Gen i7)
Apol-2: 3 min 0 sec (Win 11/ 8th Gen i7) wtf?
Apol-3: 1 min 24 sec (Win 10/ 5th Gen i7)
Apol-4: 2 min 36 sec (Win 10/ 6th Gen i7)

Apol Red 2 min 56 sec (Win 10/ 4th Gen i3)
Apol Green 2 min 46 sec (Win 11/AMD Athlon X2)

So....

This is what I used to do, routinely, for years. Just because a driver wasn't created specifically for Windows 10 did not mean it was not perfectly compatible with and functional under Windows 10.

Most times I could find a Windows 8 era driver, but occasionally had to reach back to Windows 7.

There was one, and only one, thing I could never locate a driver for that worked under Windows 10, and that was an Elon touchpad that was used in a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop. And apparently I was not alone. I searched for several years, just for my amusement, and during my research I encountered a lot of people who'd gone down the same road and never found their "way to Rome," either.

I only had one Windows 7 era machine that would not upgrade to Windows 10, and that was an ASUS laptop that I still have. Windows 10 refused to install and told me, explicitly, that it wouldn't install, and why. Those details are long gone in the mists of memory.
"Elon touchpad" Isn't that where SpaceX rockets land?

A few more details/updates:

The complaint I'm getting from Windows Security on both this laptop and the other one I upgraded from 10 to 11 (both with AMD APUs, but of different generations) is this:
View attachment 14147
I'm just dismissing it since it appears that neither one of these APUs supports virtualization in a way that Windows needs it to be for this function to work. Didn't have it under Win10, so not a big deal.

Here's a shot of the "What to keep" dialog when I was installing Windows 11 on the first machine, where I did NOT have the registry hack in place but was using a Rufus created bootable drive (and running directly from it, firing it off under Windows 10):
View attachment 14148

On this machine, where I did do that registry hack, I got a dialog that I had not received on the machine that didn't have it that warned me that this was hardware that was not fully compliant with Windows 11 minimum specs and trying to ward me off of upgrading. I suspect that since Microsoft is the one that distributed that registry hack this is a built-in feature during Windows 11 install triggered from within Windows 10 if that key is present.

Just a quick post to confirm what I had observed above is also the case on another machine where I used the Rufus-tweaked Windows 11 install media but without having done the registry hack.

I do not get any warning whatsoever about the hardware not being fully compliant for Windows 11. This particular machine is an HP Envy 15 series laptop with a 4th gen i7.

This is what's showing up in the Windows Update Settings today:

1674950138458.png

I have no idea whether this is typical, or not, as this is my only Windows 11 box, but it seems consistent with Windows 10, where cumulative and feature updates require the user to hit the Download & Install link or button.

This is what's showing up in the Windows Update Settings today:

View attachment 14215

I have no idea whether this is typical, or not, as this is my only Windows 11 box, but it seems consistent with Windows 10, where cumulative and feature updates require the user to hit the Download & Install link or button.

Can confirm I see the same thing and that these updates are totally normal about once a month. What I don't know is why you are running Windows 11 on an incompatible system (even though there is no reason Microsoft was so arbitrary either)... I specifically built this computer simply because overall hardware is cheaper than my time troubleshooting stuff when there is a problem.

1674961319631.png

There is also one of these today:

1674961560620.png

What I don't know is why you are running Windows 11 on an incompatible system (even though there is no reason Microsoft was so arbitrary either)...

Curiosity and amusement, pure and simple. I just wanted to see if it could be done, and whether Windows 11 would chug on perfectly normally or not.

Ultimately, I'll be getting Windows 11 compatible hardware, but that will be a couple of years off.

Curiosity and amusement, pure and simple. I just wanted to see if it could be done, and whether Windows 11 would chug on perfectly normally or not.

Ultimately, I'll be getting Windows 11 compatible hardware, but that will be a couple of years off.
Heck I had Windows 10 years ago from the beginning. Microsoft pushed it down my throat in an accidental upgrade from Windows 7. At any rate, in the later years of that probably 21H2 it technically did NOT support my computer, but it was chugging along perfectly fine.

Could you please tell me what is the issue there?

Apparently a common one (at least under Windows 11). App and browser control is reporting that a PUP (potentially unwanted app, to be perfectly accurate) has been detected:
1674969771514.png
but if you choose Review, you get this:
1674969804261.png

showing nothing detected, and if you activate the Dismiss option, it doesn't work.

This shows up in Feedback Hub and if you web search on it many are having this experience. I am hoping Microsoft fixes this, soon, as I do monitor the Windows Security icon and not having the green check overlay when I should is annoying.

Thank you. I have several Windows 11 systems, some on unsupported hardware. I havent seen this on any of mine (yet) so good to know.

fixed itself with the upgrade to 22h2.

Not here. It occurred after 22H2 was already in place. Also, from what's "out there" on the web and in Feedback Hub, this is not limited to Windows 11 on incompatible hardware.

I figure, eventually, this will disappear after some later scan, but it's annoying.

And beta-testing for the rest of us :)

Yep.

I was also someone who thought that certainly Microsoft was finally going to pour concrete in that "line in the sand" when it came to Windows 11 and the hardware requirements for same. The early declarations about the distinct possibility of "no updates on incompatible hardware" was telegraphing that pretty clearly. But, time and field observation (including here) have made me completely reverse my thinking. The "threats" have proven to be empty, and Windows 11 seems to be running and updating just fine on hardware that is not compliant with the stated minimum requirements.

In my particular cases, it's having processors that are not supported, but all the other requirements are met. But I know of others who have way less compliant hardware that has, so far, been perfectly happy and where Windows Update has been chugging right along as it did under Windows 10.

Unless Microsoft were to suddenly cut off updates, I'll probably keep at least one of these machines long after it's not usable as a "daily driver" just to see how long Windows 11 keeps running and being updated on it.

It will be interesting to see if the Feature Update to 23H2 will apply automatically when that time comes.

Back