Help me with Laptop Recovery Issue Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maldaresi

Toshiba Sateelite E45t-B4300 Running Windows 8.1, Intel i5-4210U CPU @1.70GHz 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64 Bit OS x64 Processor

So I really messed up my laptop. This is going to be a long explanation so I don't leave anything out that may be important.
I have a Toshiba Satellite E45t-B4300. I wanted to completely overwrite my hard disk with Darik's Nuke and Boot. So I followed all the steps and took the precautions necessary (or so i thought).

I have 3 USB drives, one with Toshiba Recovery Media, one with Windows 8.1 ISO files and I know the product key for Windows that came pre-installed, and one with Darik's Nuke and Boot. So after copying everything I want from my computer to an external Hard Drive, the only thing i changed at all with my computer was I made it so that USB was first priority in BIOS for Boot Option. When I restarted the computer with only the USB with DBAN on it, all I would get was a Recovery screen saying my computer needs to be repaired and to insert the necessary recovery media. I tried using my recovery USB which for some reason alone didn't work but then when I plugged all 3 USB sticks in, it brought me to some system recovery tool which I chose the option to delete hard disk and recover the laptop to factory state. So that's what it did and the laptop worked I just had to install everything over again.

So I was using the laptop fine until it died today so I plugged it in and started it up. I got the same recovery screen as i mentioned before. After trying to start it the same as last time, I had no luck at all. No matter what media was plugged in it would not work. So I hit ESC to bring me to some menu options where I couldn't find anything to recover. I tried messing with everything though and I changed it to USB priority boot again and set a master HDD password. I restarted it, typed the password, and got the same screen. So then I messed with more settings stupidly and disabled secure boot and changed some setting which only had two options. One allows only UETF or something OS to boot and if you change it it allows CMS OS or non UETF OS to boot. Since I changed that last setting about the OS, when I restart, it asks me for the HDD/SSD password which i type in correctly, and it loads for a few seconds and the screen kind of flashes like its loading, and then it prompts me for the password again. I am 100% sure the password is correct, it is simple and i typed it correctly in this prompt multiple times before. But now it seems to be stuck, i tried the factory reset where you hold 0 and power up but it doesn't work.

So after this I unscrewed the battery then held the power button for a while, upon replacing the battery I was prompted for the HDD password and then brought to system preferences this time. Upon exiting it brought me to the recovery wizard, so its recovering now, but how do I make it not require me to do this every time to shut down or the laptop dies? Even once recovery is done, it prompts me to start the recovery again when the USB sticks for my Windows ISO and Toshiba recovery media are connected. When I unplug them and restart, I type my HDD password then it says Loading Files, and boots up AGAIN to the Recovery of Factory Default Software automatically without me doing anything but typing the HDD password. It says initializing and after 30 seconds it reverses back and goes to the HDD password prompt again.

After I type the password, the laptop boots as if out of the box. It prompts me to personalize all the settings and accept the license terms and loads Windows fine with all my old data and programs deleted.

Ideally I would l like to be able to boot from my DBAN USB and overwrite the hard disk, then be able to restart with my Toshiba Recovery and Windows ISO and Key. But I would at least like to be able to restart my computer without it recovering itself to factory settings every time. What must I do please help me?

This forum is for computer repair professionals only.

I suggest you take your laptop to a local professional, and let them take a look.

We do not give free advice to computer users.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back