Outlook crashes on subscribed folders, solved

xxenon

Reaction score
Just ran into an Outlook 365 problem that I had never seen before, thought I would pass it on. Was referred to a client who had a problem with Outlook crashing. They had been thru Staples Tech Support, Rogers, etc. gave up and bought a new PC. Problem still there. I connected remotely and did the usual Outlook troubleshooting, no luck.

Noticed that Outlook was taking a long time to download their subscribed folders; unsubscribed them all, no more crashes. Found out that with IMAP servers, Outlook downloads content of all subscribed folders, not just headers, every time it checks for new mail.
Got client to choose which folders didn't need to be current (a lot), archived them, problem solved.

Reason #48457 why you don't use Outlook for IMAP. It's an Exchange client... put it on an Exchange server where it belongs.

Also check on a file which is stopping it, as may be a large file, corrupted or errored redirecting in a loop. I would ask the client to have a good cleanout of the 365 Server. The issue may pop up again.

Back