Help - Fortnite crashes frequently on my PC

timeshifter

Reaction score
First, I'll admit a little bit of an addiction to Fortnite Battle Royale.

I've got a decent PC to run it: Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, SSD, Windows 10, etc. The game will crash occasionally. When it crashes, it's only that application that goes down. Everything else on the PC seems to keep chugging along. 90% of the time the program will just disappear with no crash reporter dialog box.

The crashes are usually precipitated by some stuttering. At one point they seemed to happen on the same area of the map.

A quick Google search doesn't yield a lot of info. I did change my Epic Games Launcher program to use 64 bit by changing the path for the shortcut as described in one video. Also tried limiting frames to 120.

There seems to be a corresponding event in the Event Viewer - Applications. It's fairly generic, and I'm not there right now to pull it up.

I'm wondering if it's a memory issue? I pulled 8GB out of another machine to bring this one up to 16GB. But I did that long before crashing became a problem. Maybe the newer version of the game uses more memory and is related.

This became an issue with Season 4 (aka version 4.x). Crashes were pretty rare in prior versions.

Maybe an uninstall, reinstall of the game is in order.

Any other ideas?

Check out this dudes reg hack/fix. Lots of folks complaining about intermittent crashes of this game.

I might give that a try, but he specifically states it’s for a crash on startup. Mine starts up and runs fine most of the time, until it doesn’t.

How about temps on the GPU and CPU? Stuttering until failure, after a bit of play, could be a heat related deal.

That’s a good point. What temperature ranges for each might indicate a problem?

Just crashed again, after about 30-40 minutes of game(s). GPU temp was around 55C.

rPUmbqC.png

RL0NGPV.png

A short time later, I look over (game is not running) and I see the blue "Oops" screen with the frowny face, finishing the countdown to reboot. When it comes up I go and find these events:

MT0r2EU.png

SHiL2BD.png

Interesting thought. I think it's a decent power supply, maybe 600W, but I don't recall. Will have to check. Would the PSU cause just one app to crash, but not others?
Yes it can if that particular part of the game map needs to be rendered in real time. The GTX 1060 will draw a huge amount of current which could cause the card to flake out because the PSU can't keep up.
55 deg is "normal" for a 1060.

But it looks like you have a problem with a Windows component from the logs above.

Try disableing/killing Cortana and see what happens.

Do you have all current os updates + direct x? - even running from the game folder DX can install older drivers needed.

Latest GFX drivers or rollback?

SFC /Scannow bring any results?

It shouldn't be hardware related - as isn't doing odd things on other games yea?

Last edited:
Dont see how Cortana could interfere with an application.
Look at the first screenshot from the Event Log I posted in post #10. Last error before crash (total system crash, BSOD) was "Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana..."

Haven't seen that before on this system, maybe not related.

yes i did see that - but maybe an update was in progress? DCOM errors have a lot to do with CPU load - u havnt overclocked ur system?

Reactions: GTP
yes i did see that - but maybe an update was in progress? DCOM errors have a lot to do with CPU load - u havnt overclocked ur system?
Good point, and could also indicate not enough gumbo in the PSU for CPU and 1060 under load.
The Cortana error could be just an unfortunate coincidence.

Ram or ssd would be my main suspects here.

So many times I've found faulty ram in customers machines by running a benchmarking application like 3dmark where it doesn't show a fault in memtest overnight.

Back