How much do you charge for remote computer repair services?

marcink99

Reaction score
I charge residential users flat $75 and Business users 100/hr. (Business users is considered server work).

I dont think this is the best plan as a lot of times I get people that just need audio driver reinstalled charging those users $75 could be considered a crime yes/no?

Whats your take/experience on the pricing system?

I charge the same as my on-site rate but have a half-hour minimum rather than one-hour. I can't remember ever doing a remote that wasn't an existing customer, though. Were it a new customer, I might start with a one-hour minimum.

I charge $30 for the first half-hour then $1/minute. For new customers, I require a $60 pre-payment using a credit card via Paypal to "open an account." Any unused balance will be retained for future calls or refunded upon request. Any insufficiency, they can pay by mailing me a cheque or by credit card via Paypal. All my sessions have been with established customers, who I let just mail me a cheque. Never had a problem.

I don't do much remote support, as I am just a screwdriver jockey! For the few clients I do remote support for, they are established clients, and I charge them $100.00/month for two hours of prepaid remote service, plus a remote server health check to ensure their backups are running properly and apply updates.

For the most part though, I get called in when things are bad enough that remote assistance just won't do. I up sell the remote assistance to clients when I get onsite to do the hardware work, then get asked to look at three or four other software issues "since I was there".

Our remote service charges differ a bit. We have a few flat fee rates, virus removals, tune-ups and printer issues. Then for basic support, we charge now (we just raised our rates to reflect how fast we have all become), to $39 for 15 min, $59 for 30, $79 for 45 and $99 for a full hour.

We interview every client call we get in to see if we can offer remote support first, then home visit 2nd, then in our shop.

Remote service charges

I charge $30 for the 1st half hour, then $50/hour in 1/4 hour increments for residential users. I haven't dabbled in the business market yet.

I do just like eHousecalls.ca, same rate but less of a minimum charge.

It is situational though. If the customer forgot to ask about something and I need to remote in after a repair to clarify something or got forbid I forgot to do something while the machine was in my care, I usually waive the charge fully or at least just charge the 5 min it takes. New customers or fully unrelated to a previous job falls under the half an hour minimum though.

I do some remotes but not really alot. Its not a selling point of my business either. I have some linux clients (residential) that I charge 35 bucks an hour ( 1 hour min)because the problems they have are quite simple. I suppose that if I offered it as a main stream service I would charge more.

See those commercials on tv (foxnews-they do it over the internet) about the virus repair? One really caught my eye the

guy sighs, "Looks like I have to head for the store".

Wife: Whys that honey?

Guy: I have another virus!

(why do you have to go to the store? Finally going to buy some protection?).

Funny. :)

:)

I charge $40 per half hour and my clients have been satisfied with that. For the most part, most of my remote sessions are for clients I have an established relationship with or returning clients.

I like to put a face to my client, and more importantly I believe my client would like to put a face to the company, so my initial service call with any new client is typically an onsite call.

Why would remote support be any different in India? Do you have different laws in place there about cross-border remote support?

Find a good product, develop your protocols and use them.

I charge 60/hr. remote, with a 1/2 hour min. (My onsite rate is 90/hr. and in shop rates are fixed prices.)

See those commercials on tv (foxnews-they do it over the internet) about the virus repair? One really caught my eye the

guy sighs, "Looks like I have to head for the store".

Wife: Whys that honey?

Guy: I have another virus!

(why do you have to go to the store? Finally going to buy some protection?).

Funny. :)

:)

LOL I hate that commercial.

Ya know, I always wondered why the guy was going to the "store" and wasn't bringing his laptop with him. How can I fix your virus without your laptop?!

You clarified that for me; I guess I wasn't thinking with that end-user mindset "oh, just go buy anti-virus after the infection and that'll fix it up."

I used to charge $65/hr but only end up getting 1 or 2 new client a month. I change to flat rate and it work out really good. For regular job (software installation, virus removal) I charge either $25 or $65 regardless how long it takes. For details see http://www.snccomputerrepair.com/onlinesupport.php

For enterprise network (router/switch/firewall) and file servers still charge per hour. Fix rate for project like Web programming and mentoring, etc

Free support for existing customer if less than 15 mins.

Roel

Our remote service charges differ a bit. We have a few flat fee rates, virus removals, tune-ups and printer issues. Then for basic support, we charge now (we just raised our rates to reflect how fast we have all become), to $39 for 15 min, $59 for 30, $79 for 45 and $99 for a full hour.

We interview every client call we get in to see if we can offer remote support first, then home visit 2nd, then in our shop.

DO you guys charge sales tax on top of these prices or is it included with the price?

Move to Australia and you won't have to search for them, they'll call you.

Agreed we sometimes get up to a 6 or 7 calls a week. We even get them calling our shop ?? Why you would call a computer shop to ask if they want their computers repaired i have no idea.

Back